F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing my RC Leveling kit on my 2014, when I was wrapping everything up on the Drivers side. I was tightening down the front axle nut and then snap!!! I broke the stud that holds the retaining nut in the hub for the front axle.. My heart sank as soon as I seen this..." Oh that feeling"

Anyways, apperently this 13 mm nut is only suppose to be torqued to 20 ft lbs. My question to you, has anybody replaced any of the front axle's of your newer 11" + F150's. Is there an easier way to fix this ? Should I drive my truck like this? Should I tuck my tail between my legs and head to the dealer, "last option".

I found a replacement axle online mnfg. by Cardone Part # 66-2191 for $89 shipped, sound's to cheap to be true.

anybody's 2¢ is appreciated..

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm not going to be much help on where to go for a replacement, but do not drive your truck like that, as it could cause much more damage. 20lbs is surprising, IIRC it was over 100 on our old Passat when I did them. I know I used my 1/2" drive torque wrench!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ouch.. Sorry about your bad luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, I think im gonna end up ordering that part from Cardone and see what shows up..? "prob cheap korean piece" Ford want's over $400 for that driver side axle...and in the meantime gonna drive my work truck.. watt'a bummer!!!

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Um why did you pull your hub nut for a levelling kit install?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I really hate that feeling. *pull pull Oh SH!T!*

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
are you familiar with Healy coils?

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
A Heli-Coil* would not help. He snapped the threaded stud off of the end of the CV shaft. Hence the threaded portion is now broken off and stuck in the nut.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Um why did you pull your hub nut for a levelling kit install?
Had to pull whole strut assembly out to add spacer at the top, It was a pain getting strut out and in without the front axle attached, I dont think it would of been possible without removing the axle shaft, As I needed as much travel on that lower A arm to get the strut assembly back in..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Heli-Coil* would not help. He snapped the threaded stud off of the end of the CV shaft. Hence the threaded portion is now broken off and stuck in the nut.
Yeah no Heli-Coil fix here....

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I want to say I just put some pressure on the arm with a breaker bar and popped the strut out after removing a few choice bolts, didn't touch the axle though. Did it about a year ago... so don't remember for sure what parts I pulled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts