F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has used valvoline maxlife in the 6 speed trans or transfer case? Ive been using it in my Lexus GX and noticed it is compatible with Mercon LV.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one? Not even to tell me I am a moron for not just using Mercon LV? I expected better.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've never really considering using their trans fluid, what's the price difference, too lazy to check the Google.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And just FYI, this is what I am talking about:

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
No one? Not even to tell me I am a moron for not just using Mercon LV? I expected better.
Lol
Nobody is going to type "you are a moron".

At least not anyone who has read your many posts. :)

But you ARE crazy.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never really considering using their trans fluid, what's the price difference, too lazy to check the Google.
I cant find it on walmart anymore. Thats where i was getting it for the lexus.

My purchase history says it was $17.97 a gallon at walmart back in October.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mercon LV is $32 a gallon at Walmart, so almost double the price.

The price isnt the issue for me though, $30 every 30k miles or whatever won't matter. Just wondering if the Valvoline Maxlife is a better product kinda like how Pennzoil Ultra Plati or Mobil1 oil is generally considered a superior oil to Motorcraft Synthetic Blend.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
If you start asking if some other brand of MERCON LV is better than Motorcrafts, then this will officially be an oil thread!

I look forward to it. :)

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you start asking if some other brand of MERCON LV is better than Motorcrafts, then this will officially be an oil thread!

I look forward to it. :)

I mean, I think its generally accepted that there are better oils than Motorcraft Semi-syn. I've just never heard anyone obsess over ATF before so I really don't know what kind of differences there may be, better or worse.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Well I'm currently a scamsoil patron since their stuff is in everything except the radiator and brake system. (both diffs/tranny/transfer case/motor)

I obviously wasn't shopping price, but rather picking a mechanic that I trusted enough to mess with my chariot. He just happens to feed his family on Amsoil profits as well as the hourly going rate for his experience.

Tranny shifts wonderfully. But I really couldn't complain before. The biggest problem I see is mixing two products, so I need to get by there and swap fluids again. Hopefully twice will be sufficient?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I didn't realize mercon was that expensive. I've never understood the "maxlife" line, why not just make it your regular? I'm guessing it's similar to their maxlife oil?? I'm not saying it doesn't work, just that Idk if making the switch will gain you longevity vs regular fluid.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
17 Posts
I can only offer anecdotal, but not scientific, input.

No oil analysis, and of course I can’t say what would have happened in an alternate universe where I didn’t run it, but...

I ran all Valvoline MaxLif products in my previous Silverado for the last 110k miles I had it. SynBlend 5-40 in the engine and full syn in the manual transmission (an apple to our current 6sp auto orange) and axle.

Ran truck to 265k miles and swore by that family of products. No issues with those components. Felt like the tranny synchros liked it better than what I used before, and it cured some valve rattle in the engine that never came.

Also ran it in a dodge I had for 80k miles, but only in the engine and axles.

Was planning to use it in my f150 but didn’t see anyone singing Valvoline praises when I joined the forum. So I went the penzoil platinum route (sheep), thinking even while I can’t know whether it’s better than Valvoline, I at least know it is widely trusted to be good enough.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
2,243 Posts
Mercon LV is $32 a gallon at Walmart, so almost double the price.

The price isnt the issue for me though, $30 every 30k miles or whatever won't matter. Just wondering if the Valvoline Maxlife is a better product kinda like how Pennzoil Ultra Plati or Mobil1 oil is generally considered a superior oil to Motorcraft Synthetic Blend.
OK ! You done and started it now !

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Motorcraft sucks!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Pretty sure ford spec is for a special “transfer case fluid”

Merc LV in tranny, this in t-case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
On my 10r80, Ford specifies the MERCON ULV
But the transfer case "MERCON LV Transmission fluid"

By the way, Fords ULV is like a 5.5 weight, and GM's spec for the same tranny is about a 6.5-7 from an article I read.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty sure ford spec is for a special “transfer case fluid”

Merc LV in tranny, this in t-case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was only for the regular 4x4 t case. The 4Auto case always took LV.

But now even the regular 4x4 case is Mercon LV. They discontinued the tcase fluid and it was replaced by the LV.

·
Registered
613 Posts
LV is new spec, even gen 1 t-case.
I might try maxlife. I've been using valvoline Modern Engine for several thousand miles, price was cheapest synthetic at local store. The store no longer stocks this and I'm going to the next best option, maxlife was $22.99 5qt jug.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
2,243 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts