F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i have the factory block heater is there something that needs done before use or is it good to go? Cause i had my truck plugged in last night and this morning when i started it it didnt seem to crank any easier then it does with out it plugged in. last time i checked i did have power to the outlet i was using.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I noticed the same with my truck 2012 eco. -38 c. Had it pluged 6 hours and still started the same as the night before when i didnt plug it in.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't know about that. But will be interesting to see how mine starts tonight. Been away for a week, and it's been parked outside at a hotel in -30 weather without being plugged in.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know about that. But will be interesting to see how mine starts tonight. Been away for a week, and it's been parked outside at a hotel in -30 weather without being plugged in.
i havent had mine not start but it onlyu sit for maybe 14 hours at the most at a time but anything under like 20 F is a slow hard crank

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ya. It is supposed to be about -31 when we get back. Current windchills back home are -40

·
Registered
98 Posts
I live in interior Alaska and I plug in at anything below zero. I have started the truck without being plugged in at -30, but it doesn't sound happy. The slow cranking speed sound is caused by the battery being cold. I have the block heater, battery pad heater, oil pan heater, and trans pan heater. When it's plugged in even at 40 below it will crank at almost normal speed due to the battery being warmed and not losing any amperage from being cold. They are pretty cheap if you want to put one in.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nanookjr,
Where did you get the transmission pan cooler? I've been thinking that might help a bit with mileage and be kinder to the tranny on these cold days.

I've noticed my instant mileage readout improves once the trans temp warms up a bit. It'd be nice to give the warmup a head start.

2013 SuperCrew XLT XTR Kodiak Brown Ecoboost 145"WB 302A package, Max Tow package

·
Registered
98 Posts
They sell them everyplace up here. They are made by Kats and come in different wattages and sizes. You just silicone them onto the pan.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well I got back to my truck at -38C with wind chill at -46. Th truck started without being plugged in for a week in similar temps. It didn't like it.. but it started. It was so cold that my windows frosted up on the inside and never fully cleared off.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Well I got back to my truck at -38C with wind chill at -46.

And the "greenies" keep harping on this "Global Warming". I would like to toss their naked butts outside and have them explain this whole "Global Warming" problem, while they are shivering their asses off.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
nanook might know what I'm talking about...but a few years back they had an ice statue of a certain prominent figure that is pushing a global warming agenda. The exhaust from the generator that kept it lit came out of his mouth...

frozen-gore-alaska.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
I do remember that! Well with it being almost 30 above today there might be something to it!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've wondered the same. Seems that unless it's very cold there is no difference between plugging and not plugging. As the temps get below zero the motor does seem to spin easier.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've wondered the same. Seems that unless it's very cold there is no difference between plugging and not plugging. As the temps get below zero the motor does seem to spin easier.
when i started my truck this morning i looked at my edge monitor it said the colant temp was 68 and it was 0 out side so i guess it make a little bit of a difference

1 - 14 of 14 Posts