F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. Im looking to improve my mpg with a tune and wondering what tune people reccomend. My 13' FX4 has 33" AT tires and a 2" lift in front by way of Bilstein adjustables. 373's gearing. Im currently only getting 12.5 mpg combined which kinda sucks. Thx.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Have you adjusted the computer to compensate for the taller tires? If not, then your speedo/odo is running slower than stock.. So you are showing less miles on the odo, even if you are hand calc your mileage, unless you are compensating for the loss in miles on the odo before you calc?

Computer mpg would be off too for the same reason I would think.

I'm getting about 17 mpg on average on my daily commute to work and back. Most hwy, but my avg mph is only around 35 mph...

I can get 20 mpg on straight hwy and I'm totally stock tire size, except it's an AT style tire. I do have the 1.5" Bilstein shock front level too and 3.73 gears.

Not sure a "tune" will do it, other than correcting your speedo/odo.

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you adjusted the computer to compensate for the taller tires? If not, then your speedo/odo is running slower than stock.. So you are showing less miles on the odo, even if you are hand calc your mileage, unless you are compensating for the loss in miles on the odo before you calc?

Computer mpg would be off too for the same reason I would think.

I'm getting about 17 mpg on average on my daily commute to work and back. Most hwy, but my avg mph is only around 35 mph...

I can get 20 mpg on straight hwy and I'm totally stock tire size, except it's an AT style tire. I do have the 1.5" Bilstein shock front level too and 3.73 gears.

Not sure a "tune" will do it, other than correcting your speedo/odo.

Good luck!

Mitch

Thx Mitch. I had been curious about whether my tires would effect my speedo/odo. Is there a way to re-program the computer to compensate for the tires that i can do myself without buying a tuner? It had been my understanding that there was a tune that would adjust shift points to sync better with the level and tires and would also re-program the computer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
On the 11-14 f150s you have to flash the truck with a tune in order to adjust the tire size/gear ratio.

You can either purchase just a calibrator (like Superchips flashcal ) or purchase a tuning device ( SCT, Ngauge)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Thx Mitch. I had been curious about whether my tires would effect my speedo/odo. Is there a way to re-program the computer to compensate for the tires that i can do myself without buying a tuner? It had been my understanding that there was a tune that would adjust shift points to sync better with the level and tires and would also re-program the computer.
Yup, you're looking at a tuner to fix your tires, and make the math for your MPG correct again. I'm assuming your speedometer is off by a decent chunk, huh? I had the same issue until I got a tuner, and adjusted the tire size to the correct parameters. But then, with all the power I got out of it, I went the other way with the mpg's due to my heavy foot. If you have more self control than I do, you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
I have heard mixed results with ForScan and the 12th gens. It’s cheap and may be worth a shot.

As noted, the most common route is to adjust with a tuner. There used to be a hyper tech device that was JUST for adjusting tire size, but not sure if it’s still around or available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve been using the Diablo Trinity II tuner for about a year. I have 2013 FX4 with stock tires. I’m averaging 1.5 to 2.0 mpg better depending on my speed. The best I avg over a 15 mile stretch of straight highway and no wind going 60 mph was 22.3 mpg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts