F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was talking to a friend about his Fusion Sport and I looked at CRPs website for the fusion turbos and I realized they have a stage 3 upgrade for the MKZ and Fusion that has a 46mm compressor wheel and stock turbine though. I already shot an email to Andrew at CRP about seeing if I can throw that 46mm compressor on my larger 45mm turbine and then just get compressor covers milled a bit larger for the 46mm. Anyway, it’s always a quest for bigger and better!

Only reason I’d consider it is they technically would be a tad bit more efficient, and I’d be able to run a bit less boost probably and they’d be louder. 😁 If that in and of itself isn’t reason enough. Haha

· Registered
10,507 Posts
Are the transverse motors Borg Warner? I know the 3.5L in the Taurus Sho/Explorer/Flex used Garrett turbos

Reactions: boostkingMatt

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the transverse motors Borg Warner? I know the 3.5L in the Taurus Sho/Explorer/Flex used Garrett turbos
Hmm I don’t know. I know the turbos for the Explorer ST are fairly large. Not sure how large, but they are significantly larger than the f150s stock turbos. Explorer STs can make 550-600whp on e50 and e85 with stock turbos. The f150 would never come near to that.

But the ST turbos wouldn’t work on the f150 due to the different turbo design. But the 2.7 fusion and MKZ look exactly the same.

I’m notsure if they are Borg warners, the look slightly different than the f150 turbos. They have very small compressor wheels though unlike the Explorer ST.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The turbos do look different.
Top picture is the f150 stage 4 43mm Borg Warners like I have. Bottom pic is the stage 3 46mm fusion MKZ turbos
Product Font Automotive lighting Gas Auto part

Silver Automotive tire Font Jewellery Rim

Reactions: Boatwaco

· Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
1,211 Posts
Your my hero, you remind me of my buddy that owns a bike shop with his constant projects. Always tinkering. I love seeing what your doing.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your my hero, you remind me of my buddy that owns a bike shop with his constant projects. Always tinkering. I love seeing what your doing.
Haha 😛 If you’re so interested, wanna donate? Lol just kidding

Reactions: Boatwaco

· Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
1,211 Posts
Haha 😛 If you’re so interested, wanna donate? Lol just kidding
Lol 😂 If I win the lottery. I’ll gladly sponsor you and make sure you can always push further.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol 😂 If I win the lottery. I’ll gladly sponsor you and make sure you can always push further.
Sweet!! Time for a built motor, big Garrett turbos and a custom fabbed intercooler and boost delivery.

· Registered
739 Posts
"Billet motor" fixed that for you lolol ;)

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully Andrew responds to me about these turbos so I can give you guys an update. I really want those 46mm wheels. I wonder if he could even make me a larger compressor, like a 48mm/60mm compressor wheel. That would be sweet. Then I could run like 14 psi and have about the same power I have now and then if I go up to see my parents we can make a custom tune for that high elevation that has good power on 91 octane and those turbos would have no trouble. Haha

· Registered
10,507 Posts
Hopefully Andrew responds to me about these turbos so I can give you guys an update. I really want those 46mm wheels. I wonder if he could even make me a larger compressor, like a 48mm/60mm compressor wheel. That would be sweet. Then I could run like 14 psi and have about the same power I have now and then if I go up to see my parents we can make a custom tune for that high elevation that has good power on 91 octane and those turbos would have no trouble. Haha
I am not saying this is what CRP does, but it is incredibly easy to order compressors of any size or shape from China. My buddy that builds custom diesel turbos has ordered all sorts of whacky stuff.

· Registered
10,507 Posts
48/60 is the Garrett G25-550 size. I would use that wheel if you could. Its super efficient and each one can flow like 50 lbs.

In fact, why dont you just stop beating around the bush and get someone to make you and adapter to bolt on some G550's. :ROFLMAO: They make them in both rotations so you can keep the symmetrical turbo setup

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
48/60 is the Garrett G25-550 size. I would use that wheel if you could. Its super efficient and each one can flow like 50 lbs.

In fact, why dont you just stop beating around the bush and get someone to make you and adapter to bolt on some G550's. :ROFLMAO: They make them in both rotations so you can keep the symmetrical turbo setup
That would be sick. I just don’t know how to go about it. Who can make me that adapter?

Reactions: FanaticalKilla

· Registered
10,507 Posts
That would be sick. I just don’t know how to go about it. Who can make me that adapter?
I think any machine shop could. I bet it would be pretty simple since the G25's are V-band. You just make the adapter with a V-band on one side and that would allow you to clock the turbo easily for the downpipes. You can already kinda get something similar on ebay, just not the right bolt pattern for the 2.7 head.

Font Rim Auto part Circle Metal

But you would need custom downpipe connections, custom water and oil lines, custom intake boots. It def wouldnt be drop in.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think any machine shop could. I bet it would be pretty simple since the G25's are V-band. You just make the adapter with a V-band on one side and that would allow you to clock the turbo easily for the downpipes. You can already kinda get something similar on ebay, just not the right bolt pattern for the 2.7 head.

View attachment 185025

But you would need custom downpipe connections, custom water and oil lines, custom intake boots. It def wouldnt be drop in.
Yeah… probably will stick with my stage 4s

· Premium Member
5,264 Posts
Hmm I don’t know. I know the turbos for the Explorer ST are fairly large. Not sure how large, but they are significantly larger than the f150s stock turbos. Explorer STs can make 550-600whp on e50 and e85 with stock turbos. The f150 would never come near to that.

But the ST turbos wouldn’t work on the f150 due to the different turbo design. But the 2.7 fusion and MKZ look exactly the same.

I’m notsure if they are Borg warners, the look slightly different than the f150 turbos. They have very small compressor wheels though unlike the Explorer ST.

I don't think the ST turbos are that big. We strung mine right out and at 3500ft of elevation, the MOST I've seen out of them is 49#/Min. The guys over 500whp are all running CRP Stage 5's or Pure 700 Turbos. Some on stock turbos are getting a little over 500whp with injectors and a pump and running full e85. These motors seem to respond very well to ethanol, compared to even the 3.5's.

For reference the stock 2019 Turbo's on my 2014 3.5 truck hit 57#/min at similar WGDC levels as the ST numbers above.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think the ST turbos are that big. We strung mine right out and at 3500ft of elevation, the MOST I've seen out of them is 49#/Min. The guys over 500whp are all running CRP Stage 5's or Pure 700 Turbos. Some on stock turbos are getting a little over 500whp with injectors and a pump and running full e85. These motors seem to respond very well to ethanol, compared to even the 3.5's.

For reference the stock 2019 Turbo's on my 2014 3.5 truck hit 57#/min at similar WGDC levels as the ST numbers above.
Wow. Interesting. Thanks for the info. I usually see about 44-48 lb/min on my stage 4s, but that number is way off and is more like 57 lb/min, and then with my timing, it’s about 550-560 at the wheels. These turbos have hit 61 lb/min before on a super spicy tune. And I will say, I felt a huge difference in the way it was pulling at 100 mph.

Reactions: Blown F-150

· Premium Member
5,264 Posts
Wow. Interesting. Thanks for the info. I usually see about 44-48 lb/min on my stage 4s, but that number is way off and is more like 57 lb/min, and then with my timing, it’s about 550-560 at the wheels. These turbos have hit 61 lb/min before on a super spicy tune. And I will say, I felt a huge difference in the way it was pulling at 100 mph.
Have you put the truck on a dyno?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts