F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of glow-lights that I'd like to put behind the mesh on either side of the chrome grill of my 16 XLT SCrew. I was poking around on it today but I didn't find a way to get in there except take the screws out across the top. Is that about my only choice? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I would definitely recommend removing the grill shell to install any lights behind it.
You might also try a few places holding the lights in with masking tape or similar to get the best 'glow'.
I personally think that when you can see the lights meant for the 'glow' it looks tacky as hell.

Reactions: Eco-Mica

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally think that when you can see the lights meant for the 'glow' it looks tacky as hell.
Yep, I'm right there with you!

Reactions: milesej05

·
Banned
2 Posts
Hi folks! When I saw this topic for the first time I thought about charcoal grill smoker like in this https://bestgrill.reviews/charcoal-grill-smoker/ article. Seriosly what else could came to your mind when you read Behind the grill lights? But anyway, thanks for useful tips that thankfully I had no chance to use. And hope that I would not, because I like my car like second wife (joking...).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got them installed. This is the effect I was looking for. Looks better in person than in this pic. You can't actually see the lights, just the reflection of them.

grilll lights.jpg

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
thought reds, blues, greens were illegal on vehicles

·
Admodistrator
2,391 Posts
Those would never fly in Utah. Red lights are for the guys pulling you over (emergency vehicles).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, they're not actually visible, just the reflection of them, and they don't flash. We'll see.

·
Admodistrator
2,391 Posts
Well, they're not actually visible, just the reflection of them, and they don't flash. We'll see.
You might get away with it but it isn’t a good idea. People that are coming towards you shouldn’t be seeing red as if there are brake lights or an emergency vehicle ahead of them. I can’t honestly say that your decision is a wise choice. In fact if you were coming up behind me with red lights I’d probably be pissed. No offense intended.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Had amber lights in the hood scoop of the '07 Tacoma. Got pulled over, upon second look I was OK. The red wouldn't fly in Iowa.

·
Administrator
4,079 Posts
Taken directly from the Kentucky DMV website:

Kentucky law does not restrict usage of additional vehicle lighting which would include neon underglow. Therefore it’s our conclusion that in Kentucky neon underglow is not illegal, with the following exceptions:

• Displaying any kind of flashing or rotating lights, except in the case of an emergency, is not permitted.
  • Displaying blue lights is not permitted.
  • Displaying red light visible from front of vehicle is not permitted.
  • Any aftermarket lights visible from front of vehicle should be white or amber. White, amber or red are permitted on back of vehicles. Technically underglow lights are not directly visible but to stay within the law you can consider only using white or amber underglow which should be perfectly legal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts