F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just took delivery of a 2021 F150 in iconic silver. I wrote about it on another thread (F150 purchasing). I have a question that I wanted to post separately however....

I don't like dealer decals or plaques on my vehicles. To me, they are just clutter. On my last several vehicles they - at my direction - omitted them. However, on this one, a got a plastic "Planet Ford" plaque, about 2x2 inches or so, mounted on the tailgate. Have to say, it looks better than most, but............

I want it off, but I don't want to damage anything. I could pry it up, or try pulling a piece of dental floss under it, but will this leave marks or hurt the paint?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I would slowly heat it with a heat gun, then see if it comes off with the adhesive attached by gently pulling it off. Another approach would be to ask the dealer to remove it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Well, I couldn't be patient and went out and used a piece of fishing string and sawed back and forth - wearing gloves of course. It came off quickly, leaving some residue. I used GooGone and it took it right off, and I followed that with windshield cleaner to remove the Goo Gone. It came out perfectly, likely because it had only been on a day or two at the most.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2019 F150 XLT 4x4 2.7 Screw
40 Posts
Fishing line(low test) or tooth floss. Get it behind the "plaque" and work it back and forth.

It will cut through the adhesive. When the "plaque" is removed, apply goo gone on a towel/rag/etc and use it to remove the remaining adhesive. Afterwards, clean with soap/water and apply wax or your favorite coating.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Had not heard of using fishing line before! I used WD40 on a dealer decal and a plastic edge scraper (same kind of tool you might use to push out bubbles when installing a decal) and the decal came off fairly quickly, with minimal residue to clean off.

Reactions: ndtguy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just removed my dealer chrome plaque. Hair dryer and plastic putty knife was easy. I also removed the 4X4 decal from the bedside. I barely scratched the driver side rear bedside....barely as in $600 body shop charge. Anyway, the decal came in the wrong one so the body shop let me take the truck home and they would put the decal on when it came in. But the more I looked at the truck with no decal the more I liked it. So, I canceled the decal and removed the passenger side. I know my truck is 4 wheel drive and with the 5 1/2 foot bed it takes up the whole area between the tail light and wheel well.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,043 Posts
Same. I don't need anything to tell people what engine I have or what the drivetrain does.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I always tell dealerships to either remove all their badges and stickers or pay me a monthly advertising fee. I even tell them to not put a dealership license plate frame on it.

They always remove the stickers and frames. I then debadge it the rest of the way once I get it home. Hair dryer and a rubber eraser.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just removed mine about 2 weeks ago. I used a heat gun to heat it up, and a bond spreader to get underneath it. The left over glue can be stubborn. An eraser wheel works well. While most won't recommend it, I've used acetone on a rag to scrub it off, and have never had any damage occur.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Same. I don't need anything to tell people what engine I have or what the drivetrain does.
I asked the dealer if they put their dealer plate on the rig itself before buying it.. They said no, but I did get the nice license plate frame with their name on it! :)

I have it hanging in my garage for a keepsake.

I wish I had the old school muscle car engine badging on an old school muscle car! Would love the good ol' ones from around 1970 of every make and model of car... :)

428 CobraJet, BOSS 429, 426 HEMI, 440 Six Pack... Etc... :)

Mitch

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,043 Posts
I love that orange stuff for removing adhesive !

·
Moderstrator
3,594 Posts
I have used flat style dental floss to remove emblems from an older car. I felt that the floss would be softer on the paint than monofilament fishing line. It worked well for me.

“There is no right way to do a wrong thing”.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We think alike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts