F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will be the major differences other than the obvious extra foot?

I've never owned a truck, so do not know how much that one foot affects handling/mpg/etc.

Any facts/opinions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
135 Posts
A little bit of extra weight, I would assume too. That might impact the handling or acceleration.

·
Registered
943 Posts
IMHO, 6.5 has better handling. tows better, & provides more space for stuff. I don't think MPG is any worse with the 6.5. I haul quite a bit of stuff when we travel with our travel trailer as well as my dogs when I go hunting or to field trials so, the short bed is not an option for me.

Reactions: Samson

·
Registered
510 Posts
Never owned a truck???? You ain't from around these parts, are you???? Generally speaking, the longer the wheelbase, the better it handles a trailer. Less sway. 5.5' fits in my garage....barely.

Reactions: Kendive

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you have the space I would go 6.5 bed. It it is big enough to fit most things in it and it doesn't hurt the handling. The 5.5 bed is just short enough to make it feel like you don't have enough bed space for much. You would have to get a bed extender for things like 4wheelers and motorcycles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never owned a truck???? You ain't from around these parts, are you???? Generally speaking, the longer the wheelbase, the better it handles a trailer. Less sway. 5.5' fits in my garage....barely.
LOL, well, I guess if you count how out of the 8 years I've been legal to drive, I have drove my dad's little S-10 pickup for about half of that...then I technically kind of sort of owned a truck before!

I personally want a truck for the safety and cool factor. But since it would also be a useful "tool", I'm sure I'll find things to do with the bed and maybe even towing things (I'd love to have a little bass boat).

Of course, none of this matters if I don't find the money to buy one of these, lol.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got the 6.5 and wouldn't have it any other way. Not only do i think they look better (personal opinion i know ;)) but I haul a lot in the bed and the extra foot defiantly comes in handy.... especially with loads like this:cool:.
IMAG0111.jpg

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think the longer bed make the F 150 butt ugly. Other than that the longer bed will be a plus!
I disagree, short bed looks like somebody rear ended a perfectly good truck.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Most people will be more familiar with the option they have and lots of folks have the 6.5' here. I have the 5.5'. Here is what I like about it compared to the 6.5'.

I like that: It fits in my garage (barely, a 6.5' wouldn't), Easier to park, Tighter turning radius (I have a U-turn I routinely make that a 6.5' couldn't make without hitting reverse), Looks sportier (yes IMO). Because its shorter its easier for me to back my boat into its parking spot at my home. It gets so close that I don't think a 1 foot longer truck could maneuver it as needed, I'd have to move the fence to make more room for the truck to swing out.

Now I pull a 28' Omega Yachts Sportfisher offshore fishing boat with mine so it totes the load plenty good enough. I have yet to fall short one foot of bed when hauling stuff but that possibility exists. Sometime in the future I'll have a lightweight utility trailer to serve as a true means to haul larger things as a 6.5' bed is still a short bed.

This is why I chose MY Truck. Don't go buying what works for someone else because it works for them. Make sure you get whats going to fit your needs the best. You will love either one as long as you get the one that fits you best.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with Limited, except I do not think they're butt ugly. I was never a fan of the long-bed-look on trucks. With the extension of the F150 cab, the typical 6.5 bed now looks like a long-bed.

The 5.5 is shorter, therefore could have more sway in towing. The 5.5 is lighter. The 5.5 is perfect for those of us who do not load down the back of our trucks on a regular basis and need the extra foot for storage room.

I absolutely love the 5.5 and would not have it any other way.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the 5.5 bed. I like it, that's why I chose it.

A downside with the 6.5 bed is some people have had axle wrap issues in the rear.

·
Registered
943 Posts
A short bed might look good on a reguular or scab but on a screw the short bed looks down right silly to me. Short beds were meant for the old step side trucks. JMHO:cool:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Longer wheelbase is more stable on snow or ice covered roads like we have here in the "Great Lake State".

1 - 20 of 227 Posts