F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Got no idea what’s going on with the above post and the repeated pics. My give up (Jar Jar Binks), it turned out well. Second from top clip position, very slight forward rake. It’s where he wanted it and he pulls a boat on occasion.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The spring compressor is mine, I used to turn wrenches for a living. It’s a very solid tool and has done anything I’ve ever asked of it. I bought it 25 plus years ago. These were made or at least sold by Moog but I couldn’t tell you if they’re still available. I know right after I purchased mine they shipped me a new and improved main screw, I think they had issues with the first one. This compressor has done a many hundreds of struts/coilovers (literally) and never so much as a hiccup.

I know that compressing these springs can be a real concern for many. That said, I don’t think this should frighten anyone. I’ve done a set of these very coilovers using 2 sets of the AutoZone quality compressors. I wouldn’t do it with one of these sets but 2 sets is safe enough. It just takes time turning four bolts. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Really like to get my 2018 f150 with some bilstein's underneath but not sure who I could take it to in New Jersey.
If anyone knows of someone or shop please let me know I'm a little nervous with the people around me.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My friend sent me these two pics of his truck once the Bilstein's were installed. It’s a very nice truck. I’m not really sure what to say. One of these pics looks as if this truck is nose up after install. It does not look like that sitting on my basketball court and a level across the bed rail does not show that either. This truck is slightly nose down. Anyway... @MAXXPAY

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks @GearHead_1. That’s exactly what I wanted to see. I think you’ve just confirmed I’d like to go a step below that as I have been planning [1.25”]. That still looks [email protected]@ss
I’m not 100% sure the figures that Bilstein lists per notch is accurate. I know that on mine, I initially installed them on the top groove. That said, it measured dead straight with a level on the bed rail but my eye said it was nose high. It gave a total of 2 5/8” of lift.

I drove it for a couple of months but just didn’t like how it appeared to me. I pulled them back off and put it on the second groove. It now shows a wee bit of a rake to the front using a level but my eye says it’s level. This was the look I was going for and in so doing made that recommendation to my friend. I think he’s happy with where it ended up.

There is however one difference. His is a 6.5’ bed and mine is a 5.5’ bed. I think it plays tricks with your eyes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Second set of these and the front is set to the highest setting, but with Pro Comp add a leafs in the rear the rake is slightly less than factory. Rake is needed for highway speeds, or faster.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
My friend sent me these two pics of his truck once the Bilstein's were installed. It’s a very nice truck. I’m not really sure what to say. One of these pics looks as if this truck is nose up after install. It does not look like that sitting on my basketball court and a level across the bed rail does not show that either. This truck is slightly nose down. Anyway... @MAXXPAY

View attachment 163075
View attachment 163076
Damn that's on the setting just below the top setting?
That looks a lot higher.
looks really good, if I did that I'd swap out the rear blocks with 3"

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
You would not be able to use the normal 5100’s on the rear with 3” blocks. They’re only good for an additional inch.
I ran that same setup on my old 2013 for about 20k miles on the oem rears and 3" rear blocks before I finally upgraded the rear shocks to the Bilsteins, then put another 60k on the rear bilstein's with 3-inch blocks.
That's why I was surprised how high the front end is on your friends with them only set at the notch below top setting. I had mine set at top setting and it didn't look that high.
But yeah, I had no issues running the OEM shocks or the Bilsteins with 3-inch and I'm off road quite a bit. I know it's not recommended but...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldn’t expect your steering wheel to change dramatically after install. That said, I’d be surprised if your toe didn’t need an adjustment. My friends was toed in quite a bit. This of course is all relevant to where the toe was prior to install. There’s always the remote chance that you’d move it more towards ideal. I’d have it checked just for grins an giggles.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey sorry to change the subject a bit my family and I are going on vacation here in about two weeks. They asked if I could drive since the F150 tows the boat a lot better than their SUVs. That said my mom does not like how my truck rides (E-range tires and timbrens on factory shocks with 93k) so her and my dad actually offered to cover the new shocks since I am driving which is pretty great lol

My question is this, how would you recommend asking someone to compress the front struts? Just go to the front of a local shop and ask for a quote for it? And secondly do I need to get an alignment done after I finish installing?

Finally if I don't have time between classes to get both done I think the way my truck rides the rears would help the most, is it ill advised to just do the rear and deal with the fronts after I get back?

Thanks!

EDIT: I have a 3 year alignment package through NTB or I guess now Big O tire and I am up for another alignment in just over 2 months.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’d haul the loaded coil-over into a front end shop you feel you can trust (Firestone, Dealer, PepBoys etc.). Making an appointment may be best. That said, if you hand them the old loaded shock and the new ones it will take them literally 30 minutes or less to change them. Calling them for a quote may ease your mind but I can’t see a trustworthy shop charging you more than $50 to swap them out. I’m still the guy that says this can be done in your home with a vice and either a good compressor or a couple sets of the cheaper sets like AutoZone lets you borrow.

Most importantly, if you aren’t confident in either your skills or you equipment, DON’T DO IT. There is a lot of pent up energy in these springs when compressed and someone could get hurt. If you trust your tools and skills this isn’t a hard job.

By all means, at least have your alignment checked. Chances are pretty good that it will need the toe reset.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts