F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. Been lurking here for about a year now, and I just wanted to share something that I ran into while installing a Borla catback exhaust system.

I have a 2013 FX4 Eco with the Super Crew cab and the standard (6.5') bed. The window sticker for my truck lists a 157" wheelbase, as does all of the technical info that I researched online. I bought the Borla S-Type catback with the 12" extension pipe for the longer wheelbase. When I installed it, it ended up being 3 inches short. After rereading the install instructions two more times and watching a couple of install videos on YouTube, I ended up getting a 3 inch adapter from a parts store to finish the install.

I called Borla to check if they had possibly sent me the wrong extension pipe. And, if not, to ask if they had heard of this problem from any other customers, and if they had a fix for it. The tech I spoke to said that they had heard of this from a few people. According to him, some F150s actually have a 160" wheelbase instead of 157". However, he said that they don't offer a fix for it. Said my only option is to keep the adapter in, or have a local exhaust shop fabricate an extension pipe to make up the difference in length. Personally, I think that's a bullshit answer from Borla. You pay around $1K for a system that may or may not fit, they know it might not fit, and are essentially telling you to go pound sand if it doesn't. Would it be that hard for them to offer a 15" extension pipe?

Anyway, I just wanted to ask if anyone had heard about the differences in wheelbase size on some trucks. And also, as a "heads up" to anyone who might be thinking of adding a Borla catback system to their truck.

·
1,926 Posts
I think I’d be out there with a tape measure checking the actual wheel base. I’ll go out on a limb here and I’ve been wrong before but this sounds like a story. I’ve never heard anyone even with the highest capacity tow/payload packages make the claim of a 160” wheelbase.

·
Premium Member
5,899 Posts
I think I’d be out there with a tape measure checking the actual wheel base. I’ll go out on a limb here and I’ve been wrong before but this sounds like a story. I’ve never heard anyone even with the highest capacity tow/payload packages make the claim of a 160” wheelbase.
You don't think any of those F150's towing those 30+ foot RV's have streeeeetched a little?

I bet Meaz's truck is at least a little bit longer than mine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Could you take a pic of your truck, side view please.

3" is such a weird distance for it to be off. This sounds like they sent you the wrong year or somebody goofed.
The fact is, this vehicle is the best selling vehicle in the US, a major company claims their is a truck that is an outlier and no fix is offered on their pricey product?...no...he's bs-ing.

·
1,926 Posts
I think they have sent you a 5.5 ft. bed mid-pipe. They surely make a longer mid-pipe (regardless of what it’s application might be) that you could trim to fit. I’d be all over them to get me something of this nature. That brings one more question to my mind. Is the adapter that you procured a stainless piece? Many of the part store type adapters (particularly Walker’s product) are aluminized steel. If that is the case that piece won’t hold up as well and certainly won’t look as nice as the Borla stainless pipes. At the price you paid you deserve a complete working product.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
$1k cat back?? Oh my... I hope it gives you a happy feeling in the end! ;)

Mitch

·
Registered
282 Posts
Borla does show a 163 inch wheelbase adapter "(PN 60564) ADAPTOR 163” wheelbase", install .pdf
Working the Borla web-sight is not easy. KM

·
1,926 Posts
2011 - 2014 SuperCab with an 8’ bed. I don’t think that carried into a 2017 model year. Heck tell you want that mid-pipe, cut it down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts