F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pickup is a 2016 F150 2.7 screw, I recently upgraded my travel trailer to a larger size and one of the first problems I am needing to change is I need to get the WDH dialed in and probably the next agenda might be to upgrade my rear shocks. I have seen a lot on the forum about changing to the Bilstein shocks. I have checked online at my local parts store and have found at least three different rear Bilstein shock all with quite a bit of difference in price range. I am not wanting to buy something I don't need so I am asking which Bilstein shock most of you recommend? Thanks In Advance

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
The 5100's are popular because they can also level the truck with the way they designed the fronts.

I think it's the 4600's that fellas choose if leveling doesn't matter to them.

Since you are talking about the rears only, obviously it doesn't matter. But I personally think you will benefit by addressing all 4 corners with matched damping.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I researched shocks for the purpose of towing first and foremost ....than street performance. Originally I was going to go with the 4600's on the front because I like my trucks stock stance, than install 5100's on the rear. Now for me I have a 4x4 with airbags....so the extra travel built into the 5100's especially on the rear when the bags are aired up made way more sense to me. Extending the rear height but still having the ability for the shocks to dampen without overworking & or damaging the shock.
On the front I went with the 5100's because they have the option to adjust the ride height for a lift maybe in the future and also having the ability to take the transfer of weight/firce from the WDH when pulling a TT- WIN WIN IMO.
The shocks have a limited lifetime warranty and also automatically adjust for different terrain.
I really made the right purchase.
This coming from a satisfied previous Rancho RS9000XL shocks owner. Thing I really got tired of was manually adjusting the Rancho shocks.
I give the edge to Bilstein.
You won't be sorry.
Screenshot_20190811-131956_Facebook.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
5100s on the rear of mine. big help with the trailer bucking

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
This is what I went with on my 13 max tow.. The shocks are the 5100's (front too, on the 1.25" level) and the brakes are the Power Stop Z36 max tow and the overload springs are Hellwig 2500.

I went from a #5000 GVWR to a #7000 GVWR TT and had this package with the #5000 GVWR TT, and it even helped that combo.. With the heavier TT now, these things really come into play and it's still a solid tow and all handles well.. It's just heavier, so I can feel it for sure on the grades, but still plenty of power from the little Eco so no worries! :)

Mitch

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and advise, I think for starters I will install a set of 5100 on the rear to start with and see how they do. I was pulling a 20' travel trailer with GVWR of 5000lbs just updated to a 25' travel trailer with 7000# GVWR.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do both front and rear man. Mixing used with new is going to feel like the front is bouncing all over the place, especially since your not replacing the old with an oem replacement. The billsteins are completely different from oem

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I pull right at 9500lbs travel trailer and I still have stock shocks but went to air bags and my WDH. Even with my hitch I add about 25psi to the bags and levels it right out and drives great. It is time for new shocks though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts