F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there, I did it!! Bilsteins 5100s all around. 89K on Ruby. Hardest part of the rears was getting the wheels off! Fronts were a struggle for me, the coil over assemblys are heavy, the springs are stiff. My spring compresser was not up to the task, nor the one from OReillys so triple teamed, should have used all four. Wrestling the assembly back into the upper mount required a jack as did the steering knuckle. Yes I'm a whimp but I've earned my whimpyness (I'm 855 months old)

I left the front shocks on stock height. Initial impressions: feels like I let about 10psi out of the tires. I run 50 in the LT's. Doesn't try to shake itself to death on rough road patches.

Huge satisfaction for successfully completing the work!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You’re saying it took you three spring compressors to get the job done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Well there, I did it!! Bilsteins 5100s all around. 89K on Ruby. Hardest part of the rears was getting the wheels off! Fronts were a struggle for me, the coil over assemblys are heavy, the springs are stiff. My spring compresser was not up to the task, nor the one from OReillys so triple teamed, should have used all four. Wrestling the assembly back into the upper mount required a jack as did the steering knuckle. Yes I'm a whimp but I've earned my whimpyness (I'm 855 months old)

I left the front shocks on stock height. Initial impressions: feels like I let about 10psi out of the tires. I run 50 in the LT's. Doesn't try to shake itself to death on rough road patches.

Huge satisfaction for successfully completing the work!
Lol.

Great post.

(just wondering though about taking the rear wheels off. I've done my own rear shocks on several trucks. Didn't take the wheels off. But you get kudos from me for taking on the fronts. I ain't doing that. Ever)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose I could have done it without removing the wheels. I didn't have to lay on the floor this way and benefited by putting anti-seize on the mating surfaces of the wheel so maybe they will be easier to pop off next time I have to remove them.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and I also got to check the brake pads by removing the rear wheels. Gettin thin but not unexpected for the originals at 89K with around 30K miles pulling the travel trailer. Front and rears look about the same thinness. Next project.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
It looks to me like Ford changed up the front shock assembly from the 11-13's? Meaning you did not need to fiddle with the front coils, just pull the shock! From 14` on not so much-lol
Getting ready for that task soon!
Nice right up:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Up date on the shocks after a very few break in miles. I can't believe how nice the truck rides, it's like butta. I haven't noticed any harshness as some have mentioned. Just rides like 10-15 psi has been let out of the tires. Now I look for rough spots, at speed over RR crossings pot hole? What pot hole? I'd say they are perfect!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You’re saying it took you three spring compressors to get the job done?

Yes, they were rather wimpy for the job. One set I had for a previous job on my Hyundai, the other set I got from O'Reilly's. Would have been better if I had used all four. There's a lot of spring there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not going to lie, I wore my old college football helmet along with a baseball catcher chest protector I had laying around from coaching my kids when I did mine. The spring is rigid even with 1/2 impacts sucking the spring down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts