F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put this thread here because I would argue that the Gen14 F150 Is the poster child for the kind of shift taking place in the automotive world regarding the subject.

OK, that's not entirely accurate because the Mach-E was the first driving force that then led to Ford's crazy and ambitious plan to explode the concept with its biggest footprint in the industry, the Mighty F150.

To the average consumer, the question might be "What's the big deal? So there's a modem in my car/truck"

Well, that modem IS a threat in so many ways to Big Tech and their turf. So much so that if one courts ruling was binding, Ford's production would be immediately halted in Germany, for example, and Ford could not sell a vehicle with "that modem" installed.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I wonder if that modem system is paving the way to activating options on your vehicle?

I read that auto manufacturers want you to pay monthly/yearly for upgraded options on your vehicle. Things like automatic emergency braking, forward collision warning, blind spot warning.

Also I wonder if they have tracking ability on you?

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummm, it's already a fact on the Mach-E and F150.

Ford calls it "connected services"

Here it is in FordPass : (I have 4 current subscriptions)

Communication Device Font Cameras & optics Screenshot Multimedia

Font Screenshot Parallel Electric blue Logo

Font Camera lens Digital camera Material property Camera

Motor vehicle Font Newspaper Screenshot Cameras & optics

·
Registered
287 Posts
GM could/can track you with OnStar. I have heard stories of Corvettes getting calls from OnStar who thought the Vette was in trouble because they were driving really fast, when the Vette was actually on track at a HPDE or other track event. Onstar also unlocked my Silverado once when I locked the keys in the truck. I think I have seen stories of police using Onstar assistance to disable vehicles that criminals were using to slow/stop a police chase. So the OEMs know where you are.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, onstar and modem equipped vehicles aren't really new, so what's the fuss?

My analogy is the cell phone. They've been around a long time. But cell phones at one time were NOT something that humans stared at. You didn't see a table at a restaurant with 4 people sitting and staring at a device they were each holding in their hands.
But along came a device called the IPhone 3. What was so significant about it that it so altered the everyday, no....... Every moment of the ordinary humans life?
I see it from a perspective of corporate IT. The IPhone was licensed to run the Microsoft Exchange email client. So overnight suddenly a cell phone received the holders email. You actually LOOKED at your cell phone and typed your reply. The rest is history. 2007 was incredibly pivotal in ways we couldn't have predicted.

So, that modem in your Ford? It's no longer just a modem to dial 911.

In my opinion, in the context of the thread and Big Tech seeing an automotive manufacturer as a threat to their turf is really just evidence that Elon Musks Tesla was the IPhone 3, and Ford is just responding with their Samsung response, so to speak.

Ford is carving out an ambitious ecosystem and they naturally are expanding far beyond the legacy automobile turf. There's folks that are not happy with products like "Ford Streaming", let's just say.

Fascinating stuff happening right in front of our eyes.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
The job I retired from, worked for them 35 years. We had a fleet of 25 trucks working out in the field. They were equipped with Motorola two way radios. The whole business could hear every word you said. Mostly used to communicate with your dispatcher. Then the Nextel came out. You could just beep the person you wanted to talk to. Wait for them to respond. Awesome, nobody else could hear you. Then the I Phone. The first one was still used mostly for dispatch communications and calling fellow technicians. Went through 4 different models of I phones. Each one with more technology the the other. Then the I Pad came out and with data and apps that could be downloaded we started doing things that dispatchers did without calling them. Getting to your next job using maps got rid of the Thomas guide. Thats a map book for the young guys out there. About a year before I retired the company had been sold 3 times to companies that were more technically advanced then the previous. The final company I worked for grew to over 300 trucks in the field. And IT guys that invented apps and programs that we used to do our daily jobs. One program I didn’t like was a computer kept track of everyone and would give you calls automatically based on some kind of algorithms. Unfortunately that killed off the dispatchers. Then a program to get my supplies daily killed off a human in the warehouse. So now because of technology I was doing 3 peoples job with the same pay.
I‘m all for new technology but sometimes it comes at a price. Wonder what the next 35 years will bring us.
Sorry for the long winded post.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That wasn't long winded. In fact, you covered decades in efficient brevity. :)

I'm human, so I have opinions of the good and bad of technology. But I can't burn the whole thing to the ground since I fed the family and paid the mortgage supporting the use of technology by others.

Regardless, the expansion is inevitable. And the consumer vehicle is a new canvas for a lot of new approaches. It's obviously got some folks miffed and the lawsuits are flying over it.

I mentioned in another post that the legislature in one state was being lobby'd to make Ford's OTA illegal there. The dealerships don't like the idea of your vehicle receiving a TSB in your driveway. :)

·
Registered
2022 F150 SCREW, Power Boost, 6.5' Box, 4x4, 1645# CC
340 Posts

·
Registered
2022 F150 SCREW, Power Boost, 6.5' Box, 4x4, 1645# CC
340 Posts
Yea, onstar and modem equipped vehicles aren't really new, so what's the fuss?

My analogy is the cell phone. They've been around a long time. But cell phones at one time were NOT something that humans stared at. You didn't see a table at a restaurant with 4 people sitting and staring at a device they were each holding in their hands.
But along came a device called the IPhone 3. What was so significant about it that it so altered the everyday, no....... Every moment of the ordinary humans life?
I see it from a perspective of corporate IT. The IPhone was licensed to run the Microsoft Exchange email client. So overnight suddenly a cell phone received the holders email. You actually LOOKED at your cell phone and typed your reply. The rest is history. 2007 was incredibly pivotal in ways we couldn't have predicted.

So, that modem in your Ford? It's no longer just a modem to dial 911.

In my opinion, in the context of the thread and Big Tech seeing an automotive manufacturer as a threat to their turf is really just evidence that Elon Musks Tesla was the IPhone 3, and Ford is just responding with their Samsung response, so to speak.

Ford is carving out an ambitious ecosystem and they naturally are expanding far beyond the legacy automobile turf. There's folks that are not happy with products like "Ford Streaming", let's just say.

Fascinating stuff happening right in front of our eyes.
I don't care whether Ford streams or not. I don't want it enough to keep paying for it. If it's free great. If it's not free, not so much.

·
Premium Member
7,096 Posts
I have all the connected services on my Buick, for now, cause it's free. It will be cancelled at the end of the free trial, which they keep extending because I keep wanting to cancel. I can do engine diagnostics, tire pressure, location, lock and unlock, turn on/off lighting, etc etc etc from a My Buick app on this phone. They initially wanted $40/mo. Now they want $23/mo. If they get down to $10/mo I might keep it.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't care whether Ford streams or not. I don't want it enough to keep paying for it. If it's free great. If it's not free, not so much.
Since it IS free for the first 30 days, I actually don't know clearly what I am currently enjoying in the truck that is or is not reliant on Ford Streaming.
I need it to stop working so that I can find out. 🤣

Here's probably the best way to describe it.....
If I am using my smartphone as the source for my media consumption, and then using either Bluetooth or USB cable to feed the onboard entertainment system with that source media, I'm obviously not using Ford Streaming.

But since the truck has its own LTE connectivity, it's possible for the truck to provide its own source media to the entertainment system. I could turn my phone off completely and still have Alexa fetch me music, Audible book, podcast.... etc. And I am fully expecting Ford to get into the content business if it proves potentially profitable.

Again though, I don't know exactly what the boundaries are. Alexa is funded with my personal Amazon account. The AT&T LTE connection is funded with my AT&T account. So it's blurry where Ford streaming comes in for me to use the AT&T connectivity to stream "Let It Go" on Amazon prime music?

I'm not going to renew Ford Streaming until I can experience what doesn't work without it. I'll be sure to report here, of course.

It's not just Powerboost Rambling. It's the latest Ford Rambling. :)

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have all the connected services on my Buick, for now, cause it's free. It will be cancelled at the end of the free trial, which they keep extending because I keep wanting to cancel. I can do engine diagnostics, tire pressure, location, lock and unlock, turn on/off lighting, etc etc etc from a My Buick app on this phone. They initially wanted $40/mo. Now they want $23/mo. If they get down to $10/mo I might keep it.
Those features are free though on all Ford's that support FordPass.
I hope it stays that way.

·
Premium Member
7,096 Posts
Those features are free though on all Ford's that support FordPass.
I hope it stays that way.
Yes I hope so also. Cause in a couple years ... maybe.

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 SCLB Max Tow
675 Posts
It’s went this way in the ag industry as well. We can guide customers in displays. We can view fault codes remotely. See where a customer is. Provide updates to modules remotely. Very slowly as well. Cell service isn’t up the snuff vs doing it with a diagnostic tool and a computer in person.

We have had guidance unlocks and feature unlocks for years.

No different then Sirius Satelite Radio.

·
Registered
2020 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4, 3.5L, SuperCrew, 6.5' Bed
77 Posts
Connected vehicles are not your friend. You are the product to vehicle manufacturers as an additional source of revenue. The more private data they can collect, the more valuable it is for them to sell and the more you will eventually get screwed down the road. If you are in doubt, I would suggest reading Ford's Privacy Policy (really an oxymoron). It is not just Ford though, it is essentially every auto manufacturer where some are even worse by requiring subscription fees just to remote start your car for example (cough*Toyota*cough).

How does Ford make their vehicles connected? They partnered with AT&T years ago to embed 4G LTE modems in their vehicles that communicate over the AT&T mobile network. Regardless of whether or not the operator uses Ford Pass, the modem will always phone home. It will also create Journey recordings tracking your whereabouts and driving characteristics even if you tell the Ford Pass app not to record Journeys.

Disconnecting your Connected Vehicle is easy on some manufacturer implementations but more difficult on others without losing functionality. On my 2020, the simplest way to disable the modem is to pull the 5A MICRO3 fuse in slot 10/11 on the passenger side.

Motor vehicle Machine Gadget Font Auto part

Fuse 10 is identified as being for the "Embedded Modem Module" and it powers the Telematics Control Unit Module. Fuse 11 is identified as being for the "Combined Sensor Module" and it powers the Perimeter Anti-theft Alarm (Intrusion Sensor Module). On the 2020, removing the MICRO3 fuse has no impact on functionality such as drivability, navigation, satellite radio, etc. Granted, the Intrusion Sensor Module will be disabled but a simple solution would be to modify the fuse by breaking off the tap that connects the Fuse 10 circuit and then reinstalling the fuse.

After removing or modifying the fuse, you will then notice that Ford Pass can no longer see and track the vehicle. Ford Pass will report the vehicle mileage, oil life remaining percentage, etc. based on the last input it received from the modem connection. Any previous Journeys recorded will still be shown as the data is in the cloud but those recordings roll off after Ford sells your data, I mean after 90 days of collection.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here is a (link to truck forum removed in accordance with forum rules) from over on the Tremor forum where I concur with the comments made by Jericho.

Software solutions for mobile security simply do not work or are designed to make the user believe that their information is secured. Even if you lock down an app on your phone for example, vendors typically push updates that either default configuration settings back to make communications open or they will add more open features that you will need to locate and discover. Once discovered, the data they wanted to collect has already been taken.

·
Premium Member
7,096 Posts
Paranoid much ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do you enjoy your right to privacy? I get it that most people don't understand and/or comprehend the sheer amount of data that is being collected and sold about them. I guess you never heard of anyone being screwed over yet based on data harvesting.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're on the internet.
It's kinda too late for privacy. I don't like it, but I am enjoying the tech and the wonderful features that come from it.
That modem in the truck can perform a TSB in the driveway and I don't have to deal with the dealership.

·
Premium Member
7,096 Posts
Do you enjoy your right to privacy? I get it that most people don't understand and/or comprehend the sheer amount of data that is being collected and sold about them. I guess you never heard of anyone being screwed over yet based on data harvesting.
I probably haven't heard of much here in the podunk hillbilly barefoot toothless country.
You are never going to get away from it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts