F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loving my 2018 F-150 XL 2.7 ecoboost. However it squats a little when fully loaded for trip. Camper is about 4klbs. dry and has load leveling hitch and golf cart is about 1klbs. I'm probably getting close to the payload with passengers. Any recommendations for booster springs that won't take away from its smooth ride when empty? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
You don't think that golf gart is the culprit? :)

Your "tongue weight" on that little trailer isn't the burden. Especially with WDH.

Yaw gonna have fun though. Nice camping setup

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
I use the SumoSprings and have been happy with them so far. I would definitely say it is the golf cart causing your issues. Did you setup your WDH with the golf cart in the back and is this your normal camping setup?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I'm sure the golf cart is the main culprit. I've only changed the ball height to get the camper level due to the squat from the cart weight. I had this same setup with an 04 F150 for lariat, 5.4L and Goodyear Wrangled LT tires without any squat. But the 04 had a few hundred lbs. more payload limit. Thanks for the input btw!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I put in the Firestone air bags to counter the squat. No matter how much I adjusted the WDH, I still had about 1 to 1 1/2 of squat with my setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked out Firestone airbags and other brands. A lot to choose from and price range. I like the airbag option as seemingly being able to add support when needed but retain the smooth empty ride. Anyone familiar with Air/Lift brand?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Perhaps you need to consider heavier spring bars. They should be sized to reflect the trailer tongue weight PLUS the weight in the bed of the truck that is behind the rear axle. So part of the weight of the golf cart should be factored into the capacity of the spring bars.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Checked out Firestone airbags and other brands. A lot to choose from and price range. I like the airbag option as seemingly being able to add support when needed but retain the smooth empty ride. Anyone familiar with Air/Lift brand?
Yes. If you go with the Airlift brand, get the 2000 lb Ridecontrol airbags, don't get the 5000's. The 5000's are overkill and I have heard a lot of people say they ride rough even empty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a WDH wih my camper. Rode alright, just a little sag Camper 5400 lbs. Added the 2000 lb Firestone air bags, Perfect. No sag. no sway, pulls like a dream. Plus, keeping a 20-30 psi in the bags all the time gave a smoother ride without the camper. Air bags are easy to install, no drilling, no fuss. It's the way to go

·
Administrator
9,508 Posts
I have a 2.7 with a 1526 lb payload rating (y'all forgive me I've been reporting that as 1560, I was mistaken)

I have recently hooked up to my camper which came out to 840 lbs tongue weight, and put me at 6140 out of 6500 total gvwr. Prior to hooking up the spring bars the truck squatted 2.5". This is with the addition of an add a leaf.

I cannot comment on how much it squatted with that load prior to the AAL because I didn't have the camper, so just take that for what it's worth.

I just know that before the AAL, when I had a 2.5 level but all stock rear, with any trailer hooked up the squat looked awful.

I really like the add a leaf. It was cheap, easy to install, no fooling with dialing it in, and my unloaded ride is still fine.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
You've been claiming 34lbs of bogus cargo capacity all this time?

Your credibility has completely gone out the window.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just to add to your things to think about I have the Timbren SES and I absolutely love them. They are great because you install them and you move on with your life. They dont need air, they just need to replace the bump stops.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We had AirLift 5000 in our Ford Excursion. 25 psi when towing our 34' Keystone cougar and 5ish psi when empty. The ride quality didn't suffer at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
F150RN
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing