F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i installed a manual boost gauge from TurboSmart in the vent. For the vacuum source i use the nipple on the manifold right behind the throttle body so its a direct source, no restrictions or pcv valves to mess with things. Took it for a drive and it has the flutter a little bit and seems to have a lot of vacuum vs the readings on my x4 tuner. The gauge works fine and it reads according to the BOV (i have windows down and hear the bov and watch gauge and boost comes in/out with the bov). Is it normal for boost to spile to 15lbs then back to 12lbs under wot and vacuum at idle show 16-20 vs the x4 reads 6-8. kinda lost here with so many variables.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes -16 ish vacuum at idle, and boost can fluctuate depending on tune and such

·
Registered
475 Posts
Mine normally shows around 16-17 vacuum at idle, with stock tune you will spike the boost and then it will usually drop a bit. With my custom tune it goes up to 19.0, with only a drop to about 18.0-18.5.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
So i installed a manual boost gauge from TurboSmart in the vent. For the vacuum source i use the nipple on the manifold right behind the throttle body so its a direct source, no restrictions or pcv valves to mess with things. Took it for a drive and it has the flutter a little bit and seems to have a lot of vacuum vs the readings on my x4 tuner. The gauge works fine and it reads according to the BOV (i have windows down and hear the bov and watch gauge and boost comes in/out with the bov). Is it normal for boost to spile to 15lbs then back to 12lbs under wot and vacuum at idle show 16-20 vs the x4 reads 6-8. kinda lost here with so many variables.
Are you using the PID on the X4 that reads in the same place as your boost gauge?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
without seeing it (a video would help), it sounds normal...is your truck stock? I would assume that it is based on the figures you listed.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
the variation in readings for vac is normal. its dependent on its vac source and location. boost spikes shouldnt happen, but i am still new to the ecoboost.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help guys, i got it figured out. Turns out the TurboSmart gauge i got came with a T-fitting that has a tiny brass insert that reduces the vacuum line to like a .00001, almost like a jet inside the t-fitting. Well since i didnt T into any vacuum line i didnt use it. Well turns out the gauge needs that in-line. So i modded it so i was able to use it and now the gauge is butter smooth.

As far as the reading, its right on. The SCT reads psi of vacuum and the gauge reads it in inHg, which is exactly double, so the sct will read 10psi and my gauge reads 20inHg so its dialed in.

Reactions: Sherman
1 - 8 of 8 Posts