F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are probably a few threads about this but I’m going to go ahead and ask it again. What are the best spark plugs you can use in your opinion, for a stock 3.5 V6 ECOBOOST

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Given people on this site often talk about changing OEM spark plugs at 30000 miles I would not use them. A good set of spark plugs can easily make 75,000 miles and will usually last 100,000.

I have always used NGK spark plugs. I have found they work the best and last the longest regardless of make and model of vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,692 Posts
I'd argue that in THESE twin Turbo direct injection motors, what makes a spark plug a "good" spark plug is far less about longevity than might be true in other motors.

But I'm also willing to agree that all of these motors are not equally demanding of their spark plugs. The driver and the tune/fuel demands can vary dramatically the combustion chamber environment, as well as the demands on the plugs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,108 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR- No more. Too many issues to continue to fix the money pit
866 Posts
OEM. I've tried others. OEM, over and over. (And yes, I too heard the Moto's are NGK's)

I did get a good LOL out of the 75k miles on a spark plug on these engines. I'll bet the 75k spark plug motor chokes on carbon before it needs new plugs.

·
Registered
2019 F150 XLT 4x4 2.7 Screw
56 Posts
I've never had a set of spark plugs last more than 35k miles on any boosted or n2o motor. When I mean last, mean that the spark provided was good enough to keep the engine running well and not have power issues. When a spark plug wears, the gap increases, which can lead to rough idle and spark blow out at upper RPMs.

I am seriously thinking of swapping the plugs out at 25k miles. If you're pulling them, might as well have replacements. They're not expensive and the job is straight forward/easy.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'd argue that in THESE twin Turbo direct injection motors, what makes a spark plug a "good" spark plug is far less about longevity than might be true in other motors.

But I'm also willing to agree that all of these motors are not equally demanding of their spark plugs. The driver and the tune/fuel demands can vary dramatically the combustion chamber environment, as well as the demands on the plugs.

I do forget about the tunes and can definitely see how that would shorten life dramatically.

It would be funny if Ford uses NGK's. I guess that would explain why some of you think they are the best.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,692 Posts
You can literally drive this truck around and never get into the boost.

I'm not saying that's how I drive my truck, but it is absolutely possible for the circumstances on the road to render it NA for considerable lengths of time.

And I'm convinced that lots of folks, based on the way they drive, don't see much forced induction time on their trucks.

Now contrast that with a typical nice weather day and I'm out on a few errands and several times I light the boost gauge up to MAX. And several other times at say 7-10lbs.

The wear on the plugs during NA miles, even though they are direct injection miles, must be a fraction of the wear at the moments the combustion chamber is at 18 or 19psi, along with those injectors firing their 2000+psi pressure washer fuel streams at the end of that plug.

So it's not surprising to me that the lifespan of plugs in these motors could easily vary by 100% or more, depending on use.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I'm not saying that's how I drive my truck, but it is absolutely possible for the circumstances on the road to render it NA for considerable lengths of time.

And I'm convinced that lots of folks, based on the way they drive, don't see much forced induction time on their trucks.

Now contrast that with a typical nice weather day and I'm out on a few errands and several times I light the boost gauge up to MAX. And several other times at say 7-10lbs.

The wear on the plugs during NA miles, even though they are direct injection miles, must be a fraction of the wear at the moments the combustion chamber is at 18 or 19psi, along with those injectors firing their 2000+psi pressure washer fuel streams at the end of that plug.

So it's not surprising to me that the lifespan of plugs in these motors could easily vary by 100% or more, depending on use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Meh, I have almost 93K on my 2015 and if still has the original plugs. Drives just fine and I've yet to have an issue. That said, I'm gonna change the plugs in a week or so before it gets hot here in Arizona. Don't understand why people change them so early...and often?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Meh, I have almost 93K on my 2015 and if still has the original plugs. Drives just fine and I've yet to have an issue. That said, I'm gonna change the plugs in a week or so before it gets hot here in Arizona. Don't understand why people change them so early...and often?
BC the boost and fuel is turned up plus heavy foot

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,569 Posts
Found some sp-542's $60 shipped to my door, a little pricey but I don’t mind, actually helping the guy out during these difficult times, He sells a variety of parts for the F150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: De52king

·
Registered
378 Posts
Found some sp-542's $60 shipped to my door, a little pricey but I don’t mind, actually helping the guy out during these difficult times, He sells a variety of parts for the F150

Is that your choice or what 5 Star recommends?

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,569 Posts
Is that your choice or what 5 Star recommends?

Not sure about 5 star but it's a one step colder plug and since I run my e30 tune somewhat often figured I'd throw those in.

Reactions: Dworth

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed Autolight spark plugs in mine about 2 years ago, I have has no issues, I have heard that autolight and motorcraft plugs are made in the same factory...but cant confirm this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.