·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Spend $10G and do a 2.8 Cummins swap!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You know what you have right now. Unless you go buy a brand new vehicle, you won't know nearly as much about the condition of your next vehicle as you do about the Jeep. I would vote fix it and keep it
That is where I am heading now I think. I found a shop in the UK that has lightly used complete heads for $500 shipped to the US. I have talked to one guy who is the "unofficial" Jeep CRD collector who has bought 6 heads from them and another guy who is a diesel mechanic in Wyoming(who I've met in person) bought one from them after he dropped a valve. Both said the heads they got were in great shape.

Only issue is I just have to sit around until it gets here which I am hoping will be less than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Spend $10G and do a 2.8 Cummins swap!
I mean, other than being a cummins, that is a very similar motor. Only thing that blows is the timing stuff is on the back of the motor so you have to pull it to do any work, but it is a chain in that case so you shouldnt need too.

The 2.8L Duramax in the Colorado is basically the same engine as this jeep but has a newer head and Delphi injection and controls instead of Bosch. One of the jeep guys sent his stock rods to Carillo and they found out that their Duramax rods are a direct fit into the Jeep motor.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just wired $500 to the UK 🤪

Just need this thing to last until my student loans and truck are paid off. Truck is a super low rate so I have just been riding that one out as long as I can, but I have been pouring all my extra $ into the student loans to get out from under that bullshit. Then I can think about something less shitty to drive.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
IMG_7748.jpg

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Borrowing this thing from my cousin
IMG_7725.jpg

The 4.7 is a stout motor. Its kinda like driving my jeep. Doesnt rev over 4k and makes all its power by 3k

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Head is in:

IMG_7800.jpg

IMG_7798.jpg

IMG_7797.jpg

Looks Barely used. Even the intake runners are crud free.

·
Administrator
10,095 Posts
Oh man I still miss mine. The guy who bought it is a pipeliner and is out of town all the time in a company truck, so he really doesn't drive it that much. So it's only grown to about 350,000 miles, maybe 360 now. It still runs like a scalded dog, has had no major failures, but it is beginning to smoke pretty bad on a cold start.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Oh man I still miss mine. The guy who bought it is a pipeliner and is out of town all the time in a company truck, so he really doesn't drive it that much. So it's only grown to about 350,000 miles, maybe 360 now. It still runs like a scalded dog, has had no major failures, but it is beginning to smoke pretty bad on a cold start.

Lots of us long for our 7.3 of our past.
Understandably, we perhaps underappreciated some of its virtues at the time. But now that TRUST that those trucks afforded us is NOT replicated in the modern current day super-complex and sophisticated trucks we rely on.

Although I'm more than willing to admit that I kept a cam position sensor ($15?) in the glove box, AND I was aware of the fact that the oem transmission might let me down at some point. (automatic tranny, that is) But since it wasn't unusual to keep one for many 100's of thousands of miles, at some point you would have a built tranny and a trans fluid temp gauge to know if you ever cooked the fluid and it simply needed changing)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,095 Posts
I replaced the throttle position sensor a few times, an alternator, clutch, a couple of batteries, and a fuel pump. The CPS never gave me any trouble, though I know they are known to fail.

·
Registered
322 Posts
As a Jeep guy myself, I say fix her issues and drive till you don't drive anymore. I'm in agreement with Snakebitten on this, it may not add up but should make you happy.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
As a Jeep guy myself, I say fix her issues and drive till you don't drive anymore. I'm in agreement with Snakebitten on this, it may not add up but should make you happy.
I have all the parts in. Just waiting on the shop to give the head a once over and possibly surface it.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
IMG_7931.jpg
IMG_7932.jpg
IMG_7930.jpg

Cleaned up the mating surface of the engine block tonight. Gunna copper kote the head gasket tomorrow morning and then crank the head down.

·
Registered
260 Posts
EcoBoost swap!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
EcoBoost swap!
This engine bay is already eye-wateringly tight with an I4 single turbo motor. I dont know if its possible to shoehorn in a DOHC V6 with twins. Maybe the 2.3 Ecoboost would do it.

Other than that, it would probably be easier to get up and running than the motor it came with from the factory :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well. Im dumb.

Got the thing put back together. Got the timing belt on. Went to go start it and it took a bit to catch cause the fuel rails were empty. Finally caught and BANG!

Rod went through the block. I am not even kidding.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
What????? Timing chain put on wrong?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not what i was expecting to hear. Yeesh hope it gets sorted!

21 - 40 of 98 Posts