F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a few years since I've posted here, but I figured this topic was worthy of discussion. About 6 months ago, I grenaded my stock transmission while out in the sand at the beach. I took full responsibility for my own abuse of the truck causing it, after 100,000 miles with no lack of mud, sand, rocks, heavy towing, pulling trees out of the ground, etc. and I figured that was a reasonable lifespan given its operating conditions, but now I wonder if it was more of a random failure, after hearing all of these people tell me about what the '80' in 6r80 stands for. (ive heard 800 ft-lb rated and others tell me 800 n/m rated).

Anyway, here are the details of the failure if anyone is interested in sipping coffee with me and pondering: (ahead of time, let me acknowledge I know these conditions are ridiculous)

- 2015 3.5 ecoboost, 3.55 gears, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, aired down to about 15 psi.

- Towing a 16' boat, total weight on trailer about 1,200 lbs.

- Traveling down a rutted beach, mostly dry and powdery.

- In 4hi (many say this was my mistake, but the truck had plenty of power so I thought it was fine)

It went like this. We're traveling along, no issues, no wheel spin, manually kept in 2nd gear, mid rpms, and make it about 5 miles with no issues that day. We made it to some softer stuff and I hear some more revs, and think to myself: 'finally, a bit of wheel spin, awesome". I stick my head out the window and notice no wheel spin. And just that fast, BANG. Lets call it involuntary neutral. We spent a few hours hoping it was some drivetrain fuse or something, given how there was no grinding sounds or anything, just a nice clean release, but eventually we had to tow it out.

dropped it off at the Ford dealer, given I didnt have many options where I was. They were great, got to work immediately. They agreed it had let go, the transmission could not build oil pressure, and when the oil was drained it was just full of chunks and sparkly pizzaz.

I had the option of attempting to rebuild, although friends of mine advised against it, citing that if certain parts of the planetary's let go, it would wreck the case and all be a waste of time. The only way for me to use the trans for a core on a new one was to ship it off the way it was, so I've stared into space at night since then wishing I got to see the inside of that thing before it left.

Truck is great now, new trans, 100,000 mile ford warranty, I'm happy, but I still wonder what happened that day.....

Long rant over, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
That one sounds like nothing more than luck of the draw. Like you mentioned, these trannys have a pretty good reputation for not "blowing up".

Although they do have a few less-than-perfect behavioral issues. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Agreed. Does not even sound like it was under all that much stress when it did crap the bed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
On a semi related note, I had a 99 Sonoma with the 2.2l. This has the same 4L60 trans that was found in 1500, Tahoe, suburban. It blew at 75k. The 2.2 is a complete dog compared to the vortec 350... 115hp/135lbft tq vs 255hp/330lbft tq. There is no way that engine had enough gusto to blow it up. It felt like it could barely spin that transmission....but it did.
I'd agree, luck of the draw.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys, the jury has spoken! I'm innocent!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts