F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don’t start a lot of threads but I thought I’d make an exception in this case. My 2016 Platinum without question has the dustiest brakes of any vehicle I’ve ever owned and that list isn’t short. These brakes pitch dust in magnitudes that would make a Euro Car proud, they’re just nasty. I pull the wheels, clean them well, including the barrels and then coat them. Let them cure and after 20 miles the front wheels are noticeably dusty.

I’ve pulled the calipers and checked the pads and checked the calipers. They’re perfect and should be as the truck only has 6000 miles on it.

Anyway, I’ve found a price that is respectable at $686 after core exchange for Z36 kit with pads, slotted vented rotors, calipers, caliper brackets and hardware. I don’t dig the red calipers but it is what is. I do like the idea of the powder coating. Think I’ll do these.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I agree, a ton of brake dust.

I am upgrading my brakes soon. I have the parts with me, just not installed. Write up coming soon. Hoepfully less brake dust.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The z36's aren't exactly stellar in terms of brake dust. My front Z36's are dustier than the stock pads I replaced.

You'll want a ceramic pad if you want less dust.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Z36’s are a carbon fiber/ceramic formulation and less dusty than a lot of pads out there. I have ran complete sets of Z36’s on several different vehicles. Admittedly they aren’t the cleanest pads (Z23’s are a bit cleaner). I can live with the Z36’s from a performance/value/dusting proposition. The PowerStop’s are significantly cleaner than the OE pads currently on the front of this truck. I can’t really put into words how dirty these OE pads are. Don’t get me wrong, they stop just as you would expect but I’ve never run pads that dust like this particular set of OE pads.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Man, at only 6,000 miles, not sure why you'd want to replace anything except the pads and rotors. My 2018 had about 12,000 miles on it when I did the complete Z36 conversion. The brake dust does not seem excessive on mine.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've got the powerstops 36 max tow rotors and pads. So far, so good after about a year. No brake dust and no rust on the rotors. I am still running the OEM calipers. I tow a #5000 TT during the summer, and these are a lot better the OEM brakes by far.

Mitch

·
Registered
561 Posts
IMO, those calipers are nothing special and I wouldn't worry about swapping them. If I was going to those lengths, I'd be calling Wilwood and spending real money.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I've got the powerstops 36 max tow rotors and pads. So far, so good after about a year. No brake dust and no rust on the rotors. I am still running the OEM calipers. I tow a #5000 TT during the summer, and these are a lot better the OEM brakes by far.

Mitch

That's the rout I'll be taking as I have 65k on my brakes with a slight vibration when standing on the pedal....not bad but-soon.
IMO....calipers could use a little red paint ehh?-lol
Carry on Boost Brother....loooookin goooood.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ha, ha Meaz.. Red painted OEM calipers... Like putting lipstick on a pig.. :) If anything, paint them black... But, mine aren't even rusty, so just rolling with it! I started getting the 'brake shake' so that's when I went with the powerstops. $450 or something like that on Amazon for the whole deal A couple of easy hours in the 'man cave' to install and all good!

Mitch

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I'm like Mitch, after nearly two years, I have virtually no dust between washing my truck. Definitely far less than a lot of other vehicles I've owned and less the OEM Brakes.

And I don't wash my truck constantly either. This time of the year, I go about a month between washings - with no noticeable dust (over the typical road dirt).

PS: Gearhead, is their a reason you are changing the calipers? Mine were fine, so I just did the pads and rotors. I was going to paint my OEM calipers black, be decided to leave them "as is".

The Z36 rotors & pads solved my "pulsation" problem that had just started. Apparently a common problem with the OEM brakes. I went over 3 years (and 30,000 miles) before my stock rotors started to pulsate.

·
Administrator
9,720 Posts
I'm at 58k now and also beginning to get some shimmy when I have to WHOA in a hurry. I'm beginning the search for whatever my replacement will be. With things like this I like to upgrade when it's time to replace.
That's the rout I'll be taking as I have 65k on my brakes with a slight vibration when standing on the pedal....not bad but-soon.
IMO....calipers could use a little red paint ehh?-lol
Carry on Boost Brother....loooookin goooood.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
You will be happy with the Z36 Pads & Rotors. As mentioned there are Z23 and Z16 - depending on the type of driving. I did a "poll" in one of the posts and most preferred the Z36s over other Brakes (EBC, Wildwoods, OEM and other Powerstops).

I do know someone who went with EBCs (greens I think) and he's very happy. He prefers them over Powerstops (which he had on other vehicles). The EBCs are definitely more money than Powerstops. But he's happy with his EBCs just as I am with my Powerstops.

Maybe I'll see if he's interested in a 60-0 comparison.

·
Administrator
9,720 Posts
Sounds good to me. Just normal driving. A lot of rural two lane roads, some towing but not frequently, a wot pull here and there for logging. Even though I only tow occasionally, when I DO tow I want it to do very well. Eventually we'll own a TT, just not sure how far in the future that is yet. It'll be in the neighborhood of 7000 lbs loaded up.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Not that the average owner would consider logical. That said, I do like powder coating. ;)
I did research and called numerous shops and two shops directly told me they would not powder coat calpiers for liability reasons. You have to completely dissemble the brake to do so and tape lots of it off so the coating ideally only gets on the top so there ends up being no fitment issue bc the extra thcikenss in places it shouldn't be. If any coating got into the pistons, it could cause issues. I have no idea where to source new rubber seals for the pistons for reassembly either......so I am just going to paint mine with ceramic paint. More information coming as this process begins.

·
Registered
2 Posts
F3FRDRD-370x370fit-width.jpg
I did research and called numerous shops and two shops directly told me they would not powder coat calpiers for liability reasons. You have to completely dissemble the brake to do so and tape lots of it off so the coating ideally only gets on the top so there ends up being no fitment issue bc the extra thcikenss in places it shouldn't be. If any coating got into the pistons, it could cause issues. I have no idea where to source new rubber seals for the pistons for reassembly either......so I am just going to paint mine with ceramic paint. More information coming as this process begins.
..lol my 1st post..
Have you looked at Caliper Covers?? By MGP.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve had some big dollar brakes on previous vehicles that had powder coated calipers and I’ve taken the time and meticulously stripped and painted OE calipers on other vehicles. Even using quality hi-temp paint it simply doesn’t hold up long term the way powder coating does.

I’ve got a local shop that will powder coat calipers and rebuild kits aren’t hard to get. This said, stripping the calipers, waiting for the shop to complete the powder coating process while the truck is sitting and then rebuilding and reinstalling is the reason I’d consider the PowerStop product. The cost ends up about the same but the time element is worth consideration for me. I do wish that PowerStop gave you the option of a black finish.

I too wouldn’t consider the caliper covers. No offense intended but they look a bit Ricky Racer to me.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts