F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

New to owning a truck. Have always had cars or jeeps before. Have a roof rack on the car and had hitch racks for the jeep but didn't want either for the truck. Bought a Dakine Tailgate pad but didn't want to use it unless I was shuttling.
Hmm whats a guy to do.
I seen a post somewhere where one fastened fork mounts directly to a hard tonneau cover. However I didn't want to drill into a new $1k cover, nor did I think it would support the uplift.
IMG_1416.jpg

Another consideration was to install BackRack Siderails and weld a bar to either side parallel to the back window. Then I'd have a spot for the fork mounts. Seemed a little costly and didn't like the look of those particular siderails.
backrack_side_rails_4.jpg

While looking over the install for the siderails I thought, why don't I bolt a bar via the stake pockets. Then quickly picked up some supplies.

67 1/2" HSS (1 1/2")

2 Stake Pocket Anchors (Toss the anchor)
8164105.jpg
Additional nuts and washers
End caps
0957133.jpg
Fork Mounts
5048205-NOC02.jpg
And this is the end result>

IMG_2157.JPG IMG_2154.JPG IMG_2152.JPG IMG_2149.JPG

·
Registered
442 Posts
Looks good.

I'm the one that drilled holes in a perfectly good Bakflip F1. :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How's the fiberglass holding up on the F1?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any details on how you mounted the bar to the anchor points? :D
I'll get more pics. But I basically drilled a 3/8" hole into one wall of the HSS, 3/8" from each edge of the bar. Dropped the bar onto the bolts rising up from each stake, then used a racheting wrench to fasten down a nut.

·
Registered
442 Posts
How's the fiberglass holding up on the F1?
Haven't had any issues, but the mounts sit atop a 48" by 2" by 1/8" piece of aluminum flat bar. There's one on the bottom of the panels too.
I did increase the size of the washer at each mounting point where the fixed panel is through bolted to the rails just for extra piece of mind.

This is actually my second F1 (first one replaced under warranty due to workmanship issues on the tailgate panel) that I have implemented this mount upon.

·
Banned
2020 Ford F-150
2 Posts
Hey All,

New to owning a truck. Have always had cars or jeeps before. Have a roof rack on the car and had hitch racks for the jeep but didn't want either for the truck. Bought a Dakine Tailgate pad but didn't want to use it unless I was shuttling.
Hmm whats a guy to do.
I seen a post somewhere where one fastened fork mounts directly to a hard tonneau cover. However I didn't want to drill into a new $1k cover, nor did I think it would support the uplift.
View attachment 69281

Another consideration was to install BackRack Siderails and weld a bar to either side parallel to the back window. Then I'd have a spot for the fork mounts. Seemed a little costly and didn't like the look of those particular siderails.
View attachment 69289

While looking over the install for the siderails I thought, why don't I bolt a bar via the stake pockets. Then quickly picked up some supplies.

67 1/2" HSS (1 1/2")

2 Stake Pocket Anchors (Toss the anchor)
View attachment 69225
Additional nuts and washers
End caps
View attachment 69233
Fork Mounts
View attachment 69241
And this is the end result>

View attachment 69249 View attachment 69257 View attachment 69265 View attachment 69273
Are bike racks universal? Do bike racks damage your car🧐 🚘 🚲?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts