F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Wouldn't be caught dead with 4 of them.
3, on the other hand, feels safe enough.

·
Registered
2020 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4, 3.5L, SuperCrew, 6.5' Bed
123 Posts
You're on the internet.
It's kinda too late for privacy. I don't like it, but I am enjoying the tech and the wonderful features that come from it.
That modem in the truck can perform a TSB in the driveway and I don't have to deal with the dealership.
You can still get the benefit of both worlds. Simply connect the fuse powering the modem when you need an update and pull the fuse once complete.

·
Moderstrator
1,913 Posts
My opinion - trying to hide from the internet privacy invaders and data miners is a lot like trying to hide from air. Sooner or later, you'll realize you need some air and have to come out of hiding... 🎈

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm simply suggesting a way to make collection more difficult. Nothing wrong with that IMHO. I guess it is a generational point of view thing. For example, federal taxes came about during World War I as a means to pay for the war and have only ballooned over time into something society deems as a norm. If you lived during the cold war, many would believe having most of our manufacturing being dependent on the USSR as being treason. Today, it is deemed acceptable thanks to globalization that most our manufacturing is dependent on China. You also see our government change where even more recently, agencies turn their power and authorities inward against their very own citizens (e.g., Domestic Surveillance Directorate, IRS adding 87k more agents, etc.).

I still believe in having a reasonable expectation of privacy but understand that the evolution to a globalised and open Internet throws that concept out of the window. One will never get away from the type of collection being done but there are prudent things that one can do to make it more difficult. The sheer amount of data Google has is insane but I am sure many have not looked at Google Takeout to see even some of it. One can request their data to be deleted but it has likely already been sold to one of the data brokers that are a different kind of animal.

The above is simply my opinion and I understand others may have a different viewpoint. It's all good.

·
Registered
2013 race red SCrew 4x4 air lift bags
2,415 Posts
What exactly are they tracking that I'm going to care about?

Feds- "ahh ha! He's driving to the store and according to, our own patriot act and invading his privacy, he bought milk AND bread!?"

Do you use the internet? Do you buy anything online? Do you use a credit card? Do you use a cellphone or gps?

·
Moderstrator
1,913 Posts
I'm simply suggesting a way to make collection more difficult. Nothing wrong with that IMHO...
I appreciate your inputs and reading your point of view (POV) on this - and also agree there is nothing wrong with you doing this. I feel this forum is a great place to read other people's opinions and see their POV articulated. It is also a great place to have a civil discussion on these differing POV's. Who would have thought privacy issues and truck systems would be so intertwined?
Thank you for your inputs!

·
Registered
123 Posts
What exactly are they tracking that I'm going to care about?

Feds- "ahh ha! He's driving to the store and according to, our own patriot act and invading his privacy, he bought milk AND bread!?"

Do you use the internet? Do you buy anything online? Do you use a credit card? Do you use a cellphone or gps?
Ford and most car manufactures today are tracking pretty much everything if the vehicle is connected. The modem is used to constantly push data out from the vehicle and into the cloud. There are claims that this data is anonymized but that is simply not true since legal experts already ruled that the VIN is considered personally identifiable information that gets aggregated with a bunch of other data. Ford even admits in their Privacy Policy that they aggregate all of this data along with your demographics, financial details from purchasing, etc. and shares (a.k.a., sells) it to third party companies that are not specified. Marketing and insurance companies are prime targets interested in buying your data.

To get a sense of some of the data collected, take a look at a Journey recording in the Ford Pass app. Every time you drive, it plots your start and end points on a Goole map that shows point in time traffic congestion, vehicle direction, speed along the route and grades your driving performance against a predetermined algorithm indicating rapid acceleration, hard cornering and hard braking. If your spouse has a tendency to critique your driving, then this can be considered as a spouse on steroids that never sleeps.

Why should the average person care? At a minimum because all of this data about you is being sold while you don't have an opportunity to defend yourself or even earn a dime from it. You paid big money to buy a new vehicle while in many cases not knowing that you also sold yourself to be an additional revenue stream. The collected data creates a pattern of life profile that can and likely will be used against you down the road. Say you have a tendency to drive 5 MPH over the speed limit regularly or occasionally. If you get into an accident, your vehicle data can be subpoenaed and a case can be made that you are at fault given that historical data has shown you to be an aggressive/reckless driver that has no respect for posted speed limits. Even if you always obey the posted speed limits, the grading of your driving performance could also be used against you. If you have a vehicle that you take to the track occasionally and buy separate track insurance, Ford does not care or know this when they sell statistics to your insurance company.

A lot of rambling but I think you get the point of what I am trying to say. I personally do not like cell phones but have learned to live with them. I also prefer using cash instead of credit; it makes it easier to manage what you spend money on. GPS uses one way communications so it still works perfectly fine if the modem is disconnected. Other manufacturers, such as Chevy, force the GPS signal through the On Star unit before being passed on to the navigation system.

·
Moderstrator
1,913 Posts
My Ford Pass app doesn't have a Journey tile - it did before, it is gone now.
The Connect Services tile has no services inside of it.
2018 Lariat

·
Registered
123 Posts
My Ford Pass app doesn't have a Journey tile - it did before, it is gone now.
The Connect Services tile has no services inside of it.
2018 Lariat
I disconnected my vehicle over a year ago because I did not like the fact that Journeys were being recorded even when I explicitly had the setting in the app turned off. Apparently, the Ford Pass app was updated around May of this year to remove the Journey feature. Regardless, I do know that the same data points are pushed out from the modem into the cloud. I guess Ford just updated the app so it can't see Journeys anymore that are stored in the cloud.

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Journey was recently dropped by FordPass.
Ford's official explanation was they are removing features that have little interest and creating features that customers desire.

Also, you couldn't get away with disabling the modem and re-enabling it when "you want an OTA update" on the Gen14 F150 because it's not setup for OTA on demand.
Instead, it requires the truck to occasionally update the cloud with its current AsBuilt data. Nobody yet has been able to discern when or how that update is initiated. And on top of that the cloud determines when the VIN is going to be queued up for the OTA. If anything causes it to fail, like battery management status or truck not responding to polling, the VIN is skipped and moved to a future queue.

Also, as true as it is that there is a ton of granular data reported IF you don't disable it, Sync4 has a very granular set of choices regarding what you want your truck to report and what you don't.

I'll get some screenshots of how that's broken down and how you can make choices regarding.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for the explanation but I gotta say that stinks. I will never buy a vehicle where the manufacturer (i.e., previous owner) continues to maintain an ownership stake. I paid for it so it should mine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
And get a Faraday bag big enough to store your phone in. I no longer carry my phone into stores because there's too many lowlifes trying to steal your data when inline. I've seen them in the parking lot trying to unlock & start newer vehicles remotely.

·
Premium Member
7,141 Posts
Yep.
Paranoid much.
KSA

·
Premium Member
7,141 Posts
21 - 38 of 38 Posts