F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a bunch of older posts about some EBs surging during acceleration & the issue being condensation or some other crap building up in intercooler.

It feels like boost is bouncing up and down, power is not down overall (has lots). I don't have a boost gauge option as it only has the four fixed gauges (4.2" screen). This surging is noticeable at mid to high throttle input & continues while accelerating at all rpms.

Is there an easy spot where I could plumb in a temporary mechanical boost gauge to see if the boost is actually fluctuating (don't fancy cutting one in anywhere permanently).

I got this brand new this year & it only has 2500 kms, has been like this from new. I know if I go to the dealer they will say it is 'normal'.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
750 Posts
I have read a bunch of older posts about some EBs surging during acceleration & the issue being condensation or some other crap building up in intercooler.

It feels like boost is bouncing up and down, power is not down overall (has lots). I don't have a boost gauge option as it only has the four fixed gauges (4.2" screen). This surging is noticeable at mid to high throttle input & continues while accelerating at all rpms.

Is there an easy spot where I could plumb in a temporary mechanical boost gauge to see if the boost is actually fluctuating (don't fancy cutting one in anywhere permanently).

I got this brand new this year & it only has 2500 kms, has been like this from new. I know if I go to the dealer they will say it is 'normal'.

We’ll, it’s not “normal”. Do you have access to a tuner? Or you can get some obd2 readers and watch stuff on your phone. You said it has lots of power… I’d check if somewhere you have a small boost leak or something.
Does it make any odd particular sounds?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have got obd Bluetooth device, haven't tried on this truck yet. Hadn't thought of that, thank you.

No weird noises, don't hear anything on boost or lifting off like a dump valve type noise etc.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Since it is a new truck. I want to say fuel quality may be playing a role. It will pull timing if fuel is subpar. Giving off that “surging”.

What octane are you currently running?

Keep in mind the truck will also limit power in hot weather to protect itself.

·
Moderstrator
3,346 Posts
Gotta wonder about the transmissions adaptive learning nature too. Lots of reports about transmissions that resolve a surge issue by resetting the trans and starting over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've only run regular fuel so far, I've got a bottle of octane booster I keep in the box in case I have to tow etc.

Will use that as I just filled up.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
750 Posts
I've only run regular fuel so far, I've got a bottle of octane booster I keep in the box in case I have to tow etc.

Will use that as I just filled up.

I run 91 with 6 ounces of Boostane added. I’m tuned of course, but if your fuel is really bad quality it could cause the truck to not let you lay down all the power, hence the surging

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
I would highly recommend getting that OBDII device setup and (if it will) get some "live" readings.

It is probable that the fuel is the issue as was stated, it is not uncommon where I live to have fuel that is drastically subpar listed as a specific octane being nowhere near the same and thus the engine struggles some.

You referenced KM's so I assume you are in Canada, do you have different fuel options in your area?

I would check the basics. Being it is a "new" truck, disregard the plugs (assuming they are good to go) and start checking vacuum lines and associated connections, paying close attention to the wastegates and controller. I would also check and make sure (simple and asinine I know) to check the air filter and intake tubing to make sure it is both clean and clear of debris.

If it is in fact a new ride, taking it to the dealer is not off the table.

Just remember, the customer is always right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts