F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Carbonized Gray F150 XLT SuperCrew 3.5l Ecoboost/MaxTow/302A High
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an app and obd dongle I can use to run an app similar to torque on my iPhone for monitoring trans and coolant temps?

Normally not concerned but with an upcoming trip in the next few days and temps forecasted for the mid-upper 90s, it starts to weigh on my mind.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Check out “car scanner” has a free and paid version… does not need a proprietary dongle. I just use a cheapo off of amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks! Which profile do you use? The one with can plus extra pids or the first generic one?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My old cheapie elm adapter doesn’t work with my iPhone so guess I need another..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there an app and obd dongle I can use to run an app similar to torque on my iPhone for monitoring trans and coolant temps?

Normally not concerned but with an upcoming trip in the next few days and temps forecasted for the mid-upper 90s, it starts to weigh on my mind.
I used ODB Fusion with the additional Ford PIDs. It will do what you want, i used a wifi adapter to the ODB2 PORT..
Light Font Line Auto part Circle

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
OBdFusion and OBDLink(same app but OBDLink requires you use their OBD adapter) are extremely powerful. More powerful than Torque once youve downloaded the enhanced diagnostic add on for your truck.

Forscan Lite is also great

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks guys. I ordered this: vLinker MC+ from amazon last night. I will see this weekend if it works or not I guess. Kinda a MX clone I guess. So it wasn't the cheapest one, nor the most expensive, though looks like it has much success with other vehicles.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Unfortunately, none of the bluetooth OBDII adapters work with iphone, has to be wifi. Mine can be a bit particular to get connected. Whats really neat is when you need to search for something in the interwebs but your phone says "no internet connection" b/c its connected to the obd2 dongle.

Let us know what app(s) you try out and how you like them.

·
Super Moderator
1,107 Posts
OBdFusion and OBDLink(same app but OBDLink requires you use their OBD adapter) are extremely powerful. More powerful than Torque once youve downloaded the enhanced diagnostic add on for your truck.

Forscan Lite is also great
I see in the Apple App store FORScan Viewer (free) and FORScan Lite ($6.99). Your recommendation is FORScan Lite or ODBLink - no need for both right?

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I see in the Apple App store FORScan Viewer (free) and FORScan Lite ($6.99). Your recommendation is FORScan Lite or ODBLink - no need for both right?
OBDLink is free if you have their adapter and I believe the MX+ adapter comes with a few enhanced diagnostics add-ons. I downloaded them for both my Lexus and F150 for free. I have an absolutely insane amount of PID's available on both. I can literally monitor PIDs for the module that controls the drivers seat in the lexus.

I already owned the OBDLink MX+ because it was compatible with the iphone. Not all bluetooth adapters are.

That said, I have both it and Forscan Lite. I would say they are similarly powerful in terms of what they can do to the F150, however, the ODBLink app is capable of working with other brands of cars. So if you own a bunch of different cars, and want just one app, I think OBDLink(and OBDFusion) are probably the better option.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
377 Posts
^^^ I 2nd this. OBDLink app with the MX+ iPhone app is hard to beat. It’s why tuner stays in the glove box, their monitoring pales in comparison (vs SCT BDX and an Edge CS2).

·
Super Moderator
1,107 Posts
^^^ I 2nd this. OBDLink app with the MX+ iPhone app is hard to beat. It’s why tuner stays in the glove box, their monitoring pales in comparison (vs SCT BDX and an Edge CS2).
Good to hear this as my Amazon delivery of the OBDLink MX+ just arrived!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ll give the one I have coming a shot, but if I can’t get it working, I’ll send it back and spring for the real deal. Hopefully it will be here before lunch so I can run home and grab it before picking up the trailer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I was able to get the one I linked from Amazon to work. It worked with car scanner, obd fusion, forscan viewer and forscan lite.

However the only one I could get to show me trans temp car scanner. And it was one specific set of pids (I guess) that show trans, and if I wanted to see coolant I had to use a different set. Could not see both at the same time.

obd fusion would only show coolant temp not trans, and forscan viewer and lite frankly scared me that I could mess something up somehow (obd fusion as well, just not as much) so I decided to stop messing with them.

It takes a bit of time for forscan to connect but I think it’s because it’s loading and connecting to “everything” in the truck before it lets you try to make changes. Obd fusion took a min as well but not as long as forscan. Car scanner was fairly quick in comparison.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Ok so I was able to get the one I linked from Amazon to work. It worked with car scanner, obd fusion, forscan viewer and forscan lite.

However the only one I could get to show me trans temp car scanner. And it was one specific set of pids (I guess) that show trans, and if I wanted to see coolant I had to use a different set. Could not see both at the same time.

obd fusion would only show coolant temp not trans, and forscan viewer and lite frankly scared me that I could mess something up somehow (obd fusion as well, just not as much) so I decided to stop messing with them.

It takes a bit of time for forscan to connect but I think it’s because it’s loading and connecting to “everything” in the truck before it lets you try to make changes. Obd fusion took a min as well but not as long as forscan. Car scanner was fairly quick in comparison.
for fusion to work effectively you need the enhanced diagnostic add on for your year of ford.

This is from my OBDLink app but should look the same as OBDFusion

Font Screenshot Technology Slope Darkness

Reactions: {tpc}

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
13,087 Posts
On Android I gave Forscan Lite a scan of the truck last night to get an idea of what pids were available.

It was a bit overwhelming, to be honest. There were 30 pids just related to the Shock absorbers and height sensors. Another 10 pids for the hybrid battery.

I now know what I will be doing if my Ngauge finally pukes. I'll go ODB/USB to Forscan Lite on a small Samsung tablet. Would really like to have a first class mount of some kind though.

By the way, nothing oil temp related. Kinda surprised considering the vast list of pids available.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
On Android I gave Forscan Lite a scan of the truck last night to get an idea of what pids were available.

It was a bit overwhelming, to be honest. There were 30 pids just related to the Shock absorbers and height sensors. Another 10 pids for the hybrid battery.

I now know what I will be doing if my Ngauge finally pukes. I'll go ODB/USB to Forscan Lite on a small Samsung tablet. Would really like to have a first class mount of some kind though.

By the way, nothing oil temp related. Kinda surprised considering the vast list of pids available.
Sometimes its better not to see whats in the sausage factory.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
for fusion to work effectively you need the enhanced diagnostic add on for your year of ford.

This is from my OBDLink app but should look the same as OBDFusion

View attachment 179682
So it looks like another $15 for enhanced ford stuff. Not sure I’ll be spending more on this.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
So it looks like another $15 for enhanced ford stuff. Not sure I’ll be spending more on this.
Yeah I guess. Idk what Fusion costs, I just know its the same software as OBDLink.

OBDLink was free and I got, I believe, two add-ons free with the MX+ adapter. So I paid more for the adapter but made some of it back in software

1 - 20 of 20 Posts