F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start the truck yesterday and no power. Put a charger on the battery to get the truck started for the day. Took it to the dealer and the test showed the battery was kaput.
The truck is a 2013 with only 2000 miles. The build date was 10-04-2013 so it's not that old. I bought it in January of this year. I know batteries start dieing as soon as their filled & charged and this one had a short life. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Very common issue with these shitty Motocraft batteries that ford is supplying, you aren't the first and will no doubt not be the last.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Had the same problem.
From my understanding it was a battery size issue.
Dealer changed over to an 850CCA and the problem seems to be fixed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Batteries are not what they used to be. A couple years ago I was traveling in my old F250 diesel when I could smell something in the cab and I got off at an exit - left the engine running and found one battery boiling. (it was a Motorcraft) Went to a part store and got 2 new batteries. Thank goodness for gloves because the temp of the battery was around 155*F.

I put it on the cart and the employee was going to wheel the cart inside the store. I told her - leave it out side until its done boiling.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Batteries are not what they used to be. A couple years ago I was traveling in my old F250 diesel when I could smell something in the cab and I got off at an exit - left the engine running and found one battery boiling. (it was a Motorcraft) Went to a part store and got 2 new batteries. Thank goodness for gloves because the temp of the battery was around 155*F.

I put it on the cart and the employee was going to wheel the cart inside the store. I told her - leave it out side until its done boiling.
I went from the stock batteries to NAPA, not sure which one was worse. Neither lasted very long.
Finally settled on Sears Die-hard Platinum, they have been in my diesel plow truck for 6 years now without issue. Electric plow pump, heater, halogen strobe lights and lights, there is a lot of draw during a snowstorm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They replaced the battery with a new Motocraft battery of the same size. Hopefully this solves the problem. I'm just wondering if maybe I've got a relay hanging up somewhere. They didn't do a power draw test so I guess I'll just wait and see.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Was trying to get a 2013 F150 to replace my busted 2011 F150 a month ago or so, went out with the salesman. Battery in the 2013 I wanted to look at was completely dead, salesman hooked up a battery jumper, turned over, no gas so it wouldn't start (won't the gas tank get moisture in it by sitting empty??). He had to put a gallon in from a can, then we drove it to the gas station to put some gas in it.

I have a couple of problems with that, once a car battery is completely dead, in my mind its never the same, it never comes back 100 percent. And the truck should not be driven until the battery is completely charged because it will put a very huge strain on the alternator.

I didn't buy the truck, but I'm sure someone has by now, having their new 2013 F150 with a battery that probably sat on the lot a few months with 0 power in it, and alternator that was probably damaged trying to charge the battery.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Very common issue with these shitty Motocraft batteries that ford is supplying, you aren't the first and will no doubt not be the last.
Got 10 years out of a Motocraft in my 2001 F150. It was still good, I only changed it because I felt I was pushing my luck. I don't know how long the battery in my 2013 will last. If it goes tits up I will just buy one instead of dealing with the dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts