F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the brightest lights are that i can change out my backup lights to? I love using the camera but early in the morning or late at night i find the lights not bright enough behind me to use the camera with a whole lot of confidence. It might be partially because of all the rain up here in the northwest too! Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I believe there are now some LED replacements, but I know for sure there are halogen bulbs.

The back up lights on mine are the worst I've ever seen on any vehicle I've owned.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Look into a led strip below your tailgate. I have one with reverse light which is white and bright as heck. Helps allot at night

2012 F150 EcoBoost Lariat

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Yeah the backup lights suck. I hate how I have to ride the brakes to get enough light to see.

Reactions: gilgre74

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If you really want to throw some light back there there are HID kits for your back up lights.
Yes, I started researching them on line but got sidetracked. I'm going to opt for the cheaper halogen replacement bulb for now.
Ordering PIAA Xtreme bulbs for the front lights. Anyone had any experience with these bulbs?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Recon led replacements, hell of a lot brighter.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yes, I started researching them on line but got sidetracked. I'm going to opt for the cheaper halogen replacement bulb for now.
Ordering PIAA Xtreme bulbs for the front lights. Anyone had any experience with these bulbs?
PIAA Extreme Whites are a night and day difference between the Factory Halogen and the Sylvania Silverstars. I had them on my previous vehicle (2010 Fusion) and was surprised when I took out the factory bulbs to find that they were Hella bulbs. Haven't tried the Silverstar Ultras yet. My truck has the factory HID's and I've been trying to find a halogen that matches.

I bought a set of H10 PIAA Xtreme Whites today. Right now I have the Silverstars in and the temperature of the bulb just doesn't match the 4100K of the HID's. The PIAAs are running at 4000K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: outlaw25

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
PIAA Extreme Whites are a night and day difference between the Factory Halogen and the Sylvania Silverstars. I had them on my previous vehicle (2010 Fusion) and was surprised when I took out the factory bulbs to find that they were Hella bulbs. Haven't tried the Silverstar Ultras yet. My truck has the factory HID's and I've been trying to find a halogen that matches.

I bought a set of H10 PIAA Xtreme Whites today. Right now I have the Silverstars in and the temperature of the bulb just doesn't match the 4100K of the HID's. The PIAAs are running at 4000K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Given I have no knowledge about bulb technology, what does the temp have to do with anything?
Thanks for the heads up on the PIAA bulbs. I've been searching and Amazon has them for far less then anyplace else.
Checked local and the best he could do was match an on line price of $81 while Amazon has them for like $60 something.

·
Vendor
87 Posts
The real issue is the bulb type, its just to small to produce enough light even if you upgrade to led's. If you want some real light you need to add auxiliary lighting. Ill take some pics of my setup tonight, I added 2 Baja Designs SII led's and tapped power from the trailer harness so they come on when the trucks in reverse.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380037599.698232.jpg

Info from bilinvicRetrofits FAQ Section:
Q. What's the difference between the bulb colors?
A. Kelvin Ratings: 3000K - Has a golden yellow output perfect for use in fog lights. The yellow light penetrates through snow, rain, and fog more effectively than white or blue light. 4300K - Has a slightly off-white output similar to that of sunlight. Most cars that come equipped with HID headlights from the factory use 4300K bulbs. If you want the most usable light, 4300K is the Kelvin rating for you. 5000K - A pure white output, no tinge of yellow, and no tinge of blue. 6000K+ As you move into the higher kelvin ratings, your light output will appear more bluish-purple in hue, but the bulbs won't be physically as bright. As HID bulbs age, they go through what is known as "color-shift". When the bulbs are brand new, the output is whitish-yellow and as physically bright as it will ever be. As the bulbs age with use, their output turns more pure white/bluish and also starts to dim a bit. That's why cars with factory 4300K bulbs that are 5+ years old look like they're running 5000K or higher bulbs.

Best way I could explain it. Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: outlaw25

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The real issue is the bulb type, its just to small to produce enough light even if you upgrade to led's. If you want some real light you need to add auxiliary lighting. Ill take some pics of my setup tonight, I added 2 Baja Designs SII led's and tapped power from the trailer harness so they come on when the trucks in reverse.
That's what i have been finding is that no matter what its just too small of a bulb type. Some pics would definitely be nice to see when you get a chance. Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
After looking at the different options I went with the Anzo USA LED Hitch Light. I have a factory hitch so mounting isn't an issue and I'll just tap these in to the existing Reverse light wiring and leave the switch in the "On" position. I bought mine through Auto Anything for around $37.00 with a their discount code of the day....

·
Registered
868 Posts
my concerns about buying LED 's to replace bulbs is the size of them !
has anyone had problems yet with a bulb being to big after you got them ?

·
Registered
868 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
That looks good too. 5/16" longer though. Hmmm.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts