F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2013 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost engine and i am getting horrible gas mileage I am getting 10 city and 18 highway , now i do only drive 5 miles one way to work everyday in the city but i recently went on a 300 mile trip to northern michigan and i was only getting 18 mpg at 55 mph and 16 at 70 mph . I drove 70 mph on e the way up and 55 on the way back to see if there was an optimal speed so it was 600 miles round trip . Does this sound right ? I spoke with someone who said i should take it back into the dealer and have them reprogram the ecoboost engine , has anyone heard of this? what is every one getting mpg wise?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Are you stock? Are you leveled?

If you are completely stock that milage is way too low. I usually get 16 to 18 city and 20-24 hwy. The sweet spot for me with the 3.73 rear end in between 63 and 66 mph.

Any suspension or large tire mods really seem to hurt economy on these trucks.

SPPD

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
How was the terrain? Were you using CC or using the pedal? How many passengers? What was in the bed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes i am stock terrain was normal highway pavement a few hills but nothing major

have you guys heard of them being reprogrammed

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I have not heard of them being reprogrammed. What truck do you have (cab configuration, drive, rear end)? 18 mpg in a full-size truck is not "horrible" mpg.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Also, how many miles are on the truck? When I first got mine I could not break 16 mpg for the first 500 miles. It steadily got better to the point it is now. My best full tank is 20.4 hand calculated going to Los Angeles at 60 mph. The rating of 21 mpg is presumably based on a short wheel based single cab 2wd with a very tall rear end. So the mileage I got is very good considering it is a SCREW FX4 with Max Tow.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
There would be no harm in getting a reprogram as long as you are under warranty and don't have to pay for it. Also, you can try disconnecting the battery for at least 10 minutes. This will delete any learned information about your or the previous owners (if used) driving style. It will also cause a reboot of the computer. If that doesn't help you may have an issue that a reflash will correct. Also, try hand calculations, as I have heard of a few folks having a significant difference between the dash display and actuall mpg.

Keep us posted,

SPPD

·
Registered
589 Posts
It really depends on your rear end gearing too. if you have the steeper gearing 3:73 than like SPPD has mentioned the lower to mid 60s is the sweet spot. 3:55 and lower tend to do better at higher rates of speed. Head wind and all kinds of other factors tug at your MPG results. 18 for a 6,000lbs truck is great MPG not horrible. Just ask any other truck owner out there with power numbers like our trucks maybe not the guys with the V8s or big V10s they would be pissed to hear about your results...

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
i have a 2013 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost engine and i am getting horrible gas mileage I am getting 10 city and 18 highway , now i do only drive 5 miles one way to work everyday in the city but i recently went on a 300 mile trip to northern michigan and i was only getting 18 mpg at 55 mph and 16 at 70 mph . I drove 70 mph on e the way up and 55 on the way back to see if there was an optimal speed so it was 600 miles round trip . Does this sound right ? I spoke with someone who said i should take it back into the dealer and have them reprogram the ecoboost engine , has anyone heard of this? what is every one getting mpg wise?
Do you use your cruise control or rather were you using your cruise control during these trips? I use my cruise control as often as possible and I find that my MPG does significantly better when using the CC.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The only time I've gotten 10 was towing a 30ft camper. I do 14-15 in town and 19-22 highway depending on speed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i just dug out my sticker and it says 18 26
If that is your EPA mileage estimate, I didn't know they were ever rated that high. I think mine says 15 21, and that is pretty close. I can get about 20-21 if I'm babying it on a longer drive at about 60mph. 75 mph drops it to about 18-19. My normal 7 mile commute with about 2 miles in town and 5 miles of 65 mph on the highway comes out to 16-17.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I checked the EPA website and the highest estimate I could find for an ecoboost was 16/22 and that is for a 2wd. Are you sure it's not the 3.7 na V6?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2013 Super Crew. I drive five miles to work in slow stop and go traffic in hilly terrain. The truck only has about 600 miles on it. I'm getting 15.8 mpg. In the few short trips I've had on the highway I'm getting in the mid 20s.

Your driving technique has a huge impact on your gas mileage.

Check these out.
2011 Ford F150 EcoBoost Fuel Economy Adventure Challenge - CleanMPG Forums
Ride along as CleanMPG teaches us how to hypermile a Ford F-150 EcoBoost
Articles - CleanMPG Forums

The truck used for this is nearly identical to mine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
16 @ 70 is about what I am getting. Ya, you can get better if you drive 60, but that will get you run over around here. LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just finished an 1100 mile trip from CO to the Grand Teton's and back. I experienced all conditions other than the need for four wheel drive. This was a mix of driving 80 mph to 55 mph, but most of the trip was at 70 or greater. I got 21.9 mpg in my 2012 crew cab which has 11,000 miles. The gas mileage keeps getting better as the engine breaks in. At one point I filled up the truck, and it read that we had 810 miles of driving to empty. I have been very impressed. In town I am averaging 15.9 mpg due to the large number of traffic signals. I would say if the computer reset does not work, then take it to the dealership for a hard reset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Poor gas milage

I have 2013 FX4 3.5 Eco boost with 48000 and I am getting terrible gas mileage. I get about 12 in the city an 17 on the road. I have talked to owners of the eco boost and they say thy are getting anywhere from 18 city and 22 o the highway. went to the dealer today an they did not do anything, it cost me 292.33. I asked o update the PCM and they refused. I have a calll into customer service.

I get 12 city and 17 highway

·
Banned
508 Posts
I have 2013 FX4 3.5 Eco boost with 48000 and I am getting terrible gas mileage. I get about 12 in the city an 17 on the road. I have talked to owners of the eco boost and they say thy are getting anywhere from 18 city and 22 o the highway. went to the dealer today an they did not do anything, it cost me 292.33. I asked o update the PCM and they refused. I have a calll into customer service.

I get 12 city and 17 highway
Tune up. Your issues are related to worn out components. Perform these and report back:
1) new motorcraft sp534 spark plugs gapped to .030. These only last about 30k miles
2) drill 1/16" weep hole in the intercooler.
3) clean all 3 MAP sensors with CRC MAF cleaner
4) new air filter or clean/oil high flow one if you have it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
16 Participants
pvtschultz
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing