F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trailer has electric brakes but no brake away. My truck keeps saying trailer not connected , do i have to have a brake away for my brakes to work . And yes i put the fuse in and the relay. Please help i leave for Colorado in 4 days.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
A break away switch should have no impact on the truck recognizing your trailer. Does your trailer have a battery? If so make sure that is charged up and in good shape. Next thing to check is the 7 pin plug and the 7 pin outlet to make sure they are clean and corrosion free. Beyond that is ouside my knowledge base. What type of trailer is this? TT, Horse, Utility, etc? You really should have a break away switch installed for safety sake.

Let us know what you find out,

SPPD

·
Registered
169 Posts
Check with your D.O.T. or place that does your inspections. I know that a breakaway switch and charged 12v battery are required to pass inspection in PA. I guess it is possible that not having that circuit in line or working could render the brakes inoperable and show the circuit as open but as SPPD, I'm not that familiar with the wiring. Perhaps google your make and model of trailer to see if you can find wiring schematics. I can probably decipher them if you do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Clean all the connections and check to see that the trailer is grounded. My toy hauler does the same thing. The ford ITBC wants to see everything perfect or it will show Trailer Disconnected and the brakes won't work. I had to go to Radio Shack and buy contact cleaner called DeoxIT. As soon as I cleaned the connections on both truck and trailer and sprayed the DeoxIT a few times mine finally started working. I will say though, that yesterday my trailer kept showing disconnected/connected repeatedly. I hope you figure it out. I had to cancel my camping trip because it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brakes are working now. Went ahead and put a breakaway on and rewired the black wire going to the brakes. Colorado here i come.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Boltsfanimo does your trailer have a breakaway
Yes, mine's an RV, Toy Hauler. It has a Breakaway. I'm totally fed up with the Ford break controller. I never know when it's gonna work and when its not. Hope yours keeps on truckin' Have fun in CO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Boltsfanimo
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing