F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
From what I've gathered, the Fox spring rate and damping is less off road worthy than the Kings. On the street, I can dial them back to pretty soft, for what they are. Many might still consider them too firm for their liking. Especially if they are used to Bilstein 5100's.
Its SO subjective. Specifically for 2015+, I'm certain I've read every F150 King coils review here and the other forum at this point, in addition to reaching out to handfuls of people over PM on forums and instagram. End result is I've only found 2 actual people who have been disappointed in them. One guy said too firm for his liking but dealt with it. Another guy had what seemed to be a defective product, bad sales experience and returned them. Everyone else responded they are "plush" on the street (oh the golden-word) and handle awesome off road. I also like that re-valving kits are plentiful and they are right around the corner from me ;)

That said, the Foxs are really awesome, particularly because they're the only coil with dual compression adjusters. But I really do want a bit more lift at 2.5-2.6", so they are out.

Just an encouragement to spend more (ignore this otherwise), but what about the rear springs? I'm happy as can be with my Icon setup but have been thinking that the back while controlled is too stiff in initial spring rate. Been noticing the back more now than ever and have a set of Icon rear Raptor springs on the way, a bit lighter in rate at the stock +1 inch ride height, the package does include an extra leaf for custom adjusting rates. Looked hard at Deaver but the adjust-ability and price drove me to Icon. Will post after the installation. KM
I've def thought about it, but I need to see how this all feels first. When camping, my trucks see most of the trail time loaded, but on weekends I sometimes just go out for the day with no load. Therefore, I want to feel it out before softening the rear spring. I may end up needing it as my camping gear keeps seeing to grow. :)

·
Premium Member
7,653 Posts
"Subjective" is absolutely the best word for suspension opinions. No doubt.

Although it's not often, there are some that report that the Bilsteins are too firm for their liking. I often drive a Bilstein 2018 back to back with a Fox 2.5 DSC. And even with the truck empty and dialed back all the way, the Fox truck is far firmer than the Bilstein truck.

But the Bilstein truck has SO much more composure than the oem truck. I personally think the empty Bilstein (5100) Aluminum F150 should have come like that from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
436 Posts
"I've def thought about it, but I need to see how this all feels first. When camping, my trucks see most of the trail time loaded, but on weekends I sometimes just go out for the day with no load. Therefore, I want to feel it out before softening the rear spring. I may end up needing it as my camping gear keeps seeing to grow."

Even though or 2 trucks are similar in intended use, this proves how apples to oranges comparrisons can be. 69 years old and a Wilderness canoe/backpacking camper. And my load seems to get lighter. Even with a rackon and a canoe, the Decked drawers full of packs and gear for 2 weeks, I doubt I have 500 pounds loaded.

Fall Lake near Ely MN, a few days befor 11 days of solo paddling along the US/Canadian border. KM

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Even though or 2 trucks are similar in intended use, this proves how apples to oranges comparrisons can be. 69 years old and a Wilderness canoe/backpacking camper. And my load seems to get lighter. Even with a rackon and a canoe, the Decked drawers full of packs and gear for 2 weeks, I doubt I have 500 pounds loaded.
Fall Lake near Ely MN, a few days befor 11 days of solo paddling along the US/Canadian border. KM
The ebb and flow of life! Im sure we are still under 500lb of cargo but who knows where life will take us.

Im about half your age and we seem to keep thinking of new "needs" each time we head out camping. Just picked up a perculator (no more instant crap), some cast iron pans, new air mattress, new camp chair.

Particularly here in Socal forests, wood fires are becoming a rarity most of the year, so we use a propane portable fire pit which requires a standard size tank. And to match it, I'm now eyeing the camp chef explorer freestanding 2 burner stove.

Kelso Dunes, Mojave National Preserve
Screenshot_20201016-063047_Instagram.jpg

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
One word of advice. If you cant fit a 35” tire at stock height then you cant really fit them with a lift either. Sure they may fit going down a flat road with the lift, but when you stuff the tire offroad you are still gunna have issues with clearance. Since you are actually wheeling your truck, this could be an issue.

I guess what i am saying is, dont choose the lift to fit a tire, cause thats backwards. Make the tire fit(trim, hammer, alignment) then get the lift you want.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The ebb and flow of life! Im sure we are still under 500lb of cargo but who knows where life will take us.

Im about half your age and we seem to keep thinking of new "needs" each time we head out camping. Just picked up a perculator (no more instant crap), some cast iron pans, new air mattress, new camp chair.

Particularly here in Socal forests, wood fires are becoming a rarity most of the year, so we use a propane portable fire pit which requires a standard size tank. And to match it, I'm now eyeing the camp chef explorer freestanding 2 burner stove.

Kelso Dunes, Mojave National Preserve View attachment 168721

I gotta get me ne of those bed tents!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I gotta get me ne of those bed tents!
Just the opposite for me. I like my tent and camp setup, then go play. Often this includes the truck so ground hugging is my method.

From hiding in a bush,

to a big ass tent with all the furniture. I'm also not restricted in size. But that's my way. KM

·
Registered
436 Posts
Back to UCA's just got back from allignment, after instalation of the SPC arms.

Alignment tech, Steve told me he was quite impresed with the quality, beef, and adjustments. Hit specs dead on even with a mild lift and 0 offset wheels. Next week the rear springs go in. KM

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Back to UCA's just got back from allignment, after instalation of the SPC arms. View attachment 168829
View attachment 168830
Alignment tech, Steve told me he was quite impresed with the quality, beef, and adjustments. Hit specs dead on even with a mild lift and 0 offset wheels. Next week the rear springs go in. KM
Spc’s have become really popular with the toyota crowd. It sounds like they maybe had some growing pains early on, but are really solid now.

The adjustable caster is a big deal cause it lets you shift the lower control arm forward and then correct the caster. This gives more clearance for larger tire in the rear of the wheel well.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts