F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone replace their brake pads on a relative new model F150? If so what brand and model did you replace with? Ford seems to specify brake pads that expel a considerable amount of brake dust compared to other manufacturer like applications.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought Hawk Performance Ceramics for the front and Posi-Quiet Ceramics for the rear (Hawk doesn't make rear ceramics yet) and love them. Found them on eBay

·
Registered
868 Posts
yes ford uses a semi metalic brake pad that produces alot of dirt on the wheels
you wont be disappointed going with a good ceramic pad set
no dirt
no squeeks or squeeling
no hot brakes smell after stopping a heavy load because ceramic doesnt absorb the heat

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a caliper go on the front of my 2011 and ended up replacing all rotors, pads and front calipers with Napa ultra premium parts. Lifetime warranty on parts and labour.....supposedly. They were good for first 20 to 30k then they fell away. Dirty bitchin pads! Truck had original "super duty" pads they call them on originally and never had dirty brake dust covered wheels.

And I use the brakes a lot pulling upwards of 12000lbs. Ya ya. I know. Too much weight for truck. Drive her like you stole her!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
EBC pads and rotors! Best drop in brake upgrade IMO.

Stainless lines don't hurt either.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Posi Quiet ceramics are my aftermarket pads of choice on all my vehicles. I have had great success with them, and they are really inexpensive for a quality product.

SPPD

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
yes ford uses a semi metalic brake pad that produces alot of dirt on the wheels
you wont be disappointed going with a good ceramic pad set
no dirt
no squeeks or squeeling
no hot brakes smell after stopping a heavy load because ceramic doesnt absorb the heat
If you are looking for an OEM rather than performance pad I would recommend either Wagner Thermo Quiet or Wearever Platinum pad sets for your truck. I've had excellent luck with the Wagners BUT, you MUST either machine or replace the rotors with ceramics or they'll never bed in properly. That will cause squeaking and a reduction in stopping power. We do sell em at Advance and my customers are always happy with em.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I put the EBC slotted rotors and napa or carquest pads (cant remeber) on my 08 f150 and it made a huge difference. I will do the same for this truck when it needs em.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Take it from an old brake and front end guy: ceramic pads are the bomb! BUT, they do need a greater number of easy driving to break them in properly. And the rotors should be turned prior to installation. The added cost and effort will be well worth (your life/safety) it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are looking for an OEM rather than performance pad I would recommend either Wagner Thermo Quiet or Wearver Platinum pad sets for your truck. I've had excellent luck with the Wagners BUT, you MUST either machine or replace the rotors with ceramics or they'll never bed in properly. That will cause squeaking and a reduction in stopping power. We do sell em at Advance and my customers are always happy with em.
I had put the Wagner Thermo Quiet's on our '07 Yukon and had zero complaints or any perceptible loss in braking performance. I did turn the rotors because of the condition, gooves and slight surface cracks. I didn't do it on the aspect of part of the recommended process when going to a ceramic based pad material, thanks for the tip, as now I'm in the know. I will seriously consider these pads again when looking to replace the fronts on the F150.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have about 10,000 miles on the Beast now. The front brakes are leaving a lot of dust on my rims, the rear are leaving none, I know the front brakes do more work but I would expect some dust on the back. Most of my driving is flat, not hills so anybody have any ideas ? . Are the front and rear brake pads different compounds ?

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I don't know. I recently changed my front brakes because the pads was basically gone. The backs look brand new. It almost seems like Ford should have the brakes set up differently.

Boost safe Boost hard eH

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have used motorcraft and napa ultra premium on customers trucks. The motorcraft came back for replacement after 60,000 km , ford warrantied the pads , not the rotors.

The Napa ultra premiums came back after 20,000 km. napa warrantied pads and rotors.

When i have to do my own, i will likely use ford pads and napa rotors. Semi metallic pads are dustier and noisier , but generally stop well.

Both of the above trucks are work trucks and are driven daily stop and go, heavily loaded with tools.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Take it from an old brake and front end guy: ceramic pads are the bomb! BUT, they do need a greater number of easy driving to break them in properly. And the rotors should be turned prior to installation. The added cost and effort will be well worth (your life/safety) it.
My wife's Town & Country van was eating front pads until I put new rotors and ceramic pads on. It's been 2 years of excellent braking with the new pads.

Sent from my Siri instructed iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have about 10,000 miles on the Beast now. The front brakes are leaving a lot of dust on my rims, the rear are leaving none, I know the front brakes do more work but I would expect some dust on the back. Most of my driving is flat, not hills so anybody have any ideas ? . Are the front and rear brake pads different compounds ?
the brake compounds are not different but the proportioning for front to rear is drastically different roughly 60% on fronts and 40% on rears but that is a ballpark figure it could be even closer to 70/30.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Based on the brakes I pulled a few weeks ago, it's more like 80/20. Fronts were shot, rears looked like they were brand new.

So much boost it broke my hand eH

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
15 Participants
Raiderfan1890
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing