F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find what ratio of gears I have the door jam has code l5 can anybody tell me what gear ratio this code means. I have a 7700lbs travel trailer and I want to make sure my truck can handle it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm trying to find what ratio of gears I have the door jam has code l5 can anybody tell me what gear ratio this code means. I have a 7700lbs travel trailer and I want to make sure my truck can handle it.
The 2012 tow guide is here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2012/12_FLRVTT_gde.pdf Google is your friend.

It says axle code 15 is a 3.15 axle ratio with a tow rating of 8400 - 8800 depending on which truck you have.

I have had a guy experienced at towing tell me to keep the load at 70% or less of the rating.

For this trailer, that would require a tow rating of 7700/.7=11000.

Conversely, a 7700 lb. trailer would load this truck to 88% - 92% of its rating, depending on the truck.

Anybody else use that 70% rule of thumb or do you just load it to the max?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is the 7700 lb. the Unloaded Vehicle Weight UVW (Dry Weight) of the trailer or the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating GVWR (trailer loaded to the max)?
Also what is the tongue load of the trailer? My truck can only handle 1607 pounds payload including all passengers, luggage and the tongue weight.
I'm struggling to find a toy hauler camper light enough that I can handle with my truck.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
You could always change the rearend gear to 3.73. Then get it reflashed for the speedo. Ford dealer will do it for less than a grand around here.

SPPD

·
Registered
152 Posts
I pull a Toy hauler around and when full I've weighed it out at 8,200lbs. (self weigh scale) I also weighed the truck at the same time with a load of wood, gas cans etc...in the box. Me the wife,dogs etc... Truck was 7,560 lbs. It pulled through the mountains no problem. Still getting airbags this year though. I think the V6 is lighter and sits back into the firewall, no effective weight over the front. Every axle weight was good but airbags will make a big difference for sure. My package says I can pull 11,300lbs and I wouldn't hesitate to do it,Just have to watch the downhills in the mountains. Thats my only concern...v6 doesn't hold back as good when down shifting in tow/haul mode. Need good trailer brakes for sure. Also an equilizer hitch will help with tongue weight,as well as a stabilizer bar. That's whats bin succesfull for me.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
CNRWBAKER,
That sounds like the best option. It is a whole lot cheaper than eating the depreciation and buying a new truck.

SPPD

·
Registered
589 Posts
I stick around 80% of the towing rating as a rule of thumb on most of my loads. Just provides a greater buffer for,payload, people, weather and road conditions, however I have gone past the max limit several times with the truck, brakes, tranny, and ECO handling it with ease and no issues. Like other say as long as you have a solid hitch and trailer set up things should be fine.
Switching up to the 3.73 would for sure help towing along with a additional tranny cooler if you are really going for the gold lol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I'm back I decided to put air bags on it and just run the 3.15 gears because I read the trailer wieght wrong its fully loaded at 7700 lbs and I live in mostly flat land it pulls it better than I thought I think ford is really under rateing theese trucks cause it pulls it like its nothing and its not getting hot I love it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 2013 SuperCrew 4WD with the EB engine in March with 3:55 rear end. Just did my first towing with it last weekend. Pulled a loaded 4 ton fertilizer spreader about 20 miles (twice actually) and then a JD 5320 tractor with a front end loader on a fairly heavy trailer the same distance. I had no problems whatsoever and, in fact, this V6 EcoBoost engine handled these chores better than the 2010 5.4 I traded in. I don't know how they are doing this as I just use them more than being a mechanic on the trucks but the EB is as impressive as I was told it would be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2013 EB F150 Super Crew with the 3.55 ratio. Is there really a big difference by going to the 3.73?
Check the tow guide. http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_f150.pdf

The GCWR (max combined weight of truck and trailer) for the 3.55 2WD Supercrew (what I have) is 15,300.
The GCWR for 3.73 Max Tow Package 2WD is 16,900, but that includes things other than just the axle ratio. See page 4 of the tow guide for the Heavy Duty Payload Package.
On the 4WD Super Crew trucks, just changing from 3.55 to 3.73 does not increase the GCWR.

You and I need to be more concerned about the weight on the truck. Mine is only rated with a GVWR (max loaded weight) of 7100 pounds for a net payload of 1607 pounds (sticker on the door).
The heavy duty payload package puts the GVWR at 8200 pounds, so the loaded truck can weigh 1100 pounds more than the standard truck.
I bought the standard truck and am shopping for a toy hauler I can handle. I discovered a toy hauler that is 4080 pounds empty, probably less than 6000 pounds loaded. 15% of that on the tongue would be 900 pounds. That would leave me 700 pounds for passengers and stuff. Now I just need to find one for sale.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't even begin to say how many times I went over gross vehicle rating with a f100 and a straight 6 I ran that truck over 200,000 miles and how many other people on here have done the same thing or close to it we did what we had to do to get things done I didn't worry myself to death about gross rating and I'm just going to do it again the key to success is watch gauges and take your time and I bet you could pull a lot of weight for a long time just like we did it before except now we have an a/c LOL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
cnrwbaker
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing