F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Moderstrator
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:
I want to improve the overall handling of my 2018 Lariat Crew Cab, 4x4, 6 1/2' bed truck.
  • I don't tow and I don't haul anything on any regular basis - I might, 1 or 2 times per summer, pull my in-law's boat around town from lake to lake, but that's about it.
  • I only go off-road whenever I drive off the edge of the driveway (not very often).
  • Leveling the truck is a minor consideration (I can live happily without leveling it unless this really improves handling).
  • The truck is stock with 41K miles, I drive maybe 7500 miles per year (much less if it keeps going to the dealer for repairs and sits there 2 - 3 weeks each time).
  • Brand new shoes bought 500 miles ago - Michelin Defender LTX M/S 275/55 R20 113T's.

I am looking to improve the overall handling. I like to drive it, not cruise around in it. I know it is not a sports car but would like better overall handling.

Potential Solution:
From all my reading through the Forum, I am thinking that I would benefit most from just adding Hellwig sway bars, front and rear. Do you agree or disagree?
What else should I consider...
new shocks and struts?
Or should I leave it as-is?

· Moderstrator
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all. Sometimes deciding to not make a change is the best decision.
I've read the opinions and comments several times, each time feeling more and more like it is best to wait on adding and or upgrading sway bars.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

· Moderstrator
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update: I have decided to start by adding Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners. The rears arrived today. I'll put those on soon and get a feel for the improvement over the 42K mile old shocks. Once the fronts arrive, I'll get them installed (or maybe I'll brave the work myself), truck aligned and again get a feel before moving forward with a Hellwig rear bar. I do not plan to add a Hellwig replacement up front (but never say never!).
I feel this thread helped me understand the content of the other extensive threads on sway bars immensely.
Many, many "Thanks" to all who participated!

· Moderstrator
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I want to keep it close to stock. Will probably set the fronts to the +.79” setting.

Reactions: Upshifter

· Moderstrator
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I picked up a set of rear 5100s might install them tomorrow morning. They look nice
I’ve had a set of 5100s and a pair of Hellwigs in my garage, waiting for a cooler day to install. But I don't think I’ll tackle the front 5100s myself.
I’ve gone to one shop and got an outrageous price to swap the shocks and springs.
There’s another shop a little further away I need to stop by and chat with them next.

· Moderstrator
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Yes. It rides nicely. Firmer over the bouncy corners around here. Went on a lake road too, twisty turny and it felt more planted.
On the local neighborhood roads it was smooth and softer but no bouncing on the little bumps.
I like ‘em!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.