F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm still breaking in my EcoBeast, but when I do change oil, I'm going with Mobil 1. My last vehicle was a turbo charged PT Cruiser, and it went 120,000 with only regular preventive maintenance on the car for the 9 years that I drove it, and I drove it like I stole it.
I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, and have extensive knowledge of turbo charged internal combustion engines, and the largest problem with the turbo's is that when you shut down the engine, the dino oil sits in the turbo shaft bearing area and just cooks and forms varnishes and cokes that shortens the life of the bearings and seals in the turbos, eventually causing premature failure. Full synthetic oils do not have these properties.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome to the EcoBeast forum Filthy Animal!

I am gonna stick with conventional until I use up the free oil changes that came with my truck. So at about 9 or 10k I will switch to Mobil 1. I really like M1 and have had great success with it in previous vehicles.

SPPD

·
Registered
578 Posts
I agree with all of the above in the synthetics, I have seen really good results from Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and there are coultless praises for Amsoil, I use Castrol, after seeing some pretty convincing results/data while working at the BP Amaco research facility in Naperville Il. But as I've stated before, I am steeped in the philosophy of frequency, My oil gets changed fairly religously at 2500 miles in all of my vehicles, and like those above, I get a ton of trouble free miles out of my vehicles, but I can't justify the cost of synthetic oil at those mileage intervals. It's bad when the guy at the Oil change place tells you that synthetic oil would be a waste as often as you change oil... I've put on over 18k since thanksgiving, so he'd make a lot of money if I used castrol synthetic

·
Registered
75 Posts
We always let our Cats cool down a bit before shutting them off. I used an egg timer and simply set it at 5 minutes then the engine would shut down.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just take to dealership and let them do what they think it needs. Sure I would save a few bucks doing it myself but this way they'll have it on file my truck has been regular pm'd and only touched by them so nothing can come back and bite me in the ass later down the road.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I ran the original oil for a little over 3k. Then changed at my mechanics to synthetic blend. Then back to dealership at 7700 miles for another change of the blend. Ran that till 14,200 and went to full synthetic. I do a lot of freeway driving, have 15,000 in less than 3 months.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Found a site couple of weeks ago after hearing about break in oil and best oil for turbos,hope it helps,(my first ford ever will be here end of month can't wait ) independent oil study at speedtalk.com/ forum break in oil

·
Registered
143 Posts
Service manager at Ford says when they do the first service they use a synthetic anyway. I will be switching to Mobil One through when the ecobeast reaches 7,000.

·
Registered
360 Posts
...the largest problem with the turbo's is that when you shut down the engine, the dino oil sits in the turbo shaft bearing area and just cooks and forms varnishes and cokes that shortens the life of the bearings and seals in the turbos, eventually causing premature failure. Full synthetic oils do not have these properties.
I thought that the F150 EcoBoost turbo's are water cooled, not oil cooled. Therefore, you do not have to wait for turbo spooldown-cooldown like other Turbocharged vehicles and be worried about oil temps..??..

·
Registered
868 Posts
I thought that the F150 EcoBoost turbo's are water cooled, not oil cooled. Therefore, you do not have to wait for turbo spooldown-cooldown like other Turbocharged vehicles and be worried about oil temps..??..
you are correct they are liquid cooled which helps keep temps down while the water pump is running but still require oil lube.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The turbo shaft runs in a pressurised oil bath. It actually floats in the oil at the speed it's turning. But the tolerances are so tight, any coking of the oil causes excessive wear.

I'm more concerned about cold start up during the winter months. Organic oils tend to get very slow at anything under -10c.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
...I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, and have extensive knowledge of turbo charged internal combustion engines, and the largest problem with the turbo's is that when you shut down the engine, the dino oil sits in the turbo shaft bearing area and just cooks and forms varnishes and cokes that shortens the life of the bearings and seals in the turbos, eventually causing premature failure. Full synthetic oils do not have these properties.
Dave, in the past I have read that it is best to let the engine "idle a few moments" before turning off the key. I could see this if I was running "hard" and now wanted to shut down the engine. But I would think it it is unnecessary when you were just driving in traffic and shutting down. I know some other engines (with turbos) have aftermarket oil cirulators to minimize coking after shutdown.

I too am a fan of synthetic and was debating about switching the oil shortly after I break in my engine. I too got some free oil changes and the dealership said I could swap to full synthetic if I pay the price difference.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You are correct. The clocking of the turbos allow the thermal siphon effect to pull coolant through the bearing housings as they continue to cool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
19 Participants
medik418
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing