F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I can get some guys from the forum to chime in on this....I'm ready to purchase my 1st tuner. I've done some research and I want to make sure that when I make modifications down the road, the tuner I choose will support what mods I make. Truck is 2012 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Lariat, 41,000 miles, I've changed the plugs, SP534, (.028) cleaned out the inter cooler, (IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE THIS YET, DO IT!!!) and installed my UPR dual valve catch can with clean side separator, truck is still bone stock but from what I've read, the tuner is the place to start.

"The Plan" is to start with a few "canned" tunes, one for towing and one for performance. Later this year I'll add the upgraded exhaust, maybe new down pipes and finally a new cold air intake. So the tuner I choose would need to be capable of accommodating my needs as they change and progress until I'm finished with my mods, then I'll need a few custom tunes. Should I start with the SCT, from what I've read this seems to be the best place to start, although some say Diablo has better canned tunes. I know everyone has opinions and I'd like to hear them.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
SCT all the way.
I'm not sure you've read any threads about some members (me included) having excessive knock on the Diablo canned tunes....
To be fair, that was not the new and improved revised tuner, soooo maybe it's different?
Most all Boost Brothers run the SCT.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
This forum is SCT...almost all will agree. And although canned are good such as 5* they will also reccomend a custom tune from a site vendor here.
I do not have a tuner yet, hopefully soon, been reading the forum for a year.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Go with the SCT X4 from Unleashed Tuning......It's an easy to use tuner with a few canned tunes as well as a couple custom tunes, but more importantly it comes with excellent customer service and support from Torrie at Unleashed Tuning.

·
Registered
355 Posts
One thing I'd keep in mind is that the price difference between just the tuner and the tuner + email tunes is none to minimal... The SCT x4 retails around $399. The same tuner, with (1) LET or Unleashed tune is still just $399 (from LET or Unleashed). Or the same tuner with (3) 5* tunes is $429 (from Stage 3). Everything I've read says that email tunes from Unleashed, 5*, or LET are much better than the canned tunes that come with the SCT x4.

So, unless you can get the tuner alone for way under retail somewhere else, IMO it only makes sense to buy one from one of the tuners who know and love the EcoBoost platform and have spent a ton of time making some great tunes for it.

I have access to the X4 for a bit less than retail, but buying (3) 5* tunes separately jacks the price up over $450, so I'm getting mine from Stage 3.

EDIT: unless by 'canned tunes' you meant those that come from one of these tuners, and by 'custom tunes' you mean dyno tunes with your own truck on the dyno... Then, proceed as planned =)

·
Registered
728 Posts
One thing I'd keep in mind is that the price difference between just the tuner and the tuner + email tunes is none to minimal... The SCT x4 retails around $399. The same tuner, with (1) LET or Unleashed tune is still just $399 (from LET or Unleashed). Or the same tuner with (3) 5* tunes is $429 (from Stage 3). Everything I've read says that email tunes from Unleashed, 5*, or LET are much better than the canned tunes that come with the SCT x4.

So, unless you can get the tuner alone for way under retail somewhere else, IMO it only makes sense to buy one from one of the tuners who know and love the EcoBoost platform and have spent a ton of time making some great tunes for it.

I have access to the X4 for a bit less than retail, but buying (3) 5* tunes separately jacks the price up over $450, so I'm getting mine from Stage 3.

EDIT: unless by 'canned tunes' you meant those that come from one of these tuners, and by 'custom tunes' you mean dyno tunes with your own truck on the dyno... Then, proceed as planned =)
5 Star does give a discount to forum members. If you look in their vendor area from about two weeks ago - $399.95 with 3 tunes. $429.95 for 6 tunes.

·
Registered
355 Posts
5 Star does give a discount to forum members. If you look in their vendor area from about two weeks ago - $399.95 with 3 tunes. $429.95 for 6 tunes.
Great info, thanks. In looking at this, it appears that both 5* and Stage 3 are doing a Memorial Day sale of some sort. I guess that will be the extra motivation needed for me to pull the trigger on this.

I am interested in the 'Lifetime Tunes' that Stage 3 offers, which is why I am likely to go through them. Most of my upgrades will be in stages so I think this makes sense for me.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Great info, thanks. In looking at this, it appears that both 5* and Stage 3 are doing a Memorial Day sale of some sort. I guess that will be the extra motivation needed for me to pull the trigger on this.

I am interested in the 'Lifetime Tunes' that Stage 3 offers, which is why I am likely to go through them. Most of my upgrades will be in stages so I think this makes sense for me.
Not to take away from Stage 3 in any way, as I do buy from them myself, but the tunes for life is a 5 Star program.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'll look into the 'Lifetime Tunes' as my mods will also be in stages.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for weighing in guys....I had almost convinced myself that Diablo was the way to go.

Looks to me like it'll be SCT.

Let's get on to my dumb question....sorry to beat you guys down with this....Do I need to take my truck somewhere to get a custom tune or how does that work?

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
The tuner you select will email you a spec sheet to fill out on your truck.
Stage 3 has full walk through instructions on its website.
You choose what octane and if you want an economy, tow, and or performance tune.
Than it gets emailed to you. You download it to your SCT-Bam!...your ready to go.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think most good tuners have Life Time tunes on the vehicle your sct marries. If you make changes to the vehicle they will update the tune typically for free.
Check with them before you buy.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not to take away from Stage 3 in any way, as I do buy from them myself, but the tunes for life is a 5 Star program.
Wow, I completely missed the link at the top of 5 Star's page that says "FREE TUNES FOR LIFE!". I actually went to the SCT X4 product page on their website to see if anything about free retunes was mentioned, and couldn't find anything. Seems like they should put that on the product pages that qualify for this program to make it even more obvious.

Also it sounds like you can buy the tuner from them, and other parts from Stage3 or other 5* dealers and it would still be eligible for a free retune. Good stuff.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hey OP,
just an FYI,be patient and check the forums regularly. I picked up a unmarried (still had 4 marrings left) sct x4 tuner with everything but a mount which I didn't need off this forum for $225 otd. I didn't need to out any more money re tunes until it came time for custom tunes (soon very soon). Just updated and flashed (truck is 2014 and had 9k mi). So instead of laying out $400 keep an eye out for used x4s. You can get custom tunes from 5*, let, unleashed loaded on this. I think 5* is $199 for 3 custom tunes

Steve
2014 SCREW EB 3.31 WHITE 91OCT PERF

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've found, through everyone's advice, buying the SCT x4 from 5* and getting 3 custom tunes and using the promotional code 5star, I can get what I want to get started for $418 and some change. This will most likely be the place I start, unless I stumble across a better deal, even if it were to be unmarried and used, kind of like some of my friends, I consider giving that a shot!!

Thanks for the input guys!!!

Chris

·
Administrator
10,008 Posts
I lucked up and got an SCT for the price of sending it in to be unmarried (170) plus $160 for tunes. But I spent the $500 on a warranty.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts