F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How’s it going everyone, a few days ago I became a owner to a 2013 f150 eco boost. This is my first truck and it’s so far been a “wth didn’t I get a truck before” type of adventure.
I was hearing a lot about the access port. However I noticed they don’t make one for my year. This is going to be my work truck, so I don’t want to get crazy with mods. However, I wouldn’t mind a little more power, haha I mean who doesn’t want more power??

anyway, if you guys could give me some advice and, maybe some ideas. That would be great. I’m going to also be reading up on here as well. Just figured you guys might be able to save me some time and money. Especially since you guys have Farrrrrrrr more experience than I do.
you guys rock!!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Welcome, plenty of reading here to get you set up correctly. Good maintenance, a good quality tune for a reputable tuner, proper plugs gapped to your tuners specifications, and a aftermarket intercooler for your platform will go along way.

I would not be sold on a open style air intake. Next would be exhaust mods, but if you just want what you mentioned, the 1'st half of my post will do you wonders.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, plenty of reading here to get you set up correctly. Good maintenance, a good quality tune for a reputable tuner, proper plugs gapped to your tuners specifications, and a aftermarket intercooler for your platform will go along way.

I would not be sold on a open style air intake. Next would be exhaust mods, but if you just want what you mentioned, the 1'st half of my post will do you wonders.
Tow your rock!! I was looking at the SCT tuner.. I figure I’ll stay stock and just tune it for now. Then slowly ease into the rest. :) I might pull the trigger today. Just want to make sure I get the right tuner set up 🙌🏽

·
Registered
101 Posts
Recommend buying Direct from 5* tuning
They will sell you the SCT BDX tuner, your choice of 3 custom tunes, plus you can still use the SCT camned tunes if you wanted.
I chose an adaptive octane tune, a mid grade tow and a 93 perf tune. Its your best value for money vs just buying the SCT tuner somewhere.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recommend buying Direct from 5* tuning
They will sell you the SCT BDX tuner, your choice of 3 custom tunes, plus you can still use the SCT camned tunes if you wanted.
I chose an adaptive octane tune, a mid grade tow and a 93 perf tune. Its your best value for money vs just buying the SCT tuner somewhere.

Ooooo wow!! You rock. That sounds like a good deal!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I think you gotta lot more reading to do?? If by "access port" your mean the ODBII port, those have been around since at least 1996 in ALL vehicles... :)

Since this is your first truck, what are your intentions for it? Going to be hauling stuff, towing stuff, just want to be the first one off the line, in a big truck?..

You can tune these things with programing until the world ends... So many to choose from, what do you get?? Dunno... I don't have any 'tune' on my 13 Eco and don't feel I need one, as I got mine for towing and it does all I need it to do out of the box... But, that's just me and my need.. You and a bunch of others have their own needs and do what they need to do to get there and this site will point you there for sure! :)

Welcome, congrats on going to the dark side of the "Eco" world and good luck on the path you decide to take. Mitch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you gotta lot more reading to do?? If by "access port" your mean the ODBII port, those have been around since at least 1996 in ALL vehicles... :)

Since this is your first truck, what are your intentions for it? Going to be hauling stuff, towing stuff, just want to be the first one off the line, in a big truck?..

You can tune these things with programing until the world ends... So many to choose from, what do you get?? Dunno... I don't have any 'tune' on my 13 Eco and don't feel I need one, as I got mine for towing and it does all I need it to do out of the box... But, that's just me and my need.. You and a bunch of others have their own needs and do what they need to do to get there and this site will point you there for sure! :)

Welcome, congrats on going to the dark side of the "Eco" world and good luck on the path you decide to take. Mitch
The accessport is made by Cobb. They have it for the Ford F-150. Just not on the 2013.

so far I went and got some All terrain tires as I noticed the tires that it came with sucked in the snow. Besides that I’m taking it slow.

I’m going to be towing and, working out of the truck. So don’t really want her to be loud. Guess I just wanted a bit more get up and go. I test drove a Chevy Silverado and, it felt more responsive and, powerful when I gave her gas. I just didn’t like the price compared to my used Ford. I guess my goals to get a little more power, without making a bunch of unnecessary noise. So figured a Ecu flash would be the ticket

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,549 Posts
That Chevy is alot less powerful than your Ecoboost.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The accessport is made by Cobb. They have it for the Ford F-150. Just not on the 2013.

so far I went and got some All terrain tires as I noticed the tires that it came with sucked in the snow. Besides that I’m taking it slow.

I’m going to be towing and, working out of the truck. So don’t really want her to be loud. Guess I just wanted a bit more get up and go. I test drove a Chevy Silverado and, it felt more responsive and, powerful when I gave her gas. I just didn’t like the price compared to my used Ford. I guess my goals to get a little more power, without making a bunch of unnecessary noise. So figured a Ecu flash would be the ticket
Tuning is the way to go with ecobeasts.
Most reputable tuners offer perf/tow that do some trans calibration for towing and still give a healthy power bump just not as wild as say a 93 perf only tune and generally they pull timing etc faster and are more senstive to knock etc. The thing is though is there are a few adaptive octane tunes out there but I haven't seen one yet specifically for towing.
If you are really working the truck most of these tunes require whatever octane you chose for the tune. Dont have a 91 tow tune and throw 89 in the tank you are asking for trouble. And most tuners do not recommend towing on any performance tune. So just some parameters to be mindful of when considering what to choose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That Chevy is alot less powerful than your Ecoboost.
😂🤣 you’re probably right haha. my butt dyno might just need some calibration then. 😂🤣 I’m not gonna lie I’ve only had this truck a few days. So I’m sure I’ll change my mind. I’ve been looking and a ton of members on here have some serious power. I didn’t even know it had a twin turbo when I bought it 😂🤣🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tuning is the way to go with ecobeasts.
Most reputable tuners offer perf/tow that do some trans calibration for towing and still give a healthy power bump just not as wild as say a 93 perf only tune and generally they pull timing etc faster and are more senstive to knock etc. The thing is though is there are a few adaptive octane tunes out there but I haven't seen one yet specifically for towing.
If you are really working the truck most of these tunes require whatever octane you chose for the tune. Dont have a 91 tow tune and throw 89 in the tank you are asking for trouble. And most tuners do not recommend towing on any performance tune. So just some parameters to be mindful of when considering what to choose.

Oh I was unaware tunes have come this far. So I can let’s say, have a) tune for work and some fun b) a daily driver when my kids are in the truck?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes exactly. I don't tow and since I am primarily a family hauler I am on the 93 tune for max power but I will most likely switch to the octane adaptive tune eventually just for ease of who cares whats in the tank.
People debate how much power you leave on the table with adaptive vs 93 performance, 20-40 hp I've heard but I haven't used it yet so I couldnt speculate.
Even so, I also ordered a tow tune should I need it, its on hand.
And no matter what tune you choose, mild to wild, it will certainly wake the truck up over stock.
And when you consider 500-600 bucks will get you the tuner and 2-3 custom tunes and up to 100+ hp the dollar vs value is off the chain with these trucks. Back,in the day 5-600 might have got us 30 hp? And a lot of busted knuckles? This is plug and play lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes exactly. I don't tow and since I am primarily a family hauler I am on the 93 tune for max power but I will most likely switch to the octane adaptive tune eventually just for ease of who cares whats in the tank.
People debate how much power you leave on the table with adaptive vs 93 performance, 20-40 hp I've heard but I haven't used it yet so I couldnt speculate.
Even so, I also ordered a tow tune should I need it, its on hand.
And no matter what tune you choose, mild to wild, it will certainly wake the truck up over stock.
And when you consider 500-600 bucks will get you the tuner and 2-3 custom tunes and up to 100+ hp the dollar vs value is off the chain with these trucks. Back,in the day 5-600 might have got us 30 hp? And a lot of busted knuckles? This is plug and play lol.
Ooooooo noooo way, seriously? Wow that’s insane. I remember when I had a 06 wrx back in the day and a simple ecu flash would get you a fancy tuner and like 5whp 😂🤣.. sounds like tunes have come a long way. So does this SCT I was recommended come with a decent OTS map? I noticed they come with a few. Just wasn’t sure if I actually needed a tuners touch for safety and relatability. I’m trying to weigh the ots option vs waiting and saving up for a better tune.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the community! Enjoy the mod projects
Thank you!! I've been exploring the page. Slowly learning.. Don't want to spend money unless its truly worth the price of admission haha.. Still Looking at the SCT, now just wondering if the bully is better than the X4... Or if i'm even looking at the wrong tuner. Figure the tune will be my first and only mod for the moment.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thank you!! I've been exploring the page. Slowly learning.. Don't want to spend money unless its truly worth the price of admission haha.. Still Looking at the SCT, now just wondering if the bully is better than the X4... Or if i'm even looking at the wrong tuner. Figure the tune will be my first and only mod for the moment.
I would steer you towards the SCT/Bullydog BDX tuner over the X4. X4 is old hardware compared to BDX and there is no difference in the price. All the reputable tuners support the BDX for custom tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
39 Posts
As mentioned check out Bulldog BDX. Looking forward to your build thread.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sct and bullydog are the same company nowdays. And BDX IS BDX with some small differences aka some will run on mac vs just Windows.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts