F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to HP Tuners, and have a Stock Tune to play around with....

I'm looking for a strong "Tune" for a Stock/Near stock 2011-2014 Ecoboost to see what they've done, and were improvements can be made. Been reading their forum, but very limited info on tuning our Ecoboosts unfortunately...

Looking to increase boost, adjust shift points, waste gate, etc...

Have a Hypertech plug-in, but not much value in their tune. Minimal changes, and only offer a 91 octane "premium fuel" tune, beside a 87 octane regular fuel tune (pointless).

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts

I'm looking for a strong "Tune" for a Stock/Near stock 2011-2014 Ecoboost to see what they've done, and were improvements can be made. Been reading their forum, but very limited info on tuning our Ecoboosts unfortunately...

Have a Hypertech plug-in, but not much value in their tune. Minimal changes, and only offer a 91 octane "premium fuel" tune, beside a 87 octane regular fuel tune (pointless).
Are you asking for one of us to give you a copy of a professional tune?

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In a way... but without having to spend $500. I guess I'll have to hold off til info flows through the HP Tuner forum - as more people realize the potential in our trucks. Mine is 100% stock other than a K&N airfilter, and the Hypertech programmer with 87 & 91 octane canned tunes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually looking to someone with years of HP Tuners experience who did their own tune and is willing to share the knowledge where we can all improve and personalize our on tunes.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Nothing like starting with the most difficult vehicle to tune! I would suggest the Tuning School also.
I have been learning HP on my coyote crate in another vehicle. I really like the product but learning it has been slow.

·
Banned
332 Posts

Op

Join the Facebook group "boosted ecoboost (ecoboost tuning and tech) "

There is a lot of information there on how and what to do.

There are some tunes floating around out there, but honestly they are ones you don't want to start with. You are better off just learning from scratch.

I can also do a base tune for you that you can then build on or I can do a full tune that you don't have too touch. If you are interested in that email [email protected].

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Don't make this your first tuning experience.

There are hundreds of tables to go over and adjust to properly tune these motors and transmissions. Start with something easier and use the tuning school as your main source of information. No one is just going to hand you over something that has been worked on extensively for hours and hours. There are ways to trick the ECU to provide more boost but it's not the best or safest ways to do it. It's not like you can go into the stock file, change some tables and see a noticeable change in power, fuel economy and shifting on these platforms and also have it be safe and reliable. You've got to log your torque sources, see where it's getting it's timing from, it's torque reference from, how it's calculating the load at a given throttle input and boost pressure and spark and AFR and which tables it's using to give the final output.

There's a lot to this and not for the faint of heart. You could cause some serious damage if you are not careful or don't know what you're doing.

Reactions: Green Monster

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I should probably mention that I've been using HP Tuners for about 8 years now and actually paid a professional tuner here on the forums for my tunes as I was completely not willing to spend the time to learn this ECU the way I needed to to get the most reliable power form my truck. It was worth my money as time is not something I have for this platform currently. I tried to do it myself but there was just too much trial an error when I was starting out a year ago on this platform.

I chose my professional tuner based on what I've seen in his tunes. I can go in and change what I want to my liking as well since I have HP Tuners, but I'm perfectly happy with my purchased tune.

Oh, and data log, data log, data log and data log some more.

·
Banned
332 Posts

There are hundreds of tables to go over and adjust to properly tune these motors and transmissions. Start with something easier and use the tuning school as your main source of information. No one is just going to hand you over something that has been worked on extensively for hours and hours. There are ways to trick the ECU to provide more boost but it's not the best or safest ways to do it. It's not like you can go into the stock file, change some tables and see a noticeable change in power, fuel economy and shifting on these platforms and also have it be safe and reliable. You've got to log your torque sources, see where it's getting it's timing from, it's torque reference from, how it's calculating the load at a given throttle input and boost pressure and spark and AFR and which tables it's using to give the final output.

There's a lot to this and not for the faint of heart. You could cause some serious damage if you are not careful or don't know what you're doing.
I agree, you don't want this to be your first, I've been tuning since 08 and the ecoboost logic is a nightmare to learn. I love it now, because of how much control you have. But it took a year to learn, and I had the hpt engineers one speed dial. I was also extra picky to make sure I kept the original intent of the ecu logic built in. There are a lot of tuners that use "tricks" and manipulation to get the results they want, and that's what you don't want to do with this logic. It's way too dynamic for that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Op

Join the Facebook group "boosted ecoboost (ecoboost tuning and tech) "

There is a lot of information there on how and what to do.

There are some tunes floating around out there, but honestly they are ones you don't want to start with. You are better off just learning from scratch.

I can also do a base tune for you that you can then build on or I can do a full tune that you don't have too touch. If you are interested in that email [email protected].

Thanks, will check it out later today... Dislike FB though!
Will follow up with you later.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been tuning with HP Tuners for about 7 years and have been doing the tuning on my 2012 Ecoboost as well as a bit of tuning on a few other trucks. I probably wouldn't even be able to add up all of the hours I have in learning the ecoboost platform but I could help give you some direction of where to start if your interested. Right now with GT Turbos and most bolt on's with 91 octane on 18psi boost my truck is making 418 hp at the wheels and 469 lbft.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Actually looking to someone with years of HP Tuners experience who did their own tune and is willing to share the knowledge where we can all improve and personalize our on tunes.
Everything you need to know is on hptuners site. No doubt you already looked there...

i think $500 is a small investment for what they give you. As mentioned I don't think everything they teach in that class is the right way but it is a way. If you want to learn it is the way to go.

they other option is follow along with the thread on hptuners / Facebook group and do it the hard way.

the last thing I will add is if you do choose to pay for a tune make sure it is unlocked, things change and tuners come and go.

One blown motor will end your fun and ruin a tuner.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Like always post your tune and a log if you want help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like always post your tune and a log if you want help.
TX-Ripper,
Haven't even gone as far as doing a full "Read" of my ECU yet... Still gathering info - and for one of the reasons you stated; "One blown motor will end your fun!"
So, I'm going slow, reading, learning, and gathering every bit of information I can get my hands on before I do anything I might regret!
If I do try and tune my truck, since it's out of warranty, I'll be happy to post up the files; Config, Tune, Log, the works so that others just starting out where I am now can learn from my experience, and not "blow up" theirs either!
Currently working on my 98 Camaro SS (yes, I know; "GM...") And still learning how to tune it, and don't want to further confuse myself by trying to learn Ford tuning at the same time!
I appreciate all the very good advice you've provided.
Thank you!
Mike

·
Banned
332 Posts
TX-Ripper,
Haven't even gone as far as doing a full "Read" of my ECU yet... Still gathering info - and for one of the reasons you stated; "One blown motor will end your fun!"
So, I'm going slow, reading, learning, and gathering every bit of information I can get my hands on before I do anything I might regret!
If I do try and tune my truck, since it's out of warranty, I'll be happy to post up the files; Config, Tune, Log, the works so that others just starting out where I am now can learn from my experience, and not "blow up" theirs either!
Currently working on my 98 Camaro SS (yes, I know; "GM...") And still learning how to tune it, and don't want to further confuse myself by trying to learn Ford tuning at the same time!
I appreciate all the very good advice you've provided.
Thank you!
Mike
Honestly it's really really hard To blow up a motor. What you are gonna find is it's actually 10 times harder just to get through all of the limits that limit the power. But with the over sensitive Knock sensor and all the other safety in the logic it would really be hard. Where people get themself into trouble is tricking the logic, Or shutting safeties off. If you have no you're doing and you stick with the original logic you'd be hard pressed to do permanent damage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

100% in agreement with you. Going to go slow, read, learn, study, and when I'm confident I can't screw it up, then I'll read through everyone one more time BEFORE I change a thing!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts