F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 f150 2.7 Ecoboost with 25,000 miles on it just started dieing completely at stop signs and stop lights unless I disable the auto shutdown startup but I do have the wrench light until the next time I shut off the engine then the wrench light is gone. If I don't disable the auto shutoff and restart it will die again the next time I come to a stop sign or light. I know you will say take it to a dealer as it is under warranty but I am 1000 miles from home and need to leave for home on Sunday. I tried to get it into a Ford garage nearby today with no luck.

Has anyone on here had this problem¿ If so what was the fix¿ I have thought about running a wire to the two terminals at the back of the switch on the auto shutoff but I don't want to do that if there is any warranty issue that might occur.

·
Administrator
770 Posts
Just shut off auto start stop til you can get home. Also use Ford pass app to see what the wrench is about

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just shut off auto start stop til you can get home. Also use Ford pass app to see what the wrench is about

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Thanks Purefection, I just got my pickup in to see about the problem I was having. It was diagnosed as the auxiliary transmission pump and a new one was ordered. I did a little checking online on this problem and saw where it was pretty common and a good thing that it happened while my pickup was covered under full warranty as after the 3 years or 36,000 miles it would be approximately a $600.00 fix. As it is not considered an internal transmission part.

I would think that Ford should rethink the fix not being covered after coming off of the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty as it seems to be a fairly frequent problem for something that they have added to improve fuel mileage. My truck is a 2016 F 150 2.7 engine and it seems that this problem was something that mainly appeared in the 2015-2016 F 150's with the 2.7. As Ford was just getting into installing the auto stop start feature. One of the posts I found on this showed that the part number for the new auxiliary pump and the picture of the new pump was different then the old original pump.

Now for my questions it will be almost a week before the part gets in and I asked my dealer about getting my pickup back until the part came in and the service manager advised against it saying that it could cause problems the longer I drove it with the malfunction. I had been shutting off the auto stop start switch since the problem started which in turn shut off the yellow wrench light or the limp mode light. I did notice though that my fuel mileage had dropped some as I usually got between 22-24 mpg. on the hwy. and after the problem started the best I was able to get was 21 mpg. I am thinking if I had done the auto shut off of the stop start feature each time the engine started I would have never known I had a problem with the auxiliary pump on the transmission. Also If I had shutoff the auto stop start feature each time I started the engine I wonder if after the pump failed I would have ever noticed a drop in mpg.

Anyway I will be without my truck for close to a week until the new auxiliary pump arrives and is installed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, why do you thank your milage dropped lower? I am having my F-150 work on now for the very same issue. Would there be any solutions to followup on with Ford if my milage drops, too?

·
Registered
402 Posts
The 6r80 wasn’t conceived with start-stop in mind and things like the aux pump were added to make it work. Often with more problems and failures. The 10r80 was designed with s/s in the planning stage and doesn’t seem to have the same failure rate (yet?).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts