F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I've ever changed my own plugs. Went with the NGK Iridium 6510s (one step colder, gapped to .028). Replacement was very easy. Took about an hour. No surprises! Went ahead and changed the air filter while I was at it (Motorcraft).

First time I've tuned my truck as well. I got the nGauge from BCB along with their Highlander and MacGyver adaptive octane tunes. That process was straightforward too.

I've only put about 10 miles on the truck since the swap / tune. Things have smoothed out. I'm a little surprised about how stock it feels so far (Normal drive mode). I haven't really gotten on it yet, but the couple of times toward the end of the maiden voyage I gave it spirited throttle, it responded.

I'll put some more miles on it tonight and tomorrow and report back over the next few days / weeks with my findings.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First impressions after about 20 miles of driving (99% of which was in Normal Mode and I'm running 93 octane):

1. It seems to continue to get better the more I drive. I guess it's learning.

2. There's definitely more power and throttle response, especially in the midrange.

3. A 10-5 downshift is something to experience!

4. Just driving around normally, I can tell there's more power, but it still drives very stock-like. The Normal Mode still uses the same shifting strategy as stock, where it'll get up to 10th gear pretty quickly (45MPH) unless you tell it not to with your right foot. I'm actually glad about this, because I can still get good MPGs if I take it easy.

5. I did about 5 minutes in Sport Mode. Seems smoother than stock.

6. I haven't datalogged yet, but I did have my nGauge hooked up for a couple drives. My IAT2 was in the 130s-140s on a day in the 90s. KnockR was almost always negative. I may have seen it creep up above 0 once or twice. It never reached 1. Most of the time it was less than -1. I haven't paid attention to max boost yet. I also don't have OAR available on my nGauge. I guess I need to update the firmware? According to the e-motion website, I'm on the latest firmware (v262)... however, I've read on some forum posts that there are higher firmware versions than what I'm running that do have OAR (v285+).

I'll report back with updates. Comments and suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updated my nGauge firmware to Beta v299 and got OAR to show up. It's pegged at -1.00 on 93 octane. Also did a WOT run and boost hit 18PSI. I'll keep tracking it as I drive more.

This tune keeps getting better and better. The shifting continues to improve, as does the power (of which there is much).

I'll keep reporting back as I get more miles on it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm sure you will like the Highlander tune. Have used it on my 2017 2.7 for18 months + now, also have a custom BCB performance tune but that is used in good weather (traction lacking on my street use tires and 2wd). Just changed to NGK 6150 plugs and the #3 wire-harness and heating system pipe were difficult, the rest easy as could be! I get a bit more boost from my 2.7, 21 pounds peak, and gaped plugs at .026. KM

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just did an hour out of town on the interstate and an hour back. Traveling between 65-80, average about 75. MPG was just below 24, so that is good (computer tracked). Just about in line where I was stock. My average / mixed MPG is down because I've really been getting on it in town testing things out. The Highlander tune is just a pleasure on the interstate. It'll get up to speed pretty much on command and the downshifts are excellent. Very impressed there.

I also had my nGauge plugged in the whole time and monitored the PIDs I have pulled up on the 6-gauge. I'm currently monitoring Boost, IAT2, Oil Pressure, KnockR, OAR, and SparkAdv.

It's been cooler here today, so IAT2 was usually hovering around 120-125.

KnockR was usually hovering around 0 at steady speed, and would get lower if I gave it some RPMs. It would occasionally get positive, even getting as high as 1 or 2 on rare occasions, and then get back down to around 0. Interesting that this happens under light load while cruising.

OAR has been pegged at -1.00 since I started monitoring the PID, though it did drop to -0.99 momentarily, so at least I know it's working!

Boost and SparkAdv of course bounce around all over the place depending on throttle position. I guess my only question is, should I be tracking SparkAdv, or should I be tracking something else to monitor timing advance?

Any other PIDs that would be recommended as part of my main 6-gauge setup? I'm comfortable losing Oil Pressure, as I have that on my instrument cluster already.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
You do not have oil pressure on your dash cluster. You do have a pretty blue FAKE graphic.

Lol. Sorry. A personal rant of mine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
You do not have oil pressure on your dash cluster. You do have a pretty blue FAKE graphic.

I laugh when I see that graphic for the oil pressure.

Is there an aftermarket oil pressure gauge I can put on my 19EB? Nice digital one that I can leave on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
I laugh when I see that graphic for the oil pressure.

Is there an aftermarket oil pressure gauge I can put on my 19EB? Nice digital one that I can leave on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure you are limited to pulling the oil pressure from the ODB connector, so any device that can pull the pid would work. Even a cell phone running Torque app?

I use a tuner.

One thing for sure is the refresh rate is SUPER FAST on the pid. So I don't know how every device will behave painting that value in real time. It dances. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Yeah, but I don't care if it says 20 or 60, as long as it doesn't say 0! It's more of a Yes / No.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Yeah, but I don't care if it says 20 or 60, as long as it doesn't say 0! It's more of a Yes / No.
At the red light, with autostop, your engine isn't running and your oil pressure is absolutely ZERO lbs. Yet that dash gauge doesn't move even the tiniest.

So why are we supposed to have confidence that it even reflects an accurate yes/no?

It obviously says yes when we know it is no. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At the red light, with autostop, your engine isn't running and your oil pressure is absolutely ZERO lbs. Yet that dash gauge doesn't move even the tiniest.

So why are we supposed to have confidence that it even reflects an accurate yes/no?

It obviously says yes when we know it is no. :)

Yep, I get what you're saying, but three things (don't really want to keep discussing the silly IC oil pressure gauge!)-

1. I've got the AutoStop Eliminator, so no Stop / Start for me.
2. I'd assume that the oil pressure bar on the IC doesn't drop to 0 during Stop / Start so as to not freak out drivers unnecessarily. I'd hope that it'd actually work if there were no oil pressure while driving.
3. Don't really see the need to track the Oil Pressure as one of my main PIDs from a performance perspective. Any other ones that you'd track in its place? Is SparkAdv the correct one to track for timing advance?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been thinking about getting the BullyDog from BCB along with their Highlander and MacGyver adaptive octane tunes also. Didn't want to do much else so I'm glad to hear those tunes are working good for you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For comparison information a 10 minute highway drive 0-55MPH, August 1st, local air temps above 80 degrees F. I had warmed the truck to temp driving thru town, but have insulated CAC to manifold pipe and removed the engine cover. KM
knock iat speed oar.jpg

knock and oar stayed at 0
iat2 84-106 degrees
speed 0-55 mph local bypass, 3 stoplights 110 seconds to 600 seconds

93 octane fuel, Highlander Tune

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been thinking about getting the BullyDog from BCB along with their Highlander and MacGyver adaptive octane tunes also. Didn't want to do much else so I'm glad to hear those tunes are working good for you.
I know it's a little more money, but get the nGauge. I think you'll be much happier in the long run, and those BDXs are having some troubles right now from my research.

I am liking the Highlander tune. It's REALLY loving the cooler weather that we're having here right now (and by cooler, I mean 90 and below). That tells me I need an intercooler.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For comparison information a 10 minute highway drive 0-55MPH, August 1st, local air temps above 80 degrees F. I had warmed the truck to temp driving thru town, but have insulated CAC to manifold pipe and removed the engine cover. KM

knock and oar stayed at 0
iat2 84-106 degrees
speed 0-55 mph local bypass, 3 stoplights 110 seconds to 600 seconds

93 octane fuel, Highlander Tune
Interesting. Why did your KnockR and OAR stay at 0? Seems like knock should be moving around a good bit (remaining mostly negative at higher RPMs). And OAR at 0 on 93 octane sounds really high. Shouldn't it be closer to -0.9 or -1.0? Just curious.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Knock has always been 0 oar between 0 and 1, unsure about interpreting the numbers or if differences in tuner or the 2017 2.7EB, but they hold thru all logging session periods. Prior to now never concerned or highlighted them, more interested in boost, load, spark advance afr's. I get excellent performance and mileage, without any codes coming up either on truck system, tuner, or Torque application. Been running the Highlaner for near 20,000 miles now occasionally loading the performance custom tune for short periods. KM

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
If your knock reading never goes off zero that PID is not working, wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen. There is no tune that will always be on zero. Unless you are saying it only stayed on zero during that time, which is still pretty unlikely if it is in fact working.
Knock is one of the more important pids to monitor if not the most important.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if he's monitoring global knock, and his truck uses cylinder. Been there, done that. And it seems like more 2.7s use cylinder than other engines.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
Bet this is it. That's one of the most dancing pids there is. And a really good one to monitor.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Which spark timing advance should I be monitoring on the nGauge? SparkAdv? It seems to be working for me... going from 1-30 in the course of driving.

What would you add to this list on a 6-gauge pod?

Boost, IAT2, KnockR, OAR, SparkAdv, and...

I've already got the numerical Coolant Temp on my IC through FORScan. Also got the Oil Pressure "Yes / No."

I'm not sure whether I should be tracking CAC Temp, IAT1, etc. Any others for my main 6-gauge screen?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
8 Participants
Drew3419
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing