F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished installing Recon LED Bed Lighting kit today. Here are a couple of pics:
Before
image.jpg
After
image.jpg
Wired to the 3rd brake light. Current draw on OEM 3rd brake light was 1.8 amps. Current draw on Recon LED 3rd brake light with 8 bed LED kit was .38 amps. 12 pack was placed in the darkest part of the bed (middle pushed back all the way back to the cab).

Reactions: Eboost14

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks good how much was the kit?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Are they manually switched

Finished installing Recon LED Bed Lighting kit today.
Wired to the 3rd brake light. Current draw on OEM 3rd brake light was 1.8 amps. Current draw on Recon LED 3rd brake light with 8 bed LED kit was .38 amps. 12 pack was placed in the darkest part of the bed (middle pushed back all the way back to the cab).
It looks great. I think I will do this eventually. My issue is driving at night with the tailgate down. Basically, can you turn them off? I think I want a manual switch and a jamb switch on the gate.

PS Not enough Corona in that bed :)

Reactions: Ecobear

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were around $100...here's a link:

Recon LED Bed Rail Light Kit (F150/F250/F350) 26417

Lights were wired to 3rd brake light so they automatically turn on & off with the cargo / dome lights. The kit contains a small backlit toggle switch if you prefer (not weather-proof). This wasn't necessary for me because I can override the cargo / dome lights by pressing the OEM dimmer switch. All in all I am more than satisfied with results. I know that there are less expensive LED kits available but after spending the afternoon installing them, I am glad that I got a quality product. The labor cost would exceed the equipment value.

Mad Max is right...I need more beer lol!

·
Registered
279 Posts
This bed light kit is on my list. Mad max, I love the tail gate switch idea.

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
I was actually in the process of doing this on sunday and got the wire ran from the batter, found a spot to mount the switch and started testing my hand at soldering. I bough a rocker switch with a blue LED and for some reason I CANNOT get it to work right. when I use the power and ground together the lights flick right on but when I use the switch they only light up HALF of what they are supposed to. my BakFlip will be at my house tomorrow so gonna try to work on installing them again at the same time but we will see. I'm out of town til thursday night on business...I hate getting presents in the mail when i'm out of town. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
looks good! definitely will be doing this soon. I was going get led bars but this looks bright enough!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts