F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Looks awesome! Disappointing to see how puny the stake pockets are. I was thinking there'd be more meat there under the plastic. I guess the plastic is there for a reason!

How much weight are you planning on that cantilever portion? Is this going to have a pop-up on it?
Thanks.

The one by the tailgate is reinforced well but the others were just sheet metal and pretty much useless. The metal is so thin I am not sure bolting the rail to the camper is a good idea. At least not for structural support/anchoring. I guess it will all be dependent on how my weight support attachments work.

The cabover is the bed so up to 350 pounds max. My son and I laid on it and there was no noticeable sagging. Not sure if that will hold true over time though. 75% of the time it will just be me though.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Can't wait to see the finished product. I just love projects like this. It's all ingenuity. (y)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I saw a build on another forum that identified the time spent on the project each time there was an update. I liked the idea and thought I would share it as well.
Date: July 11, 2020
Time: 9 hours
Total Time to Date: 64.5 hours
Rework: 0 hours
Total Rework to Date: 24 hours

Today was a weld (5.5 hours) and grind (3.5 hours) day so nothing fun or new to show. I am getting a lot better at prettier welds, as long as I don't burn through. Fixing holes makes the weld pretty ugly. All the spots/bumps is from grinding nearby. The burning metal hits the frame and sticks. I just leave it because the sand blaster should be able to knock it off. A few examples of good welds, a bad weld, and a grinded down weld.

IMG_20200712_091912.jpg

IMG_20200712_092003.jpg

IMG_20200712_154701.jpg

IMG_20200712_092034.jpg

The good news is I got the camper frame completed except for the flip up bed section. I am waiting for my order of tubing to come in. I completed most of the welding on the wedge but it got up to 95 today and after 9 hours of work I was dehydrated and tired. The being tired was to be expected but I drank about 240 ounces of water (yes I keep track) and 32 ounces of Gatorade throughout the day so I was a bit surprised about being dehydrated. Next weekend I will finish the welding on the wedge, build the flip up bed, and build the door.

Given there aren't many pictures, this is spending to date. Anything listed but without a price has not been purchased, and may not ever be purchased. Just ideas or waiting to be purchased.
1594644327981.png

1594644344847.png

41 - 43 of 43 Posts