F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the 3.5-liter PowerBoost with the 7.2K watt generator. My 2018 3.5 ecoboost averagees 18-19 MPG. I drive 1600 miles a month so what I really want to know is are you really seeing 24MPG with the all-new 3.5-liter PowerBoost???

If I can increase my MPG by 6 MPG i'll save $50/mo in pump fees if I really can get 24 MPG. I drive 1-2 hrs per trip on the highway each way so I would really expect to be able to take advantage of the hybrid electric engine. I don't have a loaded truck so i'm driving with basically no payload.

thanks in advance.

meterman

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the 3.5-liter PowerBoost with the 7.2K watt generator. My 2018 3.5 ecoboost averagees 18-19 MPG. I drive 1600 miles a month so what I really want to know is are you really seeing 24MPG with the all-new 3.5-liter PowerBoost???

If I can increase my MPG by 6 MPG i'll save $50/mo in pump fees if I really can get 24 MPG. I drive 1-2 hrs per trip on the highway each way so I would really expect to be able to take advantage of the hybrid electric engine. I don't have a loaded truck so i'm driving with basically no payload.

thanks in advance.

meterman
I dont know anyone on here who has one yet.

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
Spend a ton more per month on a new truck and more insurance just to save $50?

Reactions: eeore39648

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't know for sure if it will benefit you since it's highway miles, I was under the impression the hybrid will benefit you more for city driving

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
725 Posts
Sounds like you are stretching for a reason to get a new truck because that math makes no financial sense.

·
Registered
951 Posts
That's how they get you, "mpg increase, you'll save money!! Just buy new". So, $600 (theory) a year of savings?
Consider the following:
you have a 3 yr old truck, did you see an increase in mpg over your old one? If so, how much? Did it cover your costs after 3 years to make it worth it?
It's a cute thought, but people don't keep their vehicle long enough to realize any cost savings.

The full electric f150 is coming out soon! You can save infinity dollars, will you trade in your hybrid for that?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
The powerboost is a generator right, there is no hybrid where it moves on a battery only in certain instances? Either way, it is the same 3.5 engine and truck will weight more. You are not going to get better fuel economy than any other year.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
The powerboost is a generator right, there is no hybrid where it moves on a battery only in certain instances? Either way, it is the same 3.5 engine and truck will weight more. You are not going to get better fuel economy than any other year.
Its both. Powerboost is an electric motor sandwiched between the 3.5L and the 10 speed. So it can drive the truck purely on electric only or as a hybrid.

It also acts as a generator by using the 3.5L to spin the electric motor.

·
Registered
2018 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EB, Magma Red, Max Tow, Sport Pkg.
22 Posts
At 18 mpg your 1600 miles/month uses about 1066 gallons/yr. At 24 MPG thats about 800 gallons/yr. The difference of 266 gallons/yr at 3.25/gallon is $866 bucks/year or $72/month. The savings will go up and down based on the price of gas, best to convert to gallons first. At 3.50 a gallon its only $77/month in savings.

It's new, and probably a really cool truck so you should get it. :)

People buy on emotion and justify with logic...

If a full electic is about 100 empg, then it would save you 874 gallons/year or $2842/year at 3.25/gallon, can't wait to see the full electric one... cheers.

·
Registered
725 Posts
But how much will your electric go up to charge it?

At 18 mpg your 1600 miles/month uses about 1066 gallons/yr. At 24 MPG thats about 800 gallons/yr. The difference of 266 gallons/yr at 3.25/gallon is $866 bucks/year or $72/month. The savings will go up and down based on the price of gas, best to convert to gallons first. At 3.50 a gallon its only $77/month in savings.

It's new, and probably a really cool truck so you should get it. :)

People buy on emotion and justify with logic...

If a full electic is about 100 empg, then it would save you 874 gallons/year or $2842/year at 3.25/gallon, can't wait to see the full electric one... cheers.

·
Registered
2018 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EB, Magma Red, Max Tow, Sport Pkg.
22 Posts
But how much will your electric go up to charge it?
Interesting question. You're either paying for gas or kWh, so the real question is which is cheaper and how can you compare the two? I've got a 15 kWh solar system so my kWh costs are very low.

The compare standard MPG vs MPGe the answer is in the MPG equivalent that equates the costs to make it simple to understand. As long as the conversion and assumptions are realistic, you can treat it as 1-to-1, where 25 MPG = 25 MPGe. Then you can add up your savings as shown above. If gas or electricity costs change dramatically the conversions go out the window.

Good explanation here https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/what-is-mpge explaining different costs so you can get accurate info based on your electricity costs vs buying electricity when away from home.

Low cost of energy in kWh is same as low cost of gas, and vehicle efficiency in miles per kWh is same as efficiency in miles per gallon. To justify a new electric or hybrid ride, you need to find the efficiency of vehicle which is measured in lower values of energy used as kWh /100 km. So, if a bad ass Tesla is 93 MPGe, then I hope a F-150 will come in at (20 mpg x 4) or 80 MPGe meaning fuel cost and efficiency is factor of 4 times cheaper than current gas economy for 3.5 EB at 20 mpg average. Full Electrics rated using MPGe (the equivalent cost to get a full charge and [x] number of miles) make it easy to compare at 1-to-1 for fuel cost per mile. The more you drive the quicker the fuel savings add up.

To keep the theme, in the future I hope to justify why a really cool 2025 Electric F-150 makes sense, with some real numbers showing just how much I'm saving. Same way I rationalized that fuel cost savings in 2.7 vs 3.5 EB was next to nothing compared to benefits of extra HP and torque. Thankfully wife agreed with my logic that 3.5 EB was the way to go. I couldn't quite justify a 3.5 EB vs the new power boost at 24 mpg on fuel costs alone. On fuel Meterman will only save about $70/month going from 18 mpg to 24 mpg. As Mulyhuntr suggested you may need another reason.

-- Cheers, good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Interesting question. You're either paying for gas or kWh, so the real question is which is cheaper and how can you compare the two? I've got a 15 kWh solar system so my kWh costs are very low.

The compare standard MPG vs MPGe the answer is in the MPG equivalent that equates the costs to make it simple to understand. As long as the conversion and assumptions are realistic, you can treat it as 1-to-1, where 25 MPG = 25 MPGe. Then you can add up your savings as shown above. If gas or electricity costs change dramatically the conversions go out the window.

Good explanation here https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/what-is-mpge explaining different costs so you can get accurate info based on your electricity costs vs buying electricity when away from home.

Low cost of energy in kWh is same as low cost of gas, and vehicle efficiency in miles per kWh is same as efficiency in miles per gallon. To justify a new electric or hybrid ride, you need to find the efficiency of vehicle which is measured in lower values of energy used as kWh /100 km. So, if a bad ass Tesla is 93 MPGe, then I hope a F-150 will come in at (20 mpg x 4) or 80 MPGe meaning fuel cost and efficiency is factor of 4 times cheaper than current gas economy for 3.5 EB at 20 mpg average. Full Electrics rated using MPGe (the equivalent cost to get a full charge and [x] number of miles) make it easy to compare at 1-to-1 for fuel cost per mile. The more you drive the quicker the fuel savings add up.

To keep the theme, in the future I hope to justify why a really cool 2025 Electric F-150 makes sense, with some real numbers showing just how much I'm saving. Same way I rationalized that fuel cost savings in 2.7 vs 3.5 EB was next to nothing compared to benefits of extra HP and torque. Thankfully wife agreed with my logic that 3.5 EB was the way to go. I couldn't quite justify a 3.5 EB vs the new power boost at 24 mpg on fuel costs alone. On fuel Meterman will only save about $70/month going from 18 mpg to 24 mpg. As Mulyhuntr suggested you may need another reason.

-- Cheers, good luck with your decision.
This.

If i bought an electric car or truck I’d be putting a solar array on my house too.

Right now there is no way I can justify solar since my average electric bill throughout the year is ~$48.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts