F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on a summer roadtrip around labor day. I have a stock intake, exhaust, and intercooler. All I have is an SCT livewire running 5* 91 tune. What would be the best use of my money to increase my MPG? I was thinking either:
1. New intercooler
2. Intake and Exhaust
3. Meth injection

I have about $1000 to budget, and these 3 options are all about there. What have you guys done that helped the most. Also I'm thinking about buying a mid-rise topper for camping. Anyone done that? What have you used and did it work well? GF won't camp in a tent where there are bears, so camping in truck it is. Although for 2 grand for a topper, we could buy a lot of hotel rooms.... woman logic.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Downpipes would probably be the next best item to let the motor work easier. Can't offer advice on the topper, sorry.

·
Registered
823 Posts
2k for a topper buys a lot of hotel rooms... woman logic
1k for a performance upgrade buys a lot of gas... man logic

10k miles, 15 mpg, 3 bucks a gallon = $2000 in gas a year
10k miles, 16 mpg, 3 bucks a gallon = $1875 in gas a year

125/year in gas savings means break even on 1k "mpg" part is 8 years off. if you put on gobs of miles maybe sooner, but gas might be cheaper where you live too. thats assuming any of those parts even net you 1mpg with no additional costs (meth cost money)

buy them for the performance not the mpgs :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've slept in a box with a topper , given I exceed 6ft tall in a 5.5 box it wasn't the most fun , topper had sliding screen windows to keep the bugs out and air threw so that part wasn't bad. What I would recommend is a small pop up trailer , easy to set up , easier to re sell in the future.
if wanting something real cheap to sleep in the box, buy a truck tent with one of those truck bed air mattress

·
Registered
69 Posts
Biggest way to save MPG? Keep your foot off the pedal haha. Adding performance mods will not help you do that in my opinion.

Mythbusters tested F150's MPG using truck canopies etc. The most fuel efficient set up is how the dealership sold it to you :) The open box actually creates a pocket of slow moving air and all the fast moving air goes right over the box. Even something like putting your tailgate down decreases your MPG because that slow pocket of air cannot form.

My experience camping in Canada is that anywhere with high bear populations usually have a fenced campground for soft side campers and tents.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Going on a summer roadtrip around labor day. I have a stock intake, exhaust, and intercooler. All I have is an SCT livewire running 5* 91 tune. What would be the best use of my money to increase my MPG? I was thinking either:
1. New intercooler
2. Intake and Exhaust
3. Meth injection

I have about $1000 to budget, and these 3 options are all about there. What have you guys done that helped the most. Also I'm thinking about buying a mid-rise topper for camping. Anyone done that? What have you used and did it work well? GF won't camp in a tent where there are bears, so camping in truck it is. Although for 2 grand for a topper, we could buy a lot of hotel rooms.... woman logic.
I've slept in a box with a topper , given I exceed 6ft tall in a 5.5 box it wasn't the most fun , topper had sliding screen windows to keep the bugs out and air threw so that part wasn't bad. What I would recommend is a small pop up trailer , easy to set up , easier to re sell in the future.
if wanting something real cheap to sleep in the box, buy a truck tent with one of those truck bed air mattress
I found it ironic that the topper adds weight and decreases gas mileage which is the subject of the post.

I didn't like truck bed sleeping BC of the wheel wells.
Have you seen what he mentioned? A tent for your bed? And the tailgate is down so its longer, I believe. And its lighter for gas mileage.

I think the y pipe was mentioned as the next best mod.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My 4" exhaust added one MPG. Before the new wheels I was getting around 17.5, after new wheels I dropped to 15.1, after exhaust I'm now at 16.1. I do 90% highway at 77 mph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts