F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck keeps telling me it should have black rims...

Interested in pics of the 18" stock alloy Fx4 rims done in plasti dip. Seems easy enough to try and easy enough to undo if I don't like it. Any pointers around masking would be appreciated.

Thx

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
No real need to mask especially if you take the wheels off. And yup it's easy. I actually just cut a big half circle out of cardboard and just held it up to cover the tire as I sprayed worked great and you can peel it off the tire easily. Put several coats tho, light coats. First coat shouldn't really even cover much. It'll look like light splatter or over spray

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Just did my cac grill. Will be doing my Elantra wheels this week. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397403582.710292.jpg

Family 1st

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Cool. Btw, this is an f150 forum not Elantra.

#oakley

Family First

Reactions: ford4thot

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
That's Jason!

Family First

Reactions: 2Canches

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
157 Posts
They aren't ford rims but I did plasti dip my old trucks stock rims very easy to do, just apply in light coats.. It won't run either so if you put to much on in one spot it levels it's self out so you won't get any runs, I also did it to my camper rims without masking anything off just once dry use a tooth pick and peal the paint off the tire. Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
That looks really good! I might have to do this too!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
What did you do with the lug nut holes when you sprayed it? Any chance that you have a few more pics that you can post? It would be nice to leave the gray in the center of these wheels but guessing it would be difficult to mask and get a clean look.
I didnt mask anything at all and sprayed 3 cans worth of plastidip on the wheels many light coats including the lug nut holes, the stuff rubs right off the tires when you are done. I then painted my lugnuts with black krylon so they wjthstand my impact gun. Its raining so I'll get some more pics

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for the pics guys. I did two of my wheels this afternoon and I think they look great. The first wheel was a bit of a learning curve. The second was a breeze. I masked off behind the open part of the wheel to keep the inside of the wheel free of dip.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Looks great!

Certified Internet Warrior. I once ctrl alt del'd a man to death.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the pics guys. I did two of my wheels this afternoon and I think they look great. The first wheel was a bit of a learning curve. The second was a breeze. I masked off behind the open part of the wheel to keep the inside of the wheel free of dip.
I know this pic is not a 18" but I did the same thing with the center cap and then plasti dipped then using a toothpick to take the plasti dip off the ford logo......

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
I finally did mine today they turned out pretty well I have to do some touch up but it makes it look alot better. IMAG0402.jpg IMAG0403.jpg IMAG0404.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Best looking and cheapest cosmetic modification that I have done. I really like it and have had some guys comment on my "new wheels".

How much dip did you guys use? I went through not quite 3 cans for 4 wheels.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Best looking and cheapest cosmetic modification that I have done. I really like it and have had some guys comment on my "new wheels".

How much dip did you guys use? I went through not quite 3 cans for 4 wheels.
I think I used about that too I just kept going until I was happy. I bought a can for each wheel and I didn't use it all obviously

1 - 20 of 23 Posts