F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back from a weekend trip hauling in my new 2019 f150 2.7 eb scab.
i had the the atv in the back of the truck and she was sagged pretty good and my front leveling kit made it look even worse but i expected that with nearly 1000 lbs of gear and a machine in back.

looking for opinions on airlift 5000 airbags with the internal jounce bumper and wireless compressor at 700$ unloaded will it ride like stock when I'm unloaded? i read some reviews that said it is very harsh due to taking out suspension travel being bolted on to the leaf even unloaded.
i was thinking of a add a leaf at 120 bucks for a tuff country that will also add 1.5 inches of rear lift height so i can get some of my rake back and make it look a bit more aggressive, it should look good with my front coil spacer. but it will make it ride a Little harsher full time.
or should i look towards hellawig which i need to research a bit more, and also which one to get. i was told they are about 300 for 2000 lbs lift help. now does it stiffen it all the time or just when loaded? do i need to unbolt the leafs when im done towing to get it to ride more like stock?

just looking for options and opinions before purchasing, money is always a thought but i am more concerned about doing it right the first time.
i do go up riding every other weekend so it is not a 1 time a season event.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
This is what I did. $350 from Amazon Prime about 18 months ago. Towed one season and much better overall and with my 1.5" 5100 Bilstein shocks the sag does not really occur when the WD on the hitch is applied and some load in the bed. (not a 4 wheeler, but more than I usually haul around day to day).

I like them because they are just set it and forget it. Unloaded ride is still fine, if not a bit better on handling/cornering when empty.

Just what has worked for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do like that design. Did you need to get longer u bolts? They sit under the top plate right?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I'm personally a fan of air bags because of the adjustability factor. I use the Airlift RideControl 2K with a HD $30 CCM bicycle pump.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I do like that design. Did you need to get longer u bolts? They sit under the top plate right?

No, completely out of the box and onto the truck. You don't touch the OEM spring setup. Since this pic, I have cranked down a bit more on the front overload U bolts to stop some rattling it had when unloaded and going over bumps.

Before I put these on, when I would load up the truck and hitch up the trailer, the OEM lower overload springs would be touching the main springs.

After the overloads, even loaded up and no trailer attached, the OEM overloads still have a gap before touching. After hitching up, it's basically the same and still a gap on the OEM overloads, so the Hellwigs are taking the load now.

Mitch

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks like your setup right?
Found on Amazon
Hellwig 61607 pro series Helper spring.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I got this one for my truck. The Hellwig springs are 2.5" wide, but the springs on the truck are 3" wide, so you have to make sure you get the right kit to get the correct U bolts.. I actually ordered this set before and only got 2.5" U bolts and it did not fit the truck. I returned it to Amazon and got my money back, but later found out all I had to do was contact Hellwig and they would have sent me the correct 3" U bolts for free.... But, I have a 2013 F150 with Max Tow, so what you show could very well be what is spec'd for your 2019 F150.

I ordered again from Amazon and they did send the correct package this time, so I was very happy.. :) but, remember, we have different year trucks, so part numbers could have changed.

Mitch

Hellwig 61902 Pro-Series Helper Spring with Silent Feature

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i seen yours has the silent ride feature, which is pricier and not available for my year.
Thanks for the tip to make sure on the leaf size.

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had Firestone Ride Rite bags on my 2008 and I liked them but remembering to add air before a pull, then dealing with the bouncy ride when unloaded sucked. It wouldn't be bad if you had an onboard pump. On the 2013 I put Autospring AAL and love em. They add a bit of rake back to the truck and stiffen up the ride a bit but it doesn't ride rough at all just stiffer in the rear. I like the install and forget about em feature more then doinking around adding/removing air. The Autospring AAL have a Teflon pad in the ends so no squeak or rattle at all. I installed them in an afternoon. (like 3 hrs). Good luck. I wish I had current side pic. I have a 2" level and the AAL and it is almost perfect 1" higher in the rear then the front to the wheel well opening.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is the setup i was thinking, i just ordered the hellwig 2500 lbs kit off Amazon.
I am going to install those and see how it sits with the atv in the box and go from there.
I am guessing i will need the Autospring AAL kit but I'll wait and see how it sits with just the hellwig.
I'm going to run to advance auto parts soon to get some longer u bolts just in case.

Love all the help and advice on this site.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Had Firestone air bags on the Tacoma and I liked them. At 10 psi not much difference from stock. Aired up with 300 lbs of bike and the travel trailer they kept it level. I'd do it again.

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a set of the autospring AAL lightly used for $100 shipped. I liked them a lot but removed my lift and don’t haul much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Put Ride-Rites on my 2017 157"WB...absolutely love them. $300, no drill install. I run 5# of air when no load on truck and you don't know they are there. You can put different pressures in the bags if your load is heavier on one side than the other. Not intended to increase capacity, only level the load.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Airbags with onboard pump is what I run... love them. You can spend a little or a lot on the setup. I have to manually adjust the psi with an in cab switch but my dad is running a setup with wireless controller that automatically keeps things at your settings... I’ve even seen these with a ride height sensor that will pressure up as you apply tongue weight to restore ride height.

I find that with a little pressure... say 30 lbs, the ride is smoother over stock. Edit: I have a camper shell and usually a bit of payload in the bed so others may have a different opinion/experience

You can even run dual gauges so that each side of the axle is separate and air won’t bleed between them, this is handy if towing a gooseneck or something too heavy that might sway/roll the truck around corners

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I installed the hellwig springs today, hopefully next weekend i can take the wheeler up north and test them out.
I don't have them fully torqued down tight yet and the ride is still good.
Maybe tonight I'll torque them down a little more to see how stiffer they become.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Curious, how did they work out? Have you had a chance to test yet?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts