F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Threw a rod and knocked a hole in block. Damages $12,800 no warranty.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
How much miles? Tune or stock? When did it blow ?

2012 Ram Hemi aka Roger

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Nvm I see u Mpt tune bunch of mods

2012 Ram Hemi aka Roger

·
Registered
5,138 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Sure Tuning could have something to do with it. But these trucks throw rods stocked also. Yes tuning your pushing it in my opinion but that's part of the game. A blown motor for the majority of the time has nothing to do with being tuned or not imo.... So many other factors come into play.

Now what I don't agree with and hate to see is when tuners think they have something to prove and start taking things to a whole nother level, pushing the evenlope knowing they are jeopardizing customers rides bc they feel the need to prove something. Now when motors blow that way then I would say it's the tuners fault. There has to be a line no matter what the end user wants. Why bc no one wants a blown motor. Ex I want all the power I can get... Tuner gives it to me, motor blows.. All of a sudden I don't want all that power anynore. That line has to be implemented and this guys separates the good tuners from the bad!

I'm not saying at all this happen here, just struck a old memory is all....

MPT tuned
[email protected] & [email protected]

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Man that sucks to hear... details... Before you pull the trigger on the dealer estamit, I have herd of guys getting
Junk yard motors for like 3-4k any one know a good way to search for one? Also if it happened under normal driving you may be able to get ford to cover it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
There is something about winter fuel or cold weather that these trucks don't like. Last winter several motors went including mine then nothing all summer now winter is starting again and motors are starting to take a crap. I love this truck and the power of the ecoboost but geez that makes me nervous. I highly doubt I could get another motor covered under warranty. I'll be honest I'm scared to drive mine very hard.

Reactions: Dave's FX4

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Wonder if driving a cold motor hard can take blame?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man that sucks to hear... details... Before you pull the trigger on the dealer estamit, I have herd of guys getting
Junk yard motors for like 3-4k any one know a good way to search for one? Also if it happened under normal driving you may be able to get ford to cover it.
eBay has low milage complete motors pretty often out of crash trucks for $3-4k

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know in my lightning/cobra my boost would jump up bc of the cold. If you run winter fuel you have a better chance of detonation. Now I don't know if this the same for our trucks(only had mine a week now) but if you get a pretty aggressive tune in the summer it will be totally dif in the winter time.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I know in my lightning/cobra my boost would jump up bc of the cold. If you run winter fuel you have a better chance of detonation. Now I don't know if this the same for our trucks(only had mine a week now) but if you get a pretty aggressive tune in the summer it will be totally dif in the winter time.
Exactly this in these trucks too, I usually had a winter tune I ran in the winter or I would add a little more e85 to compensate for the piss poor quality fuel. In the winter you better be datalogging more frequently or have a gauge to watch your pids. And a good set of ears to boot.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.