F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So thinking of buying a new battery upgrade. I've always have had the optima yellow tops, but I just know I'm going to be running more accessories this go around with 2,000 watt stereo, 12,000 lb winch, 40" led bar.Also of maybe just upgrading the alternator.
I'm thinking of going with this there have been some good reviews on it.
XS Power D3400 12-Volt Deep Cycle AGM Power Cell Battery
Any other suggestions info from experience you guys have had out there.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Dual battery system w/ isolator is best for winching. If you have O'Reilley's autoparts in Arlington, the SuperStart Extreme Duty's are really good.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'd run two extreme duties, as we do with the jeeps. Both in the engine bay if there is a dual kit (tons for jeeps), and if not, one in the bay one under the back seat.

If you have access to O'Reilly, those superstart batteries are AGM and rebranded Deka Intimidators (East Penn Mfg.) and made in the USA. JCI (now owns optima) has moved mfg to Mexico. If you find an enginebay kit, let us know.

Engine bay kit:
Isolator -> OEM -> Lighting, OEM connections
Isolator -> 2nd Batt -> winch and audio, and I'd add a capacitor due to the fact you're splitting alternator output.

Rear Seat kit:
Isolator -> OEM -> Lighting, OEM connections, winch
Isolator -> (Fused) 2nd bat -> Audio, capacitor

You can, of course, always electrically couple them in parallel if needed (basically a jump start).

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I plan on putting mine under the rear seat.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Yeah i have a box with 2 10's.. Might think about getting a sealed batt box and set it in the cornor of the bed.. On the front side and just run them in parallel
You don't want to just run them in parallel, you need an isolator.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Diode isolator would be the easiest, but there are lots of solenoid kits that if you get the right one for your application. Only downside of the isolator is that one of the output terminals on the isolator will have .7 voltage drop due to the diode and you would still need a solenoid or jumper cables to hook the batteries up in parallel

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
For the winch you're probably best off with a quick disconnect and just plugging it in when you need it. Current draw from a 10k winch can exceed 400A.

·
Registered
59 Posts
after putting in new battery(s) did you have to register it / them to the truck?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts