F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok the sales man call me today , we chated , tells me it'll be a few more weeks , ( 4 more)
so i ask if the rear glass was a slider or not , he tells me it's not no the XTL , it's an option
he says if your not planning on towing for any time soon (rv trailer), he says get the sliding glass instead of the big mirrors

what do you guy's think

·
Registered
117 Posts
All personal choice, mine has both. I really do like the big mirrors, prolly will not use the sliding glass very much at all.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It really depends if you are going to tow at all or not. I have the Tow mirrors and love how much coverage they provide especially in the blind spots. I also have the Power Sliding rear window which is nice on the supercrews as there is no way I could reach back and open/close it if needed. If you have a supercab it wouldn't be as bad and maybe more worthwhile. The only benefit to the sliding rear window for me is venting and airflow as I do not use it to access anything in the bed. The mirrors even when not towing are nice and very functional... However the standard mirrors are also functional and sportier looking... If I had to make a call it would be the towing mirrors over the sliding rear window as I use the mirrors way more than the sliding rear window.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we plan on towing soon enough but the kids seem to like opening the rear window on my 03 f150
really it's more for them then my self

·
Registered
589 Posts
LOL! Understand that part. Well if its not too much more and within your budget I would recommend both as the beneft will both meet the kids needs and equal happier road trips and the towing mirrors will add some safety and function when you are towing and also keep you happier and less stressed! :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I love my dumbo ears (towing mirrors)! I would choose the mirrors over the slider any day of the week. I love the mirrors while towing, and when not towing. They provide the best blind spot coverage of any mirror on any vehicle I have ever owned. But in the end you have to live with it, so choose what suits your needs best.

SPPD

·
Registered
311 Posts
There is no doubt the tow mirrors offer the best coverage.

I opted for the standard mirror though for wind drag but mainly I prefer the appearance. I originally planned to use a CIPA tow mirror for my camper but honestly the 2013 mirror is so much wider and larger than my previous 2002 vintage F150 that I am thinking I do not need them? Will make my first pull to the campground this weekend and will decide after that.

As far as rear glass I have it but don't find it useful for towing. Visibility out of the rear window was a trade off with the new truck and the window is not any help. With my old truck, I used to drop the tailgate to back up my boat trailer so that I could see it when backing in to retrieve the boat. With the higher back window and headrests on the new truck I can't see the trailer now and I am using my side mirrors to back up the boat trailer. They work pretty well for this but the tow mirrors would probably have been a plus with the convex lower mirrors and ability to extend further out to the sides.

Agree with the comment about venting with the rear slider plus the kids and the dog seem to like it too. Had a manual slider on a 97 Dodge extended cab and it was a real pain opening and closing from the driver's seat. The power option is the way to go if you are going to have a slider.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I have both. Honestly, I never use the rear slider. If I had to pick it would definitely be the tow mirrors.

·
Registered
943 Posts
It would most definitely be the mirrors!

·
Registered
495 Posts
The mirrors are ugly as sin. And a sliding window is IMO useless on a 4 dr truck unless you are stretch Armstrong or have rear seat passengers. Dogs can't open or close it and we have no at home kids.
We have the regular mirrors and no slider and I would not change either but we also don't tow a trailer of any type on a regular bases.
So my answer is neither one.
Don

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can add the big mirrors later as a DIY project, the power rear window can't be added. My truck has the power rear window and I bought the factory tow mirrors off eBay after buying my travel trailer.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I love the power beer window in my Super Cab. Climbing in when its hot, hit the switches for the door and slider and it cools the interior down quickly. Turn on the A/C, close em up and the tunes come from the iPod/Sync! Good to go. For my open trailer and me, the standard mirrors work fine. An enclosed might be different though anything bigger is going to provide additional drag/less fuel economy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Your budget notwithstanding, I agree on both the mirrors and the slider, if you're towing; but if not, the slider is pretty much invaluable when you're trying to go with open windows! The slider allows you to vent the cab (as stated above) to alleviate the buffeting (I believe that the owners manual describes it as drumming!)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I should add the mirrors are super easy to install, 30min job and I paid $325 for a set of power/heated (not power folding) mirrors. I still have my factory mirrors and have not decided if I wanted to switch them every fall/spring yet or not. The bigger mirrors are amazing to see all around you, but I have to take it a bit slower pulling in and out of the garage :) You will love the truck no matter what way you go!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't have the mirrors, however I have the power sliding rear window and I have to say I love it. With the touch of a button it's open or closed. You wouldn't believe the amount of air it pulls through. My 05 FX4 had it and so does my 13. Hope this helps with your decision.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have both the mirrors and the sliding rear window and I have to say that the mirrors are the biggest help. Not only do you get the larger field of view but you get the blind spot mirrors in them as well. If you are really fancy then you can get the power folding option and that cam make parking a little easier. I just know, from experience, nothing beats having a wide field of view when towing in harsh weather conditions with other drivers on the road.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not sure if I care for the mirrors either but since I will be towing I will need them. As for the slider...probably won't use it much but still nice to have.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I love the power beer window in my Super Cab. Climbing in when its hot, hit the switches for the door and slider and it cools the interior down quickly. Turn on the A/C, close em up and the tunes come from the iPod/Sync! Good to go. For my open trailer and me, the standard mirrors work fine. An enclosed might be different though anything bigger is going to provide additional drag/less fuel economy.
I highly doubt you would notice the difference in fuel economy between the two mirrors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
17 Participants
bigsteve57
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing