F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 Screw Cab
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just so everyone knows I did use the search function and came up with nothing. Times change anyway so maybe opinions on best replacement battery has to.
I was thinking about going with an Odyssey or Northstar AGM battery but not sure if they are really worth the dough. Also considered running down to the local Sam's Club and picking up a Duracell Platinum AGM for alot cheaper. Any input would be appreciated.
O and I've never bought into the optima brand let's just say I'm not a fan. If you do some battery research they are at the bottom of the best battery list. They are very well marketed and highly talked about performance wise they are just barely better than the standard lead acid battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've always had good luck with Motorcraft Batteries

Just so everyone knows I did use the search function and came up with nothing. Times change anyway so maybe opinions on best replacement battery has to.
I was thinking about going with an Odyssey or Northstar AGM battery but not sure if they are really worth the dough. Also considered running down to the local Sam's Club and picking up a Duracell Platinum AGM for alot cheaper. Any input would be appreciated.
O and I've never bought into the optima brand let's just say I'm not a fan. If you do some battery research they are at the bottom of the best battery list. They are very well marketed and highly talked about performance wise they are just barely better than the standard lead acid battery.
When you get any new battery be sure to check the date of manufacture to make sure it's a fresh battery

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I got an Odyssey PC-1750 for my diesel Jeep which i believe is the same one the F150 uses. The thing was a beast. I thought it was gunna sheer the teeth off the starter the first time i cranked it.

Then my alternator died 45 miles out in a national forest without cell services and i drove back until the engine died. This was a diesel so didnt need much power to run and the battery was at like 8.6 volts when i got it home. It still works fine, just not like it used too. I domt think too many other batteries could have survived that.

Whether its worth paying the money for the F150, IDK. My jeep is a *****. Even starting it in my fully insulated garage that rarely drops below 40* can be a pain so i wanted the best i could get.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Definitely not Optima. They were decent 10+ years ago, prior to being sold to Johnson Controls and shuffled to Mexico.

Odyssey is pretty decent, although I've found recent variants to be not quite as good as their older stuff.

If you want the best, you want either Deka/East Penn or Northstar - both US manufacturers. The Duracell Platinum AGM is East Penn, and the BatteriesPlus X2Power is Northstar. I've been very happy with my X2Powers so far.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Still on the OEM batt on my 13.. It still checks out fine on load test, but it is over 6 years old.. I've used Interstate batteries in the past on vehicles and have had good luck with them too, but I don't run anything more than stock loads on the electric system, so dunno if you have any extra loads or not?

I know I won't be going to the local Walmart for the next battery, but I'm also not going to jump on those other name brand batteries either..

Might just go to a Ford dealer and see what they have to offer... Seems like the OEM has been pretty good so far, so??

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Administrator
11,384 Posts
I think Odyssey is about as good as it gets. I've also read numerous reports of the Optima batteries not being what they used to be. From what I understand, they were bought out some time ago, and are not the solid choice they once were.

The only vehicle I've ever really bought batteries for was my Super Duty I had for so long, and I actually had great luck out of Walmart batteries in it. The first pair I put in it were Exide I think, and they were junk.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

·
Registered
762 Posts
Never had anything to complain about with Walmart batteries. I have one in battery hell and it's four years old and still functioning. It's in my diesel Kubota L2550GST which sits a lot, needs juice for the glow plugs before cranking, is subject to vibration and banging around from the loader. Oh and it's up front right behind the radiator. The last Walmart battery lasted five years in this version of battery hell.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Administrator
11,384 Posts
I got started on them when I worked at a Walmart distribution center. 10 percent off adds up when you buy $200 worth of batteries at a time. I've since just stuck with them because they are decently priced even with no discount, and they always served me well. They're in everything now, boat and fourwheeler. I suspect when this truck needs one, Walmart is where I will turn.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Still on the OEM batt on my 13.. It still checks out fine on load test, but it is over 6 years old.. I've used Interstate batteries in the past on vehicles and have had good luck with them too, but I don't run anything more than stock loads on the electric system, so dunno if you have any extra loads or not?

I know I won't be going to the local Walmart for the next battery, but I'm also not going to jump on those other name brand batteries either..

Might just go to a Ford dealer and see what they have to offer... Seems like the OEM has been pretty good so far, so??

Good luck!

Mitch
Im also on OEM 2013 battery. I’ll go back to the dealer for another one. In fact my 1999 F150 OEM battery lasted just shy of 10 years. I even bought a motorcraft battery for my 69 classic car mostly because it says motorcraft on it. I’m a little anal about OEM look and parts.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Still on my OEM 2012 battery and going strong! Still has a good green light in the viewer......I occasionally throw the trickle charger on it if it is going to sit for a few days!
Think I'll stick OEM if (and when) it goes!

Reactions: WooBoost

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I know a lot of people don't like the new optima but I am really liking my red top. I have had it for 2 years and no issues. Starts great in cold weather and when im jumping people.
Nice battery and looks good with red and black everything on my truck lol

·
Registered
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 Screw Cab
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So the factory CA is 925 and CCA is 750 I believe. Would it not hurt the truck, or related electrical components I should say, if I put a NorthStar or Odyssey battery in that have a CA of 1700 and CCA of 930? Don't want to fry something by having to much power lol.
And no I don't have anything extra as of now pulling power but a better quality amp, sub, and door speakers may be in the future. Other than that it's just the factory loaded FX4 stuff.
Truck still has the factory battery so yes it's going on 6 years old. I've had a low voltage light once or twice and it's taking a few more "cranks" to start. She still has some life left but would rather trade her in for a new younger model! ?

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
So the factory CA is 925 and CCA is 750 I believe. Would it not hurt the truck, or related electrical components I should say, if I put a NorthStar or Odyssey battery in that have a CA of 1700 and CCA of 930? Don't want to fry something by having to much power lol.
And no I don't have anything extra as of now pulling power but a better quality amp, sub, and door speakers may be in the future. Other than that it's just the factory loaded FX4 stuff.
Truck still has the factory battery so yes it's going on 6 years old. I've had a low voltage light once or twice and it's taking a few more "cranks" to start. She still has some life left but would rather trade her in for a new younger model!
Your starter will only draw what is required from the battery, so more will not hurt anything. Definitely helps on cold mornings.

Think if it like your house. Most houses have a 200A service (where I am anyway). A lot of people will upgrade to a 400a service just to have it. It doesn't mean they are using 400a, but it is available if they need it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have been running a Bosch AGM for the past year with no issues.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Batteries Plus Bulbs has an exceptional AGM
Please explain, i have one near me I think.

My 2014 is stock and still going strong on the stock one. This is non AGM. Newer f150 have AGM stock.

I had made another thread long ago, I plan on using Odyssey or XS Power when I need to upgrade. They have the best reviews. I will spend the money if it lasts a long time it is fine.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
I've liked my Odyssey since putting it in last fall. Strong starts in some really cold weather.

I suggest looking into the NorthStar AGM battery, I've heard very good things and would have went that route if I could have got my hands on one.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Please explain, i have one near me I think.

My 2014 is stock and still going strong on the stock one. This is non AGM. Newer f150 have AGM stock.

I had made another thread long ago, I plan on using Odyssey or XS Power when I need to upgrade. They have the best reviews. I will spend the money if it lasts a long time it is fine.
That's the X2Power I mentioned earlier. They aren't cheap, but they're exceptional AGMs, made by Northstar. Great warranty too, with no questions asked.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts