F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Have you put the truck on a dyno?
Yes and I will just say in short, the results were inconclusive. Made wayyyyy less power than I thought, power numbers that don’t make sense for how fast the truck is actually going according to dragy and datalogs.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

· Premium Member
5,244 Posts
Yes and I will just say in short, the results were inconclusive. Made wayyyyy less power than I thought, power numbers that don’t make sense for how fast the truck is actually going according to dragy and datalogs.
Understood, just curios as I haven't followed along with your build thread that much. The Wife's ST runs a 12.63 on 94 and weighs 5000lbs (almost exactly with me in it and 1/2 a tank). I know that the HP calculators put it an easy 50hp above what it would realistically put down.

Be careful with getting HP numbers based on online calculators. They are often quite generous as you go up in altitude, which leans more to a NA car, than forced induction. There is even more of a delta when you use SAE correction on a Dyno.

Anyway, as long as you're happy about the times, the HP numbers don't really matter IMO. I don't chase times with my truck, as that isn't the basis of the build, so I use Dyno's to track gains/progress.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Understood, just curios as I haven't followed along with your build thread that much. The Wife's ST runs a 12.63 on 94 and weighs 5000lbs (almost exactly with me in it and 1/2 a tank). I know that the HP calculators put it an easy 50hp above what it would realistically put down.

Be careful with getting HP numbers based on online calculators. They are often quite generous as you go up in altitude, which leans more to a NA car, than forced induction. There is even more of a delta when you use SAE correction on a Dyno.

Anyway, as long as you're happy about the times, the HP numbers don't really matter IMO. I don't chase times with my truck, as that isn't the basis of the build, so I use Dyno's to track gains/progress.
Yeah, the calculators do add a bit, but on the dyno it said I’m putting down 450hp and 470tq which doesn’t make any sense.

I’ve ran a 12.35, a 12.37 in the 1/4 and my truck weighs about 5300lbs give or take. Also, I’ve had a 4.00 second 0-60 with a lousy 60’, so if I could get good traction on a launch I could run a 12.1 in the 1/4.
my 12.37 was with a 4.11 0-60. But if I had a 3.90 0-60 which is perfectly possible with a good sticky launch I’d be looking at a 12.16 1/4 mile. And I believe on some 17” wheels and small tires I’d do an 11.90 I bet.

There is just no way that you could run those times with only 450hp at the wheels. That doesn’t make sense to me, it’s over 500 at least at the wheels.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The 3.5L trucks who run low 12s all have about 540-580whp
And the 3.5s running 11.6-11.8 have around 600 or more.
Remmys truck for example that ran a 10.7 was 2 wheel drive, (less weight) and had 650hp and 650tq at the wheels.
Now he has 855hp and 810tq at the wheels and ran a 10.2 with a very easy going launch.

· Premium Member
5,244 Posts
Yeah, the calculators do add a bit, but on the dyno it said I’m putting down 450hp and 470tq which doesn’t make any sense.

I’ve ran a 12.35, a 12.37 in the 1/4 and my truck weighs about 5300lbs give or take. Also, I’ve had a 4.00 second 0-60 with a lousy 60’, so if I could get good traction on a launch I could run a 12.1 in the 1/4.
my 12.37 was with a 4.11 0-60. But if I had a 3.90 0-60 which is perfectly possible with a good sticky launch I’d be looking at a 12.16 1/4 mile. And I believe on some 17” wheels and small tires I’d do an 11.90 I bet.

There is just no way that you could run those times with only 450hp at the wheels. That doesn’t make sense to me, it’s over 500 at least at the wheels.
Totally agree that you're over 500whp. I think you'll find though, that dropping an additional 2/10ths here and another 10th there is not super easy once you really get down to it. You'll find, to get better traction, it will have to be warmer out and that means a higher DA.

Food for thought, my truck weighs 6500lbs with me in it. Dynod last at 509whp, and was making a little more after (~530whp). I can't launch my truck, due to suspension set up and cut a 2.15 60ft and the Truck managed a 13.23 1.4 mile.

Please, trust me that I'm not trying to come across as negative. I've just watched time and time again, where folks compare to others (usually ones in Texas) and expect that they are going to see similar results. They end up frustrated in the end as expectations don't get met. You have a fast truck, tweak and work on technique and have some fun!

· Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
1,205 Posts
Totally agree that you're over 500whp. I think you'll find though, that dropping an additional 2/10ths here and another 10th there is not super easy once you really get down to it. You'll find, to get better traction, it will have to be warmer out and that means a higher DA.

Food for thought, my truck weighs 6500lbs with me in it. Dynod last at 509whp, and was making a little more after (~530whp). I can't launch my truck, due to suspension set up and cut a 2.15 60ft and the Truck managed a 13.23 1.4 mile.

Please, trust me that I'm not trying to come across as negative. I've just watched time and time again, where folks compare to others (usually ones in Texas) and expect that they are going to see similar results. They end up frustrated in the end as expectations don't get met. You have a fast truck, tweak and work on technique and have some fun!
There is a definite art to making a vehicle quick at the drag strip. Lot of things gotta come in line and happen for that Hail Mary pass that only comes around once and a while. Trucks in general are tougher because of the incorrect weight distribution.

· Premium Member
5,244 Posts
There is a definite art to making a vehicle quick at the drag strip. Lot of things gotta come in line and happen for that Hail Mary pass that only comes around once and a while. Trucks in general are tougher because of the incorrect weight distribution.
Yup, or you can just try and send it and eat transmissions, like they are disposable, lol.

· Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
1,205 Posts
Wow that’s pretty bad! 🥺

Buddy of mine who used to race at the track with me had a doozy but a cheap one at least. Launched in 1st gear on his 2005 GSXR 1000. Heard a loud bang and bike hit the rev limiter. Bike was dead in every gear. Hauled it off the track and home.

He pulled the clutch cover, nothing smelt burnt or anything. Pulled a couple frictions and steels. Brought it to me and said that something broke on the trans. Dropped the engine and tore the trans apart. No issues to be found!

Pulled apart the clutch and the second last friction broke in three or four pieces. New clutch and it was all better.

Reactions: rjschatts

· Premium Member
5,244 Posts
Wow that’s pretty bad! 🥺

Buddy of mine who used to race at the track with me had a doozy but a cheap one at least. Launched in 1st gear on his 2005 GSXR 1000. Heard a loud bang and bike hit the rev limiter. Bike was dead in every gear. Hauled it off the track and home.

He pulled the clutch cover, nothing smelt burnt or anything. Pulled a couple frictions and steels. Brought it to me and said that something broke on the trans. Dropped the engine and tore the trans apart. No issues to be found!

Pulled apart the clutch and the second last friction broke in three or four pieces. New clutch and it was all better.
Well, the truck went home on a trailer after that one, lol. I had to rebuild a brand new fully built trans out of the States that was a week old. Fun times...

· Registered
10,494 Posts
Just put sand bags in the bed like my grandpappy did.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Yeah. Thanks, it is fast, and I enjoy it for sure. Yours is fast too. Yeah, I may get some pump juice to throw under the tires to reach my desired 3.9 0-60 but we’ll see. Now that the truck is set where I like it I’m not as big on chasing numbers. I’d just like to have that 3.9 0-60 and that’s it.

· Registered
2020 F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost SCREW 4x4
99 Posts
Have you thought about moving to a 3.5 or 5.0 as a new platform to build?

· Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
15,249 Posts
I hope he doesn't.
The 2.7 stood in the shadow for quite a while. I've rather enjoyed watching it break out into the sunlight and holding its own.

It's an outright overachiever, at this point.
Stout little brother, it turns out.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Have you thought about moving to a 3.5 or 5.0 as a new platform to build?
Currently there’s no plans to get a new truck. I don’t think i will do that until this truck has 100k+ on it.

Reactions: skrsys

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I hope he doesn't.
The 2.7 stood in the shadow for quite a while. I've rather enjoyed watching it break out into the sunlight and holding its own.

It's an outright overachiever, at this point.
Stout little brother, it turns out.
What would be a dream come true is a built motor and trans, then we could really see what she has! If someone sponsored a motor for me I’d really push this motor to see how hard the 2.7 can be pushed. Then when it gave up I’d throw the built motor in it.

· Registered
2020 F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost SCREW 4x4
99 Posts
Currently there’s no plans to get a new truck. I don’t think i will do that until this truck has 100k+ on it.
Maybe you might want to take on Godzilla by then.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Maybe you might want to take on Godzilla by then.
Haha nah. I’ll probably always be in an Ecoboost unless some huge amount of funds are dumped on me because ecoboosts are much cheaper to mod. V8s just cost more, (supercharger or turbos, just costs to much to get them set up with boost)

21 - 40 of 53 Posts