F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
What????? Timing chain put on wrong?
No I dont think so. I think the rod was already toast it just had not fully let go. I spun the engine by hand a bunch of times when the head was off and then probably 20 revs of the crank once the timing belt was on. Spun totally fine. No interference or anything.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Well you know with a new head and gasket in there, I would have to imagine the compression was restored to original specs (ie probably greatly increased). If the wrist pins and other parts were worn, your theory sounds about right. It was just enough resistance to make it finally go. Unless a valve dropped after so many cranks of the motor? This seems unlikely. Bummer. At least you still have a shiny "used" head!

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Not what i was expecting to hear. Yeesh hope it gets sorted!
I am done now. Not worth it at this point. Gunna part out and find something else.

Just pissed at myself because I wasnt sure I wanted to tackle this in the first place.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well you know with a new head and gasket in there, I would have to imagine the compression was restored to original specs (ie probably greatly increased). If the wrist pins and other parts were worn, your theory sounds about right. It was just enough resistance to make it finally go. Unless a valve dropped after so many cranks of the motor? This seems unlikely. Bummer. At least you still have a shiny "used" head!
I am hoping the head is ok. If I trashed the head Ill lose it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Take pics and report back. Don't leave us hanging!

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Well, i posted that i was parting out on the facebook group and within an hour had an offer for most of my mods and some of the engine. Guy offered me as much for the parts as i would have expected to get selling the thing complete and it working order. He is conveniently in Idaho and within driving distance so no need to ship anything. Just throw the **** in my truck an drive up.

Potential replacements right now are:

2005-2007 Toyota Sequoia
2005-2009 Lexus GX470
2010-2013 Lexus GX460

Never been a huge toyota fan(i hate tacomas just because) but my wife mentioned our neighbors sequoia and once I started reading about it I really liked the sound of it. I knew about GX470 because my cousin, who lives near me, has had a few.

Want something reliable and that I wont be tempted to mod. The toyota V8’s are solid and dont have a ton of aftermarket beyond maybe headers and tune. All these options also have a very cool 4x4 system where the transfer case has a locking torsen differential. So its a mechanical LSD when in normal mode but can be locked in conventional 4Hi or 4lo. This combined with Toyota’s A-Trac system and they are extremely capable rigs right from the factory.

The GX460 is newer and more techy(bluetooth and usb plug, fancy!) but is a lot more than the Gx470 for maybe only a couple years newer and similar miles.

Open to other suggestions but so far that’s where i am at.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
That might not be the way that you preferred to write the last chapter of this saga, but it certainly isn't the worst ending

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
That might not be the way that you preferred to write the last chapter of this saga, but it certainly isn't the worst ending

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I am actually relieved. I thought I was barely going to recover my investment in the head and parts that I bought to fix the thing up. Turns out I am gunna cover that multiple times most likely.

·
Administrator
9,945 Posts
Well. Im dumb.

Got the thing put back together. Got the timing belt on. Went to go start it and it took a bit to catch cause the fuel rails were empty. Finally caught and BANG!

Rod went through the block. I am not even kidding.
I TOLD YOU I WOULDN'T BOTHER WITH FIXING THAT THING!

I'm sorry to hear that! I was rooting for this thing.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I TOLD YOU I WOULDN'T BOTHER WITH FIXING THAT THING!

I'm sorry to hear that! I was rooting for this thing.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
If I hadn't found that head for $500 I probably wouldnt have. I am pissed I did, but I was just trying to get by for a year so I could get our student loans paid off before committing to another car. Backfired a little.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Have you looked at the Benz GL 450? you can pick up 2013 to 2016s pretty reasonably and they are pretty fun to drive. if you want something smaller the GLK 350s are worth looking at.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
IMG_7992.jpg

2nd from the front con rod as suspected. Same cyl that had the broken rockers in the first place. I suspect that it happen long before i pulled the head but had not fully let go.

Bore scoped the hole in the block:

Top of conrod on the top of image:

IMG_7986.jpg

Missing chunk of con rod:

Adjustments.jpg

41 - 53 of 53 Posts