F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

81 - 100 of 283 Posts

·
Vendor
7,133 Posts
As much as I would love to do that, there are a few reasons I wont or cant. Can't really discuss all of them though.

My own personal reason is this, I'm not sure how much more power this motor will take. My piggy bank is small right now, since we are building a house. Free parts are great and all, but no one is sending me back up motors lol. As my DD and having limited funds, I really cant push her much more.

I will see how things do when the air cools down, on the same tune and dyno, just to see if she makes any more steam. Then I'll back her down again.
Brett,

I’d say you pretty darn close if not there where it is a matter of when not if. I’d taper the boost as much as possible the higher you bring the hp and tq . It’s cool because I always have motors spare laying around for ya

·
Vendor
7,133 Posts
I'm over here ready to build my engine and buy the pump and injectors if I can just see ONE person make it work, otherwise piggyback is my only choice.
What do you want to see. Give me the parts list, and any pertinent info to see how close I can recreate your situation and data you want. Our cam lobe would 95% take care of any concerns on the hpfp cam lobe

·
Registered
549 Posts
What do you want to see. Give me the parts list, and any pertinent info to see how close I can recreate your situation and data you want. Our cam lobe would 95% take care of any concerns on the hpfp cam lobe
Stock engine with a good intercooler and those turbos on E85. :)
I just plan on rods/pistons for my build.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for responding to my question regarding strategies for spark management. Outstanding write up!

Besides writing tunes for my own projects I’ve only ever done it for friends where I could specify this is a Top-Tier-premium-unleaded-only tune. Its enlightening to hear the perspective of a professional who must balance improving performance enough to satisfy the customer, while showing restraint due to the number of variables that are out of your hands once the vehicle leaves the rollers.

Question:
On your stock turbo datalog screenshots, what’s causing that dip in timing around 5,000rpm’s? I’m battling that on my personal stock turbo setup. Its most pronounced on your BoostKing Custom Tune image. Is that a combination of exhaust backpressure from spinning the turbo's off the compressor map and valve overlap causing exhaust gas reversion?

Next question:
What wastegate duty cycle numbers were you seeing on your custom tunes with the OEM turbo’s compared to the current OEM+ setup?

I guess the final dilemma is what’s a more appropriate username:

Professor BoostKing
Or

BoostKing, PhD

Seriously though, thank you for adding to the knowledge base of this community!

·
Administrator
9,714 Posts
Thanks for responding to my question regarding strategies for spark management. Outstanding write up!

Besides writing tunes for my own projects I’ve only ever done it for friends where I could specify this is a Top-Tier-premium-unleaded-only tune. Its enlightening to hear the perspective of a professional who must balance improving performance enough to satisfy the customer, while showing restraint due to the number of variables that are out of your hands once the vehicle leaves the rollers.

Question:
On your stock turbo datalog screenshots, what’s causing that dip in timing around 5,000rpm’s? I’m battling that on my personal stock turbo setup. Its most pronounced on your BoostKing Custom Tune image. Is that a combination of exhaust backpressure from spinning the turbo's off the compressor map and valve overlap causing exhaust gas reversion?

Next question:
What wastegate duty cycle numbers were you seeing on your custom tunes with the OEM turbo’s compared to the current OEM+ setup?

I guess the final dilemma is what’s a more appropriate username:

Professor BoostKing
Or

BoostKing, PhD

Seriously though, thank you for adding to the knowledge base of this community!
I can only answer the last part.

Boostking, Mr. Prez

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
As much as I would love to do that, there are a few reasons I wont or cant. Can't really discuss all of them though.

My own personal reason is this, I'm not sure how much more power this motor will take. My piggy bank is small right now, since we are building a house. Free parts are great and all, but no one is sending me back up motors lol. As my DD and having limited funds, I really cant push her much more.

I will see how things do when the air cools down, on the same tune and dyno, just to see if she makes any more steam. Then I'll back her down again.
We can always leverage a gofundme page if needed for engine replacement, lol.

You know you can play remotely with my truck whenever you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Stock bottom and top, with small fuel upgrade, all bolt ons and the new gen2 bolt on FR turbos that are being released soon :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
We can always leverage a gofundme page if needed for engine replacement, lol.

You know you can play remotely with my truck whenever you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the name of science I would actually support this for someone to test ha. Hell for that matter I would even test my own for that!

·
Vendor
7,133 Posts
We will be testing different turbo kits and what not. Unfortunately the gen2 need a bigger fuel upgrade on the DI side. The stock DI is smaller than gen1. And upgrading to say an ID 1000 port injector is a no no. Lots of supporting data there.

Full race will be releasing the precision turbos if that’s what your referring to? I’m more a Garrett GSeries guy or efr guy for the raptors. The stock frame can only flow so much air and with a 7-8000 lb truck on 37’s or 40’s tribulation manifolds and gseries or efr is the way to go with full fuel system upgrade. Perhaps a new one we have about to hit the dyno. (Well not me, but the team of us let’s call it)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just curious to see what a few tuners will do with just the simple bolt on turbos coming yes. It would be difficult for us in the emissions lands to strap on some EFRs and get away with it. I remember you telling me about the fueling needs for the gen2 as well. Eager to see your results from different tests.

We will be testing different turbo kits and what not. Unfortunately the gen2 need a bigger fuel upgrade on the DI side. The stock DI is smaller than gen1. And upgrading to say an ID 1000 port injector is a no no. Lots of supporting data there.

Full race will be releasing the precision turbos if that’s what your referring to? I’m more a Garrett GSeries guy or efr guy for the raptors. The stock frame can only flow so much air and with a 7-8000 lb truck on 37’s or 40’s tribulation manifolds and gseries or efr is the way to go with full fuel system upgrade. Perhaps a new one we have about to hit the dyno. (Well not me, but the team of us let’s call it)

·
Vendor
7,133 Posts
Just curious to see what a few tuners will do with just the simple bolt on turbos coming yes. It would be difficult for us in the emissions lands to strap on some EFRs and get away with it. I remember you telling me about the fueling needs for the gen2 as well. Eager to see your results from different tests.
For emissions critical states we Vband the cats so they can be swapped in and out with the straight pipe in 3 min with 4 clamps. I’m a huge nerd, but it works.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thats a damn great idea really. I don't mine the catted down pipes, its just the "visual inspection" we have to do here. They pop the hood and you'll fail for something as simple as a damn air box change! I would love to see the eyeball opening look on the guys face when he sees 2 big ass EFR turbos sticking up ha

For emissions critical states we Vband the cats so they can be swapped in and out with the straight pipe in 3 min with 4 clamps. I’m a huge nerd, but it works.

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
These kinds of turbo swaps are not CARB legal.

Your best bet is a oem looking turbo.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Sorry for the long wait on replies. This one will be short too. Very busy lately..

I have not posted this anywhere else. Why do you ask?

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
These kinds of turbo swaps are not CARB legal.

Your best bet is a oem looking turbo.
What leads you to this statement TX? Just swapping turbos should not have to have any kind of CARB approval if the original engine is not swapped out.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Pure curiosity, a ton of good info there.
Agreed, I am still only part way through but I have every intention to continue reading.

Maybe the @admin will get rid of some of those EMPTY stickies above that contain no or very little info in them and make THIS post a Stickie.

This post would also be one of the most useful (along with a stickie on how to tune the F150 with SCT Advantage III software in the future).

81 - 100 of 283 Posts